Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apoll

This game looks amazing! Going to be day one purchase for me.

Apoll

The_Admiral

Thank you all chaps, always great to read these nice comments, days will get colder but the warmth of the fans will still be there  :coolsmiley:

The monthly update has arrived, a bit late perhaps to fully qualify as an August item - but it's there. And to be honest, it's still last month in Midway, Ive just double-checked, so it's all fine ;)

Click on that big pic to reach it.

Hope we'll provide you with a good read for your morning coffee or commute! At any rate, take good care & stay safe.

MC

Quote from: The_Admiral on September 01, 2022, 05:36:02 AM
Thank you all chaps, always great to read these nice comments, days will get colder but the warmth of the fans will still be there  :coolsmiley:

The monthly update has arrived, a bit late perhaps to fully qualify as an August item - but it's there. And to be honest, it's still last month in Midway, Ive just double-checked, so it's all fine ;)

Click on that big pic to reach it.

Hope we'll provide you with a good read for your morning coffee or commute! At any rate, take good care & stay safe.

Very informative update as always. The skeuomorphic approach, while sounding like the ideal way to go, doesn't always work out in practice. Something this complex needs to expand beyond that point. I think the strategic map prototype counters are heading in the right direction.

By the way, what does this statement mean?  Hopefully, we'll see each other again for great news by the end of the Fall.
  :dreamer:

Toonces

I recently started taking a multi-vitamin so I'll be alive long enough to play this game!   :smitten:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

The_Admiral

Quote from: MC on September 01, 2022, 07:58:42 AM

Very informative update as always. The skeuomorphic approach, while sounding like the ideal way to go, doesn't always work out in practice. Something this complex needs to expand beyond that point. I think the strategic map prototype counters are heading in the right direction.

By the way, what does this statement mean?  Hopefully, we'll see each other again for great news by the end of the Fall.
  :dreamer:

Thank you MC!

Yeah indeed, issue being in this case that there is no real stuff to support the idea that people back in the day would use anything fancy for this job. Literally we have pics of staff using pins with a piece of white cotton or paper. Perhaps a colored head? Or even black beans or something like that, as you can see on the maneuver board in the last gameplay video I wouldn't be able to say. Point is, they kept it at such a simple level, helped by the fact that they were assisted by a staff readily available to tell them everything about each pin, that it would be impossible to satiate the expectations of a modern player using means of the day, especially the kind that expects stuff on the screen to actually be useful, data-wise, and convey some sort of info. Some have advised NTDS symbology, but besides the fact that it looks a bit too modern, it is also wholly inadequate unfortunately to stand for Task Forces by illustrating their mission, as they are only functional as tactical symbols. Even then, I tried modern symbology, and it's just not in phase with the era.

We end up using good old recipes - actually WitP does that, with a different silhouette for each mission. The difference is that it was much more visible fifteen years ago when we played WitP on a 1024x768 monitor than it is now on a widescreen, so we had to find another way to make it more obvious without being too flashy. The current method allows us to display icons in 128x128 & 64x64, so the player will actually be allowed to pick between two sets (the 128x128 one being especially useful on very big, widescreen configs). I also plan on providing another choice with a set of icon that puts the name of the TF type where the silhouette currently stands, but it ain't really a priority right now.

These little things take time now because we're preparing for the future - everything done right now won't need to be invented later, and these things better be called now rather than in a few months from now.

As for what happens in a few months from now... I have plans but it all depends on our progress. Can't call it slow, but I can certainly call it frustrating  ^-^

As for Toonces & Sir Slash, keep eating vitamins (staying healthy can't hurt, hehe!) but be aware that I am in as much a rush as you are. I'd like to have that game out before I retire or the world goes to crap, and seeing how fast the world is going to crap, options are few & limited - so, yeah, we're working hard on ironing the big part, and hopefully we'll all live to see how it looks like in the end, even if we end up playing it in a bunker, hehe  :crazy2:

The_Admiral

Hey there guys!
The latest monthly dev update for Task Force Admiral, all warm from the oven. We talk AI, GUI, little (blue & khaki) men, rivets: the usual intel! :knuppel2:

There you go, click on the pic:

Enjoy the cruise ya'll and have a great Friday!

The_Admiral

Our new Task Force Admiral dev update for October is live! With a few extra pics even those following us on our social platforms haven't seen just yet - & a lot of gibberish too. But no worries, if you're into PTO carriers, you'll probably like it still!  :coolsmiley:
Big thanks in advance for all the shares & likes on Steam! Rest assured that It always helps  :smitten:

Cheers & enjoy

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/3389548200201300023

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Looks beautiful.  It's going to be hard for a sim head like me to see all these beautiful planes and not fly them.  Especially since I just watched this enigma YouTube about how the sim community is in a dire need of a pacific combat flight sim and no one wants to tackle it.  His community organized a 100 player event in old IL2 1946 cause there's nothing out there since that covers pacific war.  But either way, this game looks like a day one purchase.

Toonces

I could have sworn I read something, somewhere, that the Il-2 BOX guys were working on a Pacific theater sim.  Maybe I dreamed it.

TF:A is looking tasty, Admiral! 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Old TImer

Task Force Admiral looks amazing.  A game I never thought possible back in the
pre-historic days when playing something like the old "Action Stations".

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: Toonces on October 31, 2022, 01:07:58 PM
I could have sworn I read something, somewhere, that the Il-2 BOX guys were working on a Pacific theater sim.  Maybe I dreamed it.

TF:A is looking tasty, Admiral!
A very long time ago their were iirc, but I think they shelved it due to lack of Japanese aircraft sources.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

em2nought

There was another Guadalcanal game being worked on several years ago that looked a bit like this, but it vanished.
Stolen elections have consequences.