Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Just yesterday I considered and dismissed the idea of getting a PC specifically dedicated to only running flight sims....

Guess that idea wasn't so crazy.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 16, 2022, 11:00:50 AM
Just yesterday I considered and dismissed the idea of getting a PC specifically dedicated to only running flight sims....

While that isn't the explicit intent of my gaming PC to which I have all my VKB and VR stuff attached, that is in practice how it tends to get used.

With the exception of the Steel Beasts Pro PE dongle I have on that PC... anyone still wondering why I'm on Grogheads? ^-^

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Skoop

Yep, would be cool if there was a companion mission to fly for dcs tomcat owners after watching this.

If you haven't read or audio'd the raven one series, they are top notch.  There's also a dcs f18 campaign that follows the first book.  It's a payware campaign, but really good sp experience.

Jarhead0331

Well...I did it. I'll probably be selling some of my TM Cougar MFDs and my Tek Creations F-18 UFC if anyone is interested.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

^ Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the whole plane instead of all the individual parts  :crazy2: ?

Good luck with the new equipment !

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 18, 2022, 08:56:48 AM
^ Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the whole plane instead of all the individual parts  :crazy2: ?

Good luck with the new equipment !

At this point...yes.

...and the problem with DCS, unrelated to all the peripherals, is that it is so poorly optimized for VR that you can spend many thousands on the latest GPUs, CPUs and RAM and it might not make much of a difference anyway.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

I'm likely not far behind you on this one JH.  I'm not sure how I'd manage to mount the thing effectively though. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 18, 2022, 02:34:33 PM
I'm likely not far behind you on this one JH.  I'm not sure how I'd manage to mount the thing effectively though.

It looks like it mounts direct to the table. Will that work for your set-up, or do you use your station for things other than flight simming?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

My station is multipurpose so that may be something down the line for me when I'm able to set up a dedicated simpit.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 16, 2022, 11:00:50 AM

Hell, naw!  That's one of my "bucket list," sort of things - worked hard all my life with very little things for me specifically being in this house.  I'd like to enjoy something before kicking the bucket.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 18, 2022, 08:30:30 AM
Well...I did it. I'll probably be selling some of my TM Cougar MFDs and my Tek Creations F-18 UFC if anyone is interested.

That is freakin cool! I am flying the F18 atm (in DCS). You have a favourite dcs server Jar?
Must be good not to have to squint or zoom into the MFDs. The hornet in particular is fairly jaring for this because that MFD between your knees and the RWR under your right MFD are hard to look at. I usually run the EW (RWR) on one mfd and the radar on the other with the SA in the centre. I can sort of see whats going on in the SA page without zooming at least.

P.S. What is the difference between what you are getting and this which is half the price? Definitely a different physical shape at the back.
https://wwsimstore.com/view/goods-details.html?id=380
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

The price difference between the units is that the cheaper one is VR dedicated and does not have the three screens in the MFDs. Although I fly almost exclusively VR, I still went with the screens in case I ever want to play in 2d. I do sometimes get the urge to revert to pancake for various reasons.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog