Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I need a new rig so I can get a VR set and run at max graphics. I might never leave the house
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Well, as it stand there is no way anyone will run DCS maxed out in VR.
Commonly seen is getting rid of MSAA, Cockpit Global illumination and switch to flat terrain shadows in order to get passable performance in more complex missions.

Perhaps the new GPU's will fare better.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on October 31, 2020, 05:47:38 PM
I need a new rig so I can get a VR set and run at max graphics. I might never leave the house

I cannot believe you are not using DCS in VR.... :hide:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 31, 2020, 01:56:45 PM
Progress of the sim pit. Hopefully, winwing panels will arrive next week.

THAT, looks very cool.  Not even sure what all of it is, but it looks cool.  I don't even want to start down the slippery slope of flight sims.  However, I would be tempted to build a cockpit and then wire it with all those flight controls.  I guess the problem might be that different cockpits have different interior setups.  So either a generic setup would have to be built or one based on a favorite aircraft ...... or one built for each favorite aircraft........  :hide:  See..... that's exactly why I don't want to start down the flight sim slippery slope.  I do enjoy the photos of your sim pit.     

Jarhead0331

Ultimately, my goal is to build something like this...

Probably without the monitor stand though since I mostly fly in VR.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Cougar_DK

Nice setup Jarhead.

I went all Virpil and bought their first control panel and mounted it over my throttle (and getting ready for the Control Panel #2):

And their ACE pedals:

And the setup as it is as of now: Two sticks (one for heli and one for all the other), one throttle, one control panel and pedals. On by sticks mounts are keyboard mounts (only shown on the center mounted)

I need a better table so I have not bothered doing anything with all the cables yet  ::)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 31, 2020, 05:54:45 PM
Quote from: mikeck on October 31, 2020, 05:47:38 PM

I cannot believe you are not using DCS in VR.... :hide:

Would love to but performance on old rig and.... frankly....it's gonna make me f'in sick!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Cougar_DK on November 08, 2020, 10:42:28 AM

Nice setup Jarhead.

I went all Virpil and bought their first control panel and mounted it over my throttle (and getting ready for the Control Panel #2):

And their ACE pedals:

And the setup as it is as of now: Two sticks (one for heli and one for all the other), one throttle, one control panel and pedals. On by sticks mounts are keyboard mounts (only shown on the center mounted)

I need a better table so I have not bothered doing anything with all the cables yet  ::)

My wife would gut me from balls to brains if I put all that stuff in the office!

Cougar_DK

Quote from: mikeck on November 08, 2020, 11:34:39 AM

My wife would gut me from balls to brains if I put all that stuff in the office!

Haha and even more if she knew the cost of it all  :uglystupid2:
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jarhead0331

Virpil panel looks fantastic. How do you like those pedals?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 08, 2020, 01:13:43 PM
Virpil panel looks fantastic. How do you like those pedals?

They are so much more precise than my old CH Pro Pedals. I'm still learning to use them and relax in legs and feet, since they move much different than the old ones. And I have same problem which I haven't solved yet as Snake Eater Company in his review, i.e. the move a little when in the extreme positions, since they are just sitting on the floor and I don't have any mounting options down there (yet) and drilling holes in the floor is not an option since my flat is rented :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt0_xUrhb7A

My old CH pedals did not move at all so this is the only negative about the Virpils right now.

The panel is really a nice addition to their setup, so much that I haven't even connected my stream deck to my new gaming pc  8)
There are three sheets of stickers one can mount on the buttons on the throttle and panel (the buttons with the red led light):

I have not tried it yet since I mostly fly DCS: A-10C, F-18 and Ka-50 so not sure what symbols to use.

Skoop

You could try Velcro on the bottom of the pedals to keep in place on the floor or get a sim pit pedistal to mount it on like jarhead.  Speaking of which, what and where did you get the pedistal for the pedals jarhead ?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on November 08, 2020, 03:21:42 PM
You could try Velcro on the bottom of the pedals to keep in place on the floor or get a sim pit pedistal to mount it on like jarhead.  Speaking of which, what and where did you get the pedistal for the pedals jarhead ?

It's by Next Level Racing with the flight sim module. I think I got it on amazon.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Skoop on November 08, 2020, 03:21:42 PM

That's a good idea. And it made me realise that I have something called 'nanotape', maybe I should try it first  :)

Jarhead0331

So the Winwing panels have arrived.

I can reach them relatively comfortably, but I would prefer if they were closer. I'm afraid that won't be possible though until I move to an actual simpit.

For now, its totally functional, albeit a bit overkill.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog