Changes in gaming preference.

Started by jomni, October 30, 2018, 01:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I am seasonal in almost everything I do too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

88mmkwk

Quote from: MikeGER on November 10, 2018, 04:53:22 AM
I just cant sit in front of a screen when the weather outside is clear and warm. (and this year we had the summer of a century in Germany)
and late night i am to tired and rather watch a Let's play or telly

In the past years i have developed a habit that came with checking out new games (most got the news of its upcoming existence here from the Grogs) to not read text previews or AAR anymore.
i look for a preview and at YT those by my favorite Letsplayers and these often turn into a longer Let's-play series that i follow.... summed up, these are many hours of time diverted from active gaming
(for example i liked to watch Xcom2 stuff by Christopher Odd then starting my one campaign, also i like some previews of  DasTactic and German Writing Bull, esp when it was about his Civilisation series)   

so when i am on the fence about a game i often stick with those Let's-play series and don't get the game at all ...or sometime get it later when on sale, fire it it up once, but don't play it much. the itch seems to had been scratched already with following the Let's Play ...but i still want to have it in the Steam collection for when the itch may come back.
so at the end of the day/month i didn't play as much as before

This is the exact situation I am in.

I have an odd obsession with the deepest of computer games due to a strange fascination with the discovery process of trying to mentally peel the onion of their complexity.  For example, I look at a game like Distant Worlds: Universe and find myself drawn to it due to the richness of the creation, yet I know that I would never be able to commit the hours that would be required to gain the skills to play it with any sort of efficiency.  I bought TOAW III years ago and probably played it 3 times.  I liked how flexible the system was and how deep a simulation it was.  But I never ended up spending any serious time playing it.

In a really weird irony, the things (complexity/richness) that draw me to a game are the very things that deter me from playing it (due to the time commitment required).  I then end up with a sort of purchase-depressive mood where I ask my self "why the hell did I buy this - I know I'll never play it..." type situation.  The adrenaline rush of acquisition soon fades and I simply have another game that collects digital dust...

I've recently spent more time watching Let's Plays than actual gaming, with RimWorld being the most current time sink.  I'm fascinated by the game and appreciate what a solo developer has managed to accomplish.  But by watching others play it instead of me having to invest time learning it and playing it, I can more easily devote the smaller chunks of free time life provides me at my age.  I also am a "social type" gamer and watching the Let's Plays with the associated narrative of the player makes it feel somewhat like a fun social gaming session with a buddy.

As a case in point for my condition, today the last day of a four day weekend from work with the Veteran's Day holiday.  Got all excited to have time to fire up Strategic Command WWII : War in Europe, which I bought a year ago with the hardbound manual.  Starting reading through the rules, and went up on Matrix games forum to look for an answer to a question I had.  Immediately encountered tons of threads saying to not solo the game as it will teach you bad habits playing against the AI - instead get into a game in the tourney ladder where you'll get your butt kicked but will learn the right strategies.  Without time to schedule regular meetups with an opponent to play it, it was a total buzz kill and I ended up not playing at all.

So after making my mandatory Groghead forum visit, I'll soon head back to YouTube to watch some Mius Front Let's Play videos.....  :dreamer:
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces