Masks - Why They Drive Me Nuts

Started by airboy, September 30, 2020, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atilla60

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 30, 2020, 04:26:11 PM
Yeah, the foggy glasses thing sucks.  (So does burping after a spicy curry dinner and having the gas you straight into your eyeballs.  It burns!)

Yep, it's like farting while sitting down. It goes right up your back.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Silent Disapproval Robot

We call that natural gas heating here in Canuckistan.

Atilla60

Which is a perfectly good explanation. Protect the climate and all that jazz.

Still, here in Denmark It's frowned upon. Especially at dinner tables.
<shrug>
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Sir Slash

That's when it's good to wear a mask. Nobody can tell it's you.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

demjansk1942

This entire mask situation makes me feel that the government is reducing my freedoms.  Especially, when 1/2 of the experts say they are useless.

Gusington

Well that would mean the other half are saying that masks are not useless. I'm willing to curtail the freedom of showing my adorable face if it means it could possibly save someone else.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P

I'll be happy when this face mask thing is over.  In this area some establishments expect you to wear it others don't.  I would often guess wrong about their expectations.  Now I have a neck tube one that works pretty well.  If its not needed it stays down.  If needed I can pull it up and into place with one hand.  Look kind of like a stagecoach robber but it works.

Sir Slash

The banks are open again here. I think I'll wear a mask, gloves, and head gear into one and see how understanding they are when I tell them, 'I'm just trying to protect you'.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

em2nought

Quote from: demjansk1942 on October 01, 2020, 07:21:35 PM
This entire mask situation makes me feel that the government is reducing my freedoms.  Especially, when 1/2 of the experts say they are useless.
It feels like a test to see just what they can get away with, and  I'd say they can get away with just about anything.  :arr:
Stolen elections have consequences.

Sir Slash

One thing they'll NEVER try to get away with, being HONEST. To be fair.... it is really hard for them.  :-X

ArizonaTank

Quote from: demjansk1942 on October 01, 2020, 07:21:35 PM

What experts are saying they are useless?

I haven't heard this from any medical experts in the last several months. A few weeks ago there was a local gym owner pushing the idea that masks were somehow dangerous (he never really explained how)...but I wouldn't consider him an expert.

I do seem to recall that in the early days of the pandemic, some medical experts questioned the effectiveness of masks. This was because anything short of a N95 mask doesn't really stop you from being exposed to aerosol infection.

However, more recently every medical expert I have heard has said masks combined with social distancing are effective against stopping us from splattering others with the saliva droplets we all fling at each other without even knowing it. Also, that while common masks do not eliminate the chance of aerosol infection, they do help mitigate the risk.

Granted my exposure to such opinions is limited, but I would say there is consensus that masks, when combined with social distancing are effective in reducing the chance that those shedding the virus will infect others.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

I haven't seen anyone say that masks are useless.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

The masks are a hassle, for sure.  They're inconvenient and not always that comfortable.  That said, if they help save a human life, I don't find it a huge imposition.

In the modern age, we can all find experts on the internet who tell us anything.  How we do that seems to be driven by computer search algorithms that are only interested in generating the most clicks so they can sell us advertising.

There was a little bit of ambiguity and confusion in the early days, and a lot of that has persisted on the internet.  But I think the understanding has been pretty clear for months and months now. 

1) Anything short of an N95 mask won't keep you from inhaling enough virus to infect yourself.  You don't wear a cloth mask to protect yourself.  2) If you wear any kind of cloth mask, you reduce the amount of virus you exhale into the atmosphere if you're infected.  That doesn't mean you CAN'T make somebody else sick, but you're less likely to, especially if you're just walking through the hardware store or standing in line at a grocery store.
3) There's no need to wear a mask if you're just walking around outdoors, in open space.  The risk of infecting anybody outdoors is HUGELY lower than indoors.

Masks are inconvenient.  Nothing about the coronavirus has been convenient. 

But I don't understand how anybody can argue that it's responsible to do your best to:  1) Avoid unnecessary large, indoor public gatherings;  2) Wear a mask when you're in indoors public spaces;  3) Get a test if you've been exposed to somebody who has it or start to have symptoms yourself.

Sir Slash

Face masks also need to be worn correctly to be effective. I see so many people wearing masks too small and with areas open at the top and sides that allow air in and out every time they breath. And people tugging at the outside of the mask which gets any germs on the mask, on your fingers, then.... wherever you touch unless you wash your hands or use disinfectant.  :hide:

jejo68

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2020, 07:34:39 PM
Well that would mean the other half are saying that masks are not useless. I'm willing to curtail the freedom of showing my adorable face if it means it could possibly save someone else.

Apparently if 2.5 mill. people wear mask every day it will help prevent 1 person having to be hospitalized every 2 weeks, according to official health experts here in Denmark.

On the positive side number of death from sickness is unusually low this year here, so I guess Covid is good for something.