What to do about Religion and Politics?

Started by Jarhead0331, October 20, 2020, 07:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Even I am getting sick of all the political topics. Games guys. Talk about games!

In the meantime, just trying to get a pulse on how the silent majority feels about R&P and how best to manage it.

Thanks for participating honestly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

I feel like it needs to be here to avoid it creeping into the actual game based forums.

That said I do not think it's threads should be on the most popular or any other highlight list. If someone wants to bookmark a thread that's their prerogative but I feel the active threads highlight should be regulated to the main purpose of this board games, be it war, board, pc, console or even trivia.

But that's just my opinion and I know what it smells like, no reason to remind me.

I am intrigued about the water boarding option, is that an elective or mandatory reading?  :crazy2:
Insert witty comment here.

ArizonaTank

Another option would be to let people opt out. Just like unregistered users who can't see R&P, let the user decide (tick box on their profile?) if they want to see it. I would be interested in such an option. Of course that function may not be supported by the forum software.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Anguille

I selected option 5!

I do read R&P and find it fascinating. On the other hand, i really dislike aggressiveness and like when people bring in facts and constructive discussions. I've been burned back then when we had the R&P in the Wargamer forum and haven't been as active since then. I've also learned not to involve myself in US politics....it's too hot.

Quote from: jamus34 on October 20, 2020, 07:25:20 AM
That said I do not think it's threads should be on the most popular or any other highlight list. If someone wants to bookmark a thread that's their prerogative but I feel the active threads highlight should be regulated to the main purpose of this board games, be it war, board, pc, console or even trivia.

I agree with Jamus, while i think it is an interesting sub-forum, theses specific R&P threads shouldn't pop-up on top of the forums (recent forum topics) as it pushes the visitors to click on the link. Don't know if it's possible.

airboy

It is a reasonable safety valve for the rest of the forum.

If you wish to make it less prominent, remove the category from the forum ticker.  If you wish to avoid the noise entirely, adopt Arizona Tank's option.

DO NOT MESS WITH COLLEGE SPORTS!

Jarhead0331

There are technical limitations to the options we can offer. If it is not listed as a poll option, assume that we either do not have the capability, or are otherwise limited by our level of technical sophistication. I don't want to press any buttons not knowing what will happen...whole planets have been destroyed that way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2020, 08:14:05 AM
There are technical limitations to the options we can offer. If it is not listed as a poll option, assume that we either do not have the capability, or are otherwise limited by our level of technical sophistication. I don't want to press any buttons not knowing what will happen...whole planets have been destroyed that way.
Ok. Then my vote goes to option 2.....we don't want the world to explode after all....

Doing this will imply that people going there really want to go in that forum, knowing what there're going to find there.

Tripoli

Would any of these proposals include posts about Jeffrey Toobin or Anthony Weiner, or can those be grandfathered? :D
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

MOS:96B2P

Tripoli

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on October 20, 2020, 09:05:27 AM
Quote from: airboy on October 20, 2020, 07:53:49 AM
It is a reasonable safety valve for the rest of the forum.

This.
I echo this sentiment.  IMHO, politics will be discussed on these forums.  The R&P forums keeps those discussions segregated.  With that said, Jarhead's comments requesting more gaming discussions is valid.  I'll try to do better in that regard.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

I agree, it is a safety valve...as much as I am sick of it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

I voted to leave it as is.  Personally, I've mostly stepped back from the R&P forum.  I still browse through it, but haven't posted much.  I think it will cool down after the election.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

I wouldn't miss it if it weren't there. At this point nobody's going to admit the other side's right and they're wrong. It only serves as a means to divide and aggravate the differences between us. On the other hand, it does display our ability to intelligently and respectfully disagree and discuss issues really important to today's headlines. Stopping the thread altogether would feel like the Cancel Culture has won personally. I'm OK with Option 5.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Does Option 2 mean shutting down the "recent posts" filter altogether, or just removing R&P from that list?  If it's the latter, I'm all for that option.  If it's the former, I'd like to rescind my vote and recast it for Option 3.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 20, 2020, 11:52:00 AM
Does Option 2 mean shutting down the "recent posts" filter altogether, or just removing R&P from that list?  If it's the latter, I'm all for that option.  If it's the former, I'd like to rescind my vote and recast it for Option 3.

I've tried to look for an option to do this, but I have not been able to find something that lets me do it. I agree that would be a very reasonable choice, but as of right now, it looks like I would have to shut off the index altogether.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog