What to do about Religion and Politics?

Started by Jarhead0331, October 20, 2020, 07:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Ubercat on October 21, 2020, 09:31:48 AM
Also, bringing up cultural differences as a possible cause of racial disparity seemed to lead to the assumption that I was naive and had little to no familiarity with actual black people.

Head scratchers for sure.

I asked you if you vetted your opinion with actual black people.  I didn't make any assumptions.  It was a perfectly reasonable thing to ask you given the topic.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

So far I find the poll results intriguing.

Leave it the way it is, we're all adults (35.7%)
Shut it down, lock it up and throw away the key (25%)
Shut down the 5 most recent posts index at the top of the forum so that the topics are not as prominent (17.9%)
Close it temporarily until election season is over and then reassess (14.3%)
Use R&P to identify political opponents so we can imprison and waterboard them (7.1%)

The majority thus far would leave it as is. But, it is certainly not overwhelming, with the shut it down completely option a close second. What's most troubling is that nearly 10% of voters are in favor of imprisonment and waterboarding.  :hide:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I voted for temporary moratorium until after the election (I might even suggest until February); but I can see good points for the other options, too. (Not the waterboarding ofc.  ::) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 21, 2020, 09:49:51 AM
What's most troubling is that nearly 10% of voters are in favor of imprisonment and waterboarding.  :hide:

For those who want to imprison and waterboard me, you will need my address : 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500

Ubercat

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 21, 2020, 10:42:10 AM
What's most troubling is that nearly 10% of voters are in favor of imprisonment and waterboarding.  :hide:

For those who want to imprison and waterboard me, you will need my address : 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500

You're not moving in until January, right?  :DD

Please no one assume from my joke that I like Trump. No matter what bullet we dodge next month we're walking face first into another one.   :-*
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

SirAndrewD

There's always time for Waterboarding.   :bd:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

Back on topic, why the number of posts in R&P versus all of the gaming forums?

Most of the game stuff does not engender either controversy or much discussion.  I'm playing this, this other thing is coming out, I like or dislike this game for whatever reason.  Just not a lot of discussion.  People will read them (I don't have access to the stats), but you don't get a lot of posts or discussion.

Even AARs, which have a story line, don't get a ton of discussion.

The books thread is a post with a huge number of total replies - but even there you don't have a lot of back & forth.

R&P by its nature is controversial, so you get a lot of back and forth which generates a lot of posts.

I suggest removing R&P from the "most recent posts" ticker and the problem will correct itself.

From personal experience, in the last week or so I've posted on:
a] A mini-review of Fleet Commander Nimitz - which had one or two comments.
b] Experience with modded Fallout New Vegas - with one or two comments.
c] Cocktail party & drink list - a handful of comments.
d] College Football - some back and forth
e] Some political stuff - with a lot of comments.
f] A question about the new gog release - which I don't think was ever answered.
g] A post on Sweden increasing their military spending substantially (some discussion)
h] A post today on a US Special Forces action involving the UAE and how that helped the peace deal with Israel.
i] I picture of my dog with a comment.

I started the thread or wrote the review on most of these (including this year's college football thread).  The current events things (nonpolitical) and the political things get the most commentary.  The game stuff seldom gets much commentary - even when it is a review of a brand new wargame of some sort.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Ubercat on October 21, 2020, 11:33:04 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on October 21, 2020, 10:42:10 AM

You're not moving in until January, right?  :DD

The way things are going I'll probably be moving out in January, but my wife told me she has to stay behind a year or two to help the new owners.  ;)

Pete Dero

Quote from: airboy on October 21, 2020, 01:14:35 PM
I suggest removing R&P from the "most recent posts" ticker and the problem will correct itself.

I never look at 'most recent posts'.  I always click 'show unread posts since last visit'.  The control freak in me can't risk to miss something  8).

JasonPratt

I always click unread posts and new replies (since I can't always recall which threads I've commented in), with an eye across the five most recent.

I can certainly see merit in the R&P stuff being blocked from the five most recent, although I'm unsure if that's technically possible with this forum engine. For what it's worth, I would suppose all member-only subcategories and their threads never show up there anyway for non-members? -- since visitors wouldn't be able to see them. So visitors only see the gaming stuff, not our political or non-gaming conversations?

Quote from: airboy on October 21, 2020, 01:14:35 PM
Back on topic, why the number of posts in R&P versus all of the gaming forums?

Generally agreed on all points, although with more effect from the current political climate of course -- once upon a time R&P rarely showed up on the five most current.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!