Main Menu

Theater Commander

Started by Jarhead0331, August 07, 2019, 05:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Probably not a real competitor to CMANO, but might be worth a look.

Theater Commander: The Coming Wars is a real-time modern warfare simulation game focusing on campaign and battle level. It features more than a dozen scenarios covering hypothetical conflicts around the globe, from the Sea of Japan to Korean Peninsula, from the Taiwan Strait to the Indian subcontinent, from Sinai Peninsula to East Europe and Crimea. In addition to traditional air and naval warfare, Theater Commander introduces large-scale land battles involving up to thousands of land units for each battle down to company level. You are posted as a joint force commander in command of assigned air, naval and land force consisted of up to half million soldiers to carry out missions such as destroying hostile fleets, landing on enemy territories, crossing borders and seizing control of enemy cities.

Features:

Each battle map, covering an area of up to 2000km x 2000km, is built on satellite verified terrain data (mountains, hills, plain, river etc), land cover data (forest, grassland, desert etc) and human facility data (road, railway, city, airport etc).

The game engine calculates the outcome of engagement based on terrain, unit strength, weaponry and morale, making each battle a real experience.

Most of the units involved in the battles, not only aircraft and warships, but also land units, are labelled with true names and equipped with weapons as they serve in their countries, to the best knowledge of Theater Commander developers through years of efforts on data gathering.

Theater Commander developers spent great time on making the game easier to play for players not having profound knowledge on modern warfare. For most operations, if desired, players only need to define the routes for the units, leaving tactical manoeuver, weapon selection and other parameters to the AI, just as a theater commander should do.

Like other air and naval warfare simulators, the game engine calculates the air and naval engagement based on a variety of parameters including but not limited to directional RCS, supersonic maneuverability, weapons envelope, and electronic technology. Missile attack and interception is calculated at real-time and displayed with smooth animation.

Theater Commander supports sophisticated military actions, such as airborne attack, helicopter assault and amphibious mission. Short-range ballistic missile, long-range cruise missile launch and interception are also included.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117490/Theater_Commander_The_Coming_Wars_Modern_War_Game/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Color me at least vaguely interested. 

But then again, I'm like a cat.  Wave something shiny in front of me and it'll probably end up in my Steam Library.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Huw the Poo

I really hate it when war games mix actual war footage into the trailers.  Just show me the goddamn game!

Anyway, this does look vaguely promising.  Thanks for the heads-up, Jarhead.

al_infierno

Looks cool -- I wonder how detailed the land combat will be compared to CMANO...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

So I take it this ISN'T about a guy who works at Theater 16?  ;D  Interested but not in love, yet.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

glen55

I love the idea of a command simulation, or even a command RPG, as differentiated from a wargame. We'll see what happens.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

IICptMillerII

Looks interesting to me, thanks for the heads up! I wish Steam did a better job of advertising these kinds of games to me instead of the usual fluff.

As far as I'm concerned, the more simulators like this the better. My first impression from giving the Steam page a once over is that it won't be comparable to CMANO in terms of capability or depth, but it may excel in certain areas that CMANO isn't focused on, like land warfare.

Anyone see any mention of an editor? In my opinion one of the strongest attributes of CMANO and other wargames/sims is having an editor to customize and create your own scenario's.

Grim.Reaper

only $9.99 and $8.99 for limited time.  available now

mbar

I had every reaction posted in this thread to this game. You guys are great!

Ian C

Anyone notice that those game screenshots are from an unactivated Windows PC ?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Ian C on August 08, 2019, 10:06:13 AM
Anyone notice that those game screenshots are from an unactivated Windows PC ?

Done in a VM possibly.

MC

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 08, 2019, 01:08:06 PM
Someone posted a few thoughts on Steam

This:  In the land based scenarios the map is a pain to interpret. The units are too small and are difficult to see. The map is too "busy" and doesn't really communicate clearly and quickly the information needed to play the game.

That was my impression from just looking at the screen shots. They need to do something different with the terrain graphics.

Huw the Poo

I did find it amusing that he complained about difficulties scrolling the map.  My first thought was: have you played CMANO?  Then I realised a few lines further down that he had....

Huw the Poo

My trigger finger has been poised over this for a while but the signs aren't good.  Nothing positive is being said on the Steam forum, and the sole review is negative from a guy who can't even run the game properly.  Also, the developer's own website doesn't load.

Jarhead: I look forward to your impressions!