Redskins trademarks cancelled by US Patent office

Started by steve58, June 18, 2014, 12:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

So I guess if the media/"public outrage" can't force the Redskins to change their name, then the gov't can/will step in to force them.

The U.S. Patent Office has canceled six trademarks belonging to the Washington Redskins football team, saying they are offensive to Native Americans.

In a decision released Wednesday, the office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that "these registrations must be canceled because they [are] disparaging to Native Americans."

The Patent Office said it will continue to treat the trademark registrations as though they are valid while the team appeals the decision. The team has two months to do that, and the whole process could take years.
In the meantime, the Redskins can continue to use the logos.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/18/news/companies/patent-office-redskins/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bayonetbrant

I wonder if that same wedge could be used to cancel Disney's trademarks on Mickey Mouse for the 1930s-era racism in his very early cartoons.  Or Bugs Bunny or Popeye facing off against the Japanese?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 18, 2014, 12:43:32 PM
I wonder if that same wedge could be used to cancel Disney's trademarks on Mickey Mouse for the 1930s-era racism in his very early cartoons.  Or Bugs Bunny or Popeye facing off against the Japanese?

Has someone actually brought the case up or is it do gooders stepping in

We had a few instances over here of the gollywog getting banned, and whilst I'd like to think it was urban myth I think they stopped singing ba ba black sheep in infants schools, there were a few cases recently that involved the Muslim communities to the extent that the spokesmen for them had to come out and say we want you to know the Muslims have nothing to do with this and it eventually turns out to be left wing fool's speaking on their behalf - hence the who started the complaint question

Marty Ward

I heard Harry Reid say he wouldn't go to another one of their games until they changed their name. I also heard Snyder was thinking of changing the name to the Reidskins. that ought to make everyone happy!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

OJsDad

Does anyone know if Snyder has tried to work out a deal with one of the tribes for naming rights.  Something along the lines of what FSU has with the Seminoles. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

The problem is that if the team drops the name Redskins, what are they going to use for a new team name? Whatever name that crappy team uses, it's going to offend someone. The Washington Pink Elephants? Nope, offensive to drunks and elephants.

Why don't they just adopt the unofficial name everyone already uses? The Washington Suckbags.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

eyebiter

steve58

I can only imagine what it would cost the Washington ***(being politically correct here ;))skins to change their name. Maybe Harry Reid can pick up the tab.  He can afford it since he's made millions from all those real estate deals he's done since he's been a "senator"...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

I also have a problem with the name Washington. The team is in Maryland. They should be called the Maryland 'whatevers'.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

I like the guy that used to write for Sports Illustrated who used to always call them the "lower Potomac basin indigeneous persons"

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

does this mean anyone can simply start printing their t shirts and kit?

bayonetbrant

Not until the appeal is resolved.  Once an appeal is lodged, the status quo is preserved until the appeal process is done.

They've been through this once before, and the appeal process took 17 years