Fire & Maneuver - reviving the holy ghost of Age of Rifles

Started by The_Admiral, April 21, 2022, 07:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Admiral

While browsing through these noble corridors, I realized to my surprise that nobody seems to have opened a topic about some project that has been going for a certain time already - name's Fire & Maneuver.

It is a bit of a new way of doing it - the instigator being the owner of the Armchair Historian channel, who decided to re-invest his Google bills into something that might give fans of Age of Rifles plenty reasons to rejoice. A lot of devlogs have been posted over the course of the last year, and I am sure some of you 19th century fans will find much contents to please your senses. Although it is not totally AoR - it is going its own way system-wise, and is being pretty innovative if you ask me - the care given to the project and some details, such as the possibility of equipping troops with different generations of firearms, are definitely reminiscent of the old classic. Check that out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrTqCbgTmF5eM-oyzazzzg

Here's the latest devlog:

Note that everything is naturally in development. As for the game proper, you can already wishlist it on Steam  :coolsmiley:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1679290/Fire_and_Maneuver

At the end of the day, might not be exactly what you would be expecting, but it might also be something you didn't know yet you'd wish for. For certain, an engine that can tackle Crimea, Sadowa, the Civil War, the Franco-Prussian war, etc... all in one deserves some attention. But that's just my opinion  ;)

Dammit Carl!

Cool!  And thank you!

Age of Rifles was one of my fave's back in the day, so always glad to see something with a similar focus.

Gusington

The above almost reads like someone hacked The Admiral's account...

...that said, Fire and Maneuver does get my GIGGITY up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

See Gus,

I hacked his account.
And now using F&M I have clearly hacked your pants.

What will be next? I wonder  :coolsmiley:

W8taminute

Looks interesting. 

Steam description does not indicate but...
Is there a grand campaign that includes empire management in addition to the tactical battle system?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

SirAndrewD

No, this is too good.  Age of Rifles? 

This can't be real life......

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

son of guest

Man panties are certainly tightening.  The impression I got from the video was that it might be years away from release but the comments from the developer on Steam indicate that a June release for early access is likely. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

An "Age of Rifles" of reboot is just money sitting on the table.

Look at what The Lordz did with SSI's old classic "Panzer General"...The Lordz did minimal changes to the SSI concept and called the new one "Panzer Corps"...they then turned it into a successful series.

That is all someone has to do with AOR. Hopefully these guys are paying attention.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on April 21, 2022, 09:12:00 AM
Looks interesting. 

Is there a grand campaign that includes empire management in addition to the tactical battle system?

Can't remember...did the original Age of Rifles have a grand campaign and empire management?  I only remember tactical battles.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rayfer on April 22, 2022, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 21, 2022, 09:12:00 AM
Looks interesting. 

Can't remember...did the original Age of Rifles have a grand campaign and empire management?  I only remember tactical battles.

No, AOR did not have a grand campaign. Only tactical battles. But it had a really strong set of editors. You could even modify unit uniforms, weapons carried (first and secondary weapons) and all sorts of parameters. Kind of like the Operational Art War, but for 19th century tactical battle (both games had the same designer/developer: Norm Koger). You might have been able to string scenarios together to form a campaign, but I can't recall off-hand. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.