AAR: CMO Red Tide

Started by Tripoli, October 25, 2021, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

SPOILER ALERT

I recently picked up the latest DLC for Command Modern Operations.  This latest DLC addresses a hypothetical NATO/WP conflict in 1985. This is also the same time frame that I was a young Ensign in the USN, so the topic has some personal interest to me.  I will try to play through the whole DLC here (and at the same time finish my Flashpoint Campaign AAR, which features a ground  invasion of Germany at approximately the same time).   

The First scenario is "the Bedford Incident" based loosely on the movie and book of the same name.  The scenario introduction is as follows:

Date/Time: 1st April, 1985/ 08:00:00 Zulu
Duration: 1 Day
Playable Sides: NATO
USS Bedford, a US 2nd Fleet destroyer is on patrol near the Svalbard Islands together with HNoMS Narvik, and they have been repeatedly overflown by Soviet aircraft, including low-level passes at main deck level.
Bedford has also had fleeting contacts on sonar, which is believed to be an unknown submarine in territorial waters.
Even though hostilities have not broken out, the Bedford's captain is hell bent on bringing it to the surface – or worse...

OVERVIEW
The increase in tensions between NATO and the Soviet Union has intensified over the last 2 weeks, this has been more so in the Barents Sea region with various intermittant contacts of submarines along the Norwegian coast.
USS Bedford, HNoMS Narvik and a detachment of Orions based in Banak have been conducting round the clock patrols in the vicinity of Svalbard Islands.

ORDERS & CONDUCT OF OPERATIONS
USS Bedford and associated air assets are to conduct aggressive ASW Patrols in their allocated areas.  Any Submarine contact is to be forced to the surface if detected in the Svalbard Islands TTW. Units are to only fire in self defence.
Soviet MRR Aircraft have been deployed to Greem Bell, Intelligence suggests the Submarine is onroute to RV with a Submarine Support Ship.

ORDER OF BATTLE
Surface Forces
•   USS Bedford
•   HNoMS Narvik
Banak
•   333 Sqn Det P-3 Orion

THREAT
Surface Forces
Unknown Submarine Support Ship
Sub-Surface
Unknown Submarine
Air
Be-12 Mail MRR

COMMAND & CONTROL
Flagship - USS Bedford
EMCON
Limited Transmission on all sensors

Environmental
The sea state is 3, with light clouds at 20,000 feet.  The water is isothermal, with no Convergence Zone.

The ASW conditions are good, so I hope to detect the submarine relatively quickly.  My plan is to have the  USS Bedford and HNoMS Oslo to work in close proximity to each other for mutual support and to maximize their limited sonar search. This will also maximize their limited AAW capability against any air threat from Greem Bell.
My search strategy will be to use the P-3Bs to quickly develop a surface picture and locate the submarine support(AS) vessel.  Once that is located, the MPA will set up a search barrier to detect the SSB as it approaches the AS. 
EMCON ALPHA (no emissions) will be the initial setting for the surface ships.  If they are detected by Soviet MPA, they can go to EMCON DELTA (unrestricted emissions).

On scenario start, I launch a P-3B from Banak.  However, it is over 500 nm to the OPAREA, so it will take 1.5 hours to arrive ONSTA. 

At 0815 NATO receives a message report from fishing boats that a large Soviet ship was located near the coastline. See Figure 1.  Because the vessel is described as a large Soviet ship it may be the submarine support vessel. I did not expect it to be located at close to Svalbard.  The HNoMS Oslo is sent to investigate the contact, and the enroute P-3B is  vectored to provide a VID.

Image 1 010849Z April 1985

At 0920, the the HNoMS Oslo VIDs a Primorye-class AGI.
At 0930, fishing boats report a periscope invic 7933N03350E  The USS Bedford is nearby and is sent to this location. See Image 2.  During this time, Soviet Be-12 MAIL flying boats are detected operating near the USS Bedford, and at 0944Z, one is VID'd.  Because the USS Bedford has been detected, it goes to EMCON DELTA.  The P-3 is retasked from VID'ing the possible large Soviet vessel and sent to this periscope sighing location. 

Image 2 010926Z April 1985

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

At 1016Z, the BEDFORD picks up an underwater contact with its AN/SQQ-23A active sonar. in the vicinity of the periscope sighting.  The P-3B arrieves at approximately this time and begins to lay a bouy pattern.  There are numerous schools of fish in the area, generating false submarine contacts, but the underwater contact initially detected by the BEDFORD appears to be a submarine, as it is holding a steady 2 knt course at 233 feet depth.  The P-3 is retasked to sanitize the area immediately to the west of the BEDFORD, while the BEDFORD establishes a station 1 nm astern of the PROBSUB  and begins "Hold Down" ops.  At 1031Z, a second P-3B is launched early  from Banak to provide additional ASUW and ASW capability.    At 1242Z, this second P-3 rigs  a surface contact that was in the vicinity of the reported "large Soviet vessel" that had previously been reported at 0815Z.  The aircrew VID the contact as a Soviet Don-class submarine tender.

Figure 3 011242Z April 85

By 1330Z, the OSLO has a visual on the Don AS, and the second P-3 is sanitizing the area to ensure there are no submarines in the vicinity of the Don.  The BEDFORD is continuing hold down ops, and the first P-3 has sanitized the area to the west of BEDFORD, and is about to check OFFSTA and return to Banak.

Figure 4 011330Z April 85

Tripoli

At  1346Z BEDFORDs subsurface contact is classified as a CERTSUB and is typeclassed as a GOLF II SSB.  BEDFORD continues the hold down ops. A third P-3B is launched from Banak at 1535Z to relieve the second P-3. 

By 1700Z, I'm satisfied that the area around the Don AS is clear of submarines, and that the BEDFORD has contact on the only submarine in the area.  Because of this, and due to the possible air threat from  Greem Bell, I have the incoming P-3s take over surface surveillance operations (SSC) in the western part of the AOR, while having the OSLO rejoin BEDFORD in the hold down operations.  Although OSLO has a light air defense capability, it is more capable of defending itself than a P-3.

Image 5 011703Z April 85

In the ensuing 9 hours, the OSLO rejoins the BEDFORD and continue to hold down the GOLF II.  Numberous MAIL MPA fly  in the vicinity of the NATO ships, but none engage.  At 020421Z, a Harpoon-equipped P-3 engages and sinks the Don AS, while the OSLO sinks the GOLF AS with torpedoes.

Note: I was a little confused by the victory conditions, which specified that NATO could only attack in self defense.  Since I was never attacked, in my first play through I simply sat on the Soviet ships and submarines, with strike ready ships and P-3.  However, I scenario end, I had a score of "0", so I could not advance in the campaign.  I simply went back to a previous save, and attacked. Possibly the fact that the Don AS was in Norwegian territorial waters was sufficient cause belli 

Image 6 020421Z April 84

Tripoli

SPOILER ALERT
Scenario 2: Kobayashi Maru
In this scenario, I'm playing as the Soviet side.  Basically, the scenario is a "first strike" on a US CVBG and an Italian CH in the Central Med.  The initial scenario and orders from the game are below:

Soviet Union vs. NATO
Date/Time: 1st April, 1985/ 08:00:00 Zulu
Duration: 10 Hours
Playable Sides: Soviet Union
Soviet doctrine called for an all-out attack on any American Carrier Battle Group (CVBG) within reach in the first minutes of a conflict. Not only were CVBGs powerful naval forces, but strategic nuclear strike platforms as well.
To accomplish this goal, American Carriers were relentlessly followed from the moment they left port, either with satellites, destroyers or intelligence ships (AGIs) which would follow the carrier battle group wherever it went, always reporting the CVBG's position.
If peace suddenly changed to war, the units shadowing the CVBG would give the other attacking forces the position of the carrier, and if possible also attack it themselves.
With this in mind, an agreement was formulated called the "Incidents at Sea Agreement" between the USA and the Soviet Union: Hostile acts include not only firing weapons, but also locking a fire-control radar onto another vessel.
With such an expansive definition of a "hostile act", what can possibly go wrong?

ORDERS & CONDUCT OF OPERATIONS
Since the "Bump and Grinds" in the Black Sea between US and Soviet Naval units last month NATO has increasingly become more aggressive in their operations.Over recent weeks units of the Black Sea Fleet have deployed to the Mediterranean including a "Goodwill Deployment" of a Regiment Su-17 Fitter Attack Aircraft.
The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CVBG has been conducting ASW Exercises with Italian units around the Island of Malta, these units have constantly harassed our peaceful AGI's by trying to ram them on many occasions.The Destroyer Nadezhnyy [Mod Kashin] has been in the forefront of these acts sustaining minor damage in one incident.
Adm Aleksey Mikhailovich Kalinin at Head Quarters in Sevastopol has now issued Orders to the Fleet to patrol areas to counter any threats by NATO.Even though Hostilities have not broken out Rear Adm Vladimir Kalabin of the 5th Eskadra stands ready to turn the Mediterranean Sea in to a Sea of Blood.
CONDUCT
Both Juliett SSG are to close US CVBG at slow speed to maintain missile firing solutions, Land based Aircraft are to be at immediate notice to launch, Badger aircraft based in Tripoli are to launch and patrol designated MRR Patrol Area.
Patrol Area One
•   Adm Makarov KUG
•   B-213 [Foxtrot Class SSK]
•   K-493 [Alfa Class SSN]
•   K-53 [Victor I Class SSN]
•   Ladoga [Mayak Class AGI]
Patrol Area Two
•   Nadezhnyy [Mod Kashin]
•   B-40 [Foxtrot Class SSK]
•   K-209 [Charlie II Class SSGN]
•   Alidada [Okean Class AGI]
ORDER OF BATTLE
Adm Makarov KUG
•   Admiral Makarov [Kresta II Class CG]
•   Marshal Vaslevskiy [Udaloy I DDG]
•   Otiichnyy Sovremenny Class DDG]
•   Smyshlenny [Mod Kashin]
•   Rezvyy [Krivak II FFG]
Sub-Surface Units
•   B-40 [Foxtrot Class SSK]
•   B-213 [Foxtrot Class SSK]
•   K-318 [Juliett Class SSG]
•   K-67 [Juliett Class SSG]
•   K-209 [Charlie II Class SSGN]
•   K-493 [Alfa Class SSN]
Dzhankoy Air Base
•   Tu-22M-3 Backfire C [12] 30th OMARP
Tripoli
•   Tu-16R  Badger E [3] 30th OMARP
•   Su-17M-3 Fitter H [12] 846th Regiment
Detached Units
•   Alidada [Okean Class AGI]
•   Ladoga [Mayak Class AGI]
•   Nadezhnyy [Mod Kashin]

NATO Threat
Surface
•   Eisenhower Task Group
o   USS Dwight D. Eisenhower [Nimitz Class CVN]
o   USS Wainwright [Belknap Class CG]
o   USS Mississippi [Virginia Class CGN]
o   USS Coontz [Farragut Class DDG]
o   USS Sampson [C.F Adams DDG]
o   USS Spruance [Spuance Class DD]
o   USS Koelsch [Brooke Class FFG]
o   USS E. McDonnell [Garcia Class FF]
o   USS Voge [Garcia Class FF]
o   USS E. Montgomery [Knox Class FF]
o   USS Butte [Killauea Class AE]
o   USS Savannah [Wichta Class AOR]
o   
•   Garibaldi Task Group
o   ITS G Garibaldi [CVH]
o   ITS Audace [Audace Class DDG]
o   ITS Aliseo [Maestrale Class FF]
o   ITS Orsa [Lupo Class FF]
Sub-Surface
•   USN SSN unlocated
•   Italian SSK unlocated
Air
•   Eisenhower Airgroup comprising F-14 Fighter, A-6 and A-7 Attack with associatted AEW and ASW fixed and rotary wing aircraft, Garibaldi Airgroup consists of ASW Helicopters.
•   F-104 Fighters based in Italy may way be supporting the Garibaldi Task Group.
COMMAND & CONTROL
Sevastopol HQ - Adm Mikhailovich Kalinin Commanding
EMCON
Limited transmission on all sensors

Tripoli

Mission Analysis and IPB

Environment:
   Area of Operations (AO): The AO is the subsurface, surface, and air region as designated as AO1 and AO2 in red and shown in Figure 1. 
   The Area of Interest (AI): The AI is the subsurface, surface, and air region bounded located  outside this area.

Figure 1.

Significant Characteristics of the Battlespace Environment: The Area of Operations in the immediate expected battle area (AO1) is geographically small.   It is near the Soviet airbase in Tripoli, which is less than 300 nm from the US and Italian CVBG boxes. However, it is geographically remote from the Soviet airbase in the Crimea, with the air craft having to fly approximately 900 miles before being able to launch missile attacks on the CVBGs. The no fly areas around Turkey and Italy effectively limit air operations through a narrow corridor at the exit from the Adriatic into the Mediterranean.

Sunrise/Sunset: The entire scenario will almost be entirely in daylight. (Sunrise for Malta is at 0448Z.  Sunset is at 1724 and dusk is at 1749Z).

Metrology: The weather should not be a factor in the scenario. Skies are clear, and the Sea State is 0.

Hydrology: Water depths the AO range from approximately 900-1300 feet in the in the eastern portion of AO1, to only 200-500 feet the the western portion. Parts of the Gulf of Sidra are less than 200 feet deep.  A layer from 200-500 feet in depth exists throughout the AOR 1. There are no Convergence Zones (CZs) in the AOR.  Noise levels are relatively high in the central Mediterranean. 

Land Dimension: Not Applicable for scenario purposes.

Maritime Dimension:

The NATO naval forces are engaged in a ASW exercise, so I am expecting them to remain essentially MODLOCKED in the central Mediterranean.

Air/Space Dimension:

Space, electromagnetic and cyberspace dimensions:
Space: Soviet ELINT satellites Will have LOS over the central med for most of the scenario period, so I should have good general location data on any emitting NATO radars.  There are no NATO satellites in the game

Electromagnetic and Cyber Dimension: Expected maximum air radar ranges are shown as the white circles in Figure 1 above.  However, the radar horizon is limited to only about 150 nm for land-based NATO radars against air targets traveling under 5000 feet MSL.

HF and UHF communications are expected to be unaffected throughout the region
Cyberspace: N/A

Time Dimension: The scenario lasts for 10 hours.    This time period is insufficient for additional USSR surface and sub-surface units to deploy to the AOR

Political and Demographic Dimension: Soviet forces can not cross or attack Turkey and Italy proper.  NATO forces are presumably unable to fire until they are illuminated or fired on by Soviet units.

Battlespace Effects on Courses of Action (COA)

NATO: The relatively narrow geographical area will limit the ability of the NATO naval forces to avoid identification, localization and targeting by the USSR
   USSR: The short scenario time and long transit times for forces based in the Crimea means that there will only be one strike by the Crimea-based Backfires.  The NATO sea-based air superiority, combined with the inability to attack the Italian airbase at Gioia del Colle means that NATO will have air superiority over the Central Mediterranean.  The relatively small area and the presence of NATO E-2C AWACs aircraft make it highly likely that the Soviet surface fleet will be quickly sunk once hostilities begin.  This in turn means that the Soviet must make a coordinated first strike with all units.

Tripoli

2. Initial Positions 010800Z April 1985

The initial positions of the NATO and Soviet forces are shown in Figure 2 and 3. NATO forces consist of the EISENHOWER CVBG located SE of Malta, and the GIBRALDI CHBG located east of Malta. In addition to the CVBG airwing, the Italians have an unknown number of F-104 Starfighters and some Atlantique MPA operating out of an airbase near Taranto.  A NATO SSN and SSK are unlocated.

Air assets include a  Regiment of 12 Tu-22M BACKFIRE Cs equipped with the AS-4 missile are located in the Crimea, and a regiment of 12 Su-17 FITTER Cs armed with AS-9 ARMs is located at Tripoli. Surface forces include the ADMIRAL MAKAROV Surface Action Group (SAG) consisting of a Kresta II CG, Udaloy DDG, Sovremenny DDG, a Mod Kashin DDG and a Krivak II FFG is located near the suspected GIBRALDI (Italian) CHBG.  (Note: in this scenario, the Soviet units are colored light blue, and NATO will be orange until hostilities, then they will convert to red).  Two AGIs are tattle tailing each of the NATO battlegroups.  In addition, an SS-N-2C-equipped Mod Kashin is tattle tailing the Eisenhower.

Soviet Submarines include two JULLIET SSGs, equipped with the 250nm range SS-N-3. Unfortuately, the JULLIET must surface to fire these missiles.  However, there is also a CHARLIE I SSGN equipped with the 80 nm range SS-N-9 missile.  The Soviets also have two FOXTROT SS. a VICTOR I SSNand and ALFA SSN class operating in the CENTMED.

The Soviet side is allied with the Libyans in this scenario.  However, they are not controlled by the Soviet player.  Libya has a Foxtrot SS and a Koni FF in the CENTMED, plus some AS-5/SA-2 and SA-3 SAM sites protecting the Tripoli airbase.

Figure 3 Initial Positions 010800Z April 1985 Detail

Tripoli

My plan for the attack on the NATO forces is intended to accomplish the following:
1) Sink or render Combat-ineffective
2) The  EISENHOWER and GIRABALDI battlegroups
3) while minimizing losses to the Soviet combat units.
To maximize the chance of accomplishing these objectives, I will use a simultaneous, first strike on both battlegroups. 

The main attack will be made by the BACKFIRE C bombers, supported by SEAD from the Su-17s against the EISENHOWER CVBG.  While a multi-threat axis attack is preferable, the range the Tu-22Ms have to fly will make it difficult to create such a threat axis, as they will be limited to attacking the CVBG from the NE.  However, the two JULLIET SSGNs and the CHARLIE II  SSGN are positioned west, south and east of the CVBG, so a coordinated strike with these assets and the Su-17s , in conjunction  with the BACKFIREs will provide a multiple threat axis attack, significantly complicating the USN defensive problem.  See Image 4.

Simultaneously, the Soviet SAG, supported by  2 elements of Su-17s providing SEAD will strike the GIBRALDI CHBG.

There are several problems with this plan.  First, the coordination will be difficult, due to the disparity of the weapon ranges involved.  More critically, the Soviets have to launch the first effective strike, which means that the BACKFIRE bombers can not take very much attrition from F-14 or F-104s before they reach their launch points.  I plan to minimize the possible BACKFIRE losses by minimizing warning time by having the Tu-22s fly part of the route below the radar horizon of the NATO radars in Turkey. I calculae that by stepping down from 24,000 feet to 12,000 feet altitude enroute to "Waypoint 1" (See image 4 below), the Tu-22M's can remain below the radar horizon of the NATO radars in Turkey.  At Waypoint 1, they will climb to 36,000 feet for fuel conservation, as the NATO radars in Italy will be able to pick them up at any altitude they could fly that would give them suffiecient fuel to reach their launch point.  While not ideal, this flight profile will limit NATO's warning.  Further, I will have the Su-17s approach the CVBG from from the south will hopefully divide up the CVBG CAP. 

Image 4.  Attack Plan

Con

Love the AAR
I always looked at the Radar range symbols as if the map was flat and not curved.  Does the game take the altitudes and distance for curvature of the earth in its calculations (ie I always set my altitude at <2000 feet as soon as I was within the radars range).
Con

Tripoli

Quote from: Con on November 05, 2021, 08:05:23 AM
Love the AAR
I always looked at the Radar range symbols as if the map was flat and not curved.  Does the game take the altitudes and distance for curvature of the earth in its calculations (ie I always set my altitude at <2000 feet as soon as I was within the radars range).
Con

CMO does take into account the curvature of the earth in calculating the radar horizon.  If you want to go "old school" you can use a nomograph to calculate the radar horizon. (see below)  If you want to go web based, this site will give you good numbers: https://www.translatorscafe.com/unit-converter/en-US/calculator/radar-horizon/   However, be sure to zoom in on the map for the radar  facilities to see what elevation they are at.  Additionally, the mast height is given in the database for the radars, so add that to whatever the terrain elevation is.  Generally, you are safe by adding 30 meters, but if it is crucial, be sure to check the actual database for the mast height.

Tripoli

Initial Strike Planning (0800-0900Z)

Because my orders are to wait for higher headquarters to strike the NATO forces, I begin to position the Soviet assets to conduct a strike when ordered. At 010810Z April 85 the MAKAROV KUG (Korabelnaia Udarnaia Gruppa ) (note: equivalent to the USN Surface Action Group) is directed to close possible GIRABALDI CHBG.  The DDG SMYSHLENNY (Mod Kashin) ordered to proceed 10 nm  ahead of MAKAROV KUG to put GIRABALDI CHBG within its 45 nm range SS-N-2c weapons envelope.  The  Sovremeny DDG , with its 70nm range SS-N-22 will remain with the main body.  The KUG's Helix helicopters beginsurface search to ensure there are no threats to the KUG/SAG. Meanwhile, the NADEZHNYY (Mod Kashin DDG) is ordered to close USS EISENHOWER,  and begin Tattletail duties NADEZHNYY is currently 17 nm from USS EISENHOWER.  USN CVBG is in EMCON B, with only sonar emissions are detected.

To minimize the chance of detection the CHARLIE II SSGN and JULLIET SSG are ordered to go deep and contact HQ in 2 hours.

At 010838Z April 85     Two F-14 pass 23nm from MAKAROV KUG at 1500 feet.  This likely indicates that the KUG has been detected.  I'm also concerned that if the USN has a CAP station (CAPSTA) this far out, it could potentially interfere with an attack from my BACKFIREs.  See the figure below:

Sitrep 010832Z April 85

At 010900Z April 85   Sevastopol HQ directs an attack pre-briefed targets at 1200Z, and to continue engagement until targets are sunk.  With the 1200Z TOT (Time on Top) time, I can now begin actual flight planning.  The draft plan is below.  The chief problem is the NATO radars at Koufyvoun and Chortiatis, Turkey.  My plan is to have the BACKFIRES "step down" from 25,000 feet at Waypont 1 (WP1) to only 6,000 feet at Waypoint 6 (WP6) to stay below the radar horizon.  At waypoint 7 the BACKFIRES will climb to 36,000 feet for fuel conservation, as the radar sites in Italy will make further detection avoidance impossible.  At the IP, the raid will split into three sections to get as wide threat axis as possible.  While I would like to have a 90 degree threat axis, I don't know that the BACKFIRES will have sufficient range to accomplish that.  The three launch points (LP 1-3) are 200 nm from the current CVBG position.  Flight time to launch point will be 125 minutes. 

BACKFIRE Flight Plan

Tripoli

A couple of points about this airstrike.  Historically, BACKFIRE regiments had some jamming and tanking aircraft as part of the regiment.  In this scenario, they are absent.  To provide jamming support, I considered using my BADGER E, which has an SPS-1 offensive jammer.  However, this was a bit of 1950's era technology, so it wouldn't have been too much use against the USN.  Consequentially, the BACKFIREs will be going in without any ECM support aircraft.

Another issue is the release distance.  I'm planning on releasing at 200 nm.  Soviet doctrine actually envisioned a weapons release at around 160nm for the AS-4.  See image below taken from Vego, Milan N. Soviet Naval Tactics. Annapolis, MD: Naval Inst Press, 1992, pg.  216.  However, I'm concerned about the F-14 CAPSTA that may be located approximately 215 nm the the NE of the CVBG.  With only 12 BACKFIRES and 24 AS-4s, I believe I will have to have few, if any losses in order to get a decent chance of sinking the EISENHOWER. As a result, I am planning on releasing at approximately 200 nm.

Soviet ASM Strike

Surveillance will be performed by the BADGER E aircraft.  The BACKFIREs will illuminate with their DOWN BEAT radars at the last minute to minimize alerting the CVBG until the last possible moment.   Airspace surveillance will be preformed by the KUG, which will also attempt to engage any NATO fighters that are operating near the BACKFIRE LPs.

As I noted in an earlier post, SEAD will be performed by the Su-17/AS-9.  However, these will have to approach within 65 nm of the CVBG, so I can expect their losses to be relatively heavy.  Additionally, the CHARLIE II SSGN and JULLIET SSGs will attempt to open up several other threat axes.  However, coordinating the TOT of the 650 knot SS-N-2, SS-N-3 and SS-N-7s fired from 45, 70, and 220 nm away will be somewhat problematic, at least doing so without giving away the element of surprise.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

SITREP 011022Z April 85
Soviet Operations-Air
The 12 aircraft of the BACKFIRE strike launched from the Crimea beginning at 0943.  Currently, they are over Romania. They will hit BINGO fuel  approximately 15 minutes after reaching their launch point.  This gives a small amount of reserve fuel that I can use for a supersonic sprint for the last 50 nm to the LP, if necessary. 

The Su-17s at Tripoli are preparing to launch at approximately 1100Z.

Soviet Operations-Surface
The MAKAROV KUG has a single unit (CG Admiral Makarov) radiating air and search radars.  The KUG is within SS-N-22 range of the GIRABALDI CHBG, and the DDG SMYSHLENNY (Mod Kashin) is almost within SS-N-2c range of the GIRABALDI CHBG

The NADEZHNYY (Mod Kashin DDG) has established a Tattletail station 1 nm from the USS EISENHOWER.

NATO Activity-Air
NATO activity is relatively quiet.  At 010920Z April 85   Two F-104s were detected by ESM in the Gulf of Taranto.  If they remain flying at this CAPSTA, it will place them within intercept range of the Tu-22s as they fly south from the IP. 

At 010930Z A USN E-2C was detected operating 80nm NE of CVBG.  Presumably this is the AEW station.  This is sufficiently close to the CVBG, limiting it's coverage of the threat axis.  Since 0838Z, there have been no F-14s detected near the MAKAROV KUG.  Hoperfully, this indicates the F-14 CAPSTA are relatively close to the CVBG.

NATO Activity-Subsurface
010940Z April 85   FOXTROT SS PL-641 reports POSSUB subsurface contact. Foxtrot is ordered to evade for one hour, then resume anti-CVBG patrol

NATO Activity-EM
The EISENHOWER CVBG remains in EMCON ALPHA (modified), using only active sonar. 

Boggit

I love your AAR. Thanks for sharing. \m/

I have also played the 1975 campaign and boy do you notice the difference with technology 10 years later. If you get the chance try it for comparison. I've just started mu own Red Tide campaign and so far am having a really immersive time.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Tripoli

Quote from: Boggit on November 13, 2021, 09:57:26 PM
I love your AAR. Thanks for sharing. \m/

I have also played the 1975 campaign and boy do you notice the difference with technology 10 years later. If you get the chance try it for comparison. I've just started mu own Red Tide campaign and so far am having a really immersive time.

If people are interested, I might do a similar AAR using the "Northern Inferno" DLC.  As you point out, the differences in technology were striking between 1975 and 1985.