Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Started by GDS_Starfury, March 26, 2024, 05:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt3916

After reading the article about opening the channel, I got curious about a related problem that I haven't seen anything about (well, haven't looked for, really).  So I'll be lazy and depend on you folks to point me in the right direction.

What about replacing the bridge?  And what traffic problems is its loss causing in and about Baltimore?  I don't even know where the bridge went to and from.  What happened to my daily commute if I regularly used the bridge?

I'm much more interested in the answers to those questions rather than "how are we going to help those poor shipping companies?"

Gusington

There is the harbor tunnel which I always used to get through that area instead of the bridge when visiting family further down in MD. It must be handling the majority of the traffic but it must still be...unpleasant.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Redwolf

Yeah, from the communications it seems they don't worry about road vehicles at all. We all work from home now, right?

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Uberhaus

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence.

It's fortunate that there were extra tugs available to bring the cargo ship under control.  I would imagine that all ports are standing up extra resources for the transit of such massive vessels.

Gusington

The Verrazano, fortunately, is very different from the bridge in Baltimore in how it is constructed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

from my reading of the subject matter, most harbors keep tugs on the big ships as  routine because their power losses are more common then we would expect.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tripoli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 08, 2024, 10:43:55 AMfrom my reading of the subject matter, most harbors keep tugs on the big ships as  routine because there power losses are more common then we would expect.

In my experience, power losses on ships occur "not infrequently".  I was on the USS BLUE RIDGE (LCC-19) when it was without power for about 12 hours in the middle of the Pacific. I"ve seen rudder failures and "dropping the load" for much shorter occasions several times on other ships
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

GDS_Starfury

the main channel has been cleared and ships are moving out!  :ThumbsUp:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.