Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 24, 2022, 06:21:39 PM
Dang, even Hitler got three months' training!  >:D

I've been a little surprised that memes featuring Russia as WH40K's Imperial Guards (the most obvious geek comparison imaginable) haven't started showing up yet. If this doesn't do it, nothing will?

(Maybe the problem is that fans like the Guards, who are portrayed as overachieving underdogs in a nightmare universe.)

IG?  Bleh.  No, don't compare the Russians to my beloved Guard. 

Compare the Russians to what they are, the Orks.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Note to self: remember to post some videos tomorrow, of Russians being in satirical awe about how badly rusted the AK-74s are...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 24, 2022, 09:34:26 PM
Note to self: remember to post some videos tomorrow, of Russians being in satirical awe about how badly rusted the AK-74s are...

Yeah, I saw that.  Badly stored AK's that they're expected to fight with.  Cute, but lets be real, the gear is not where the problem with the Russians lies.

I find this more telling.  This is the army they expect to defeat Ukraine...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bobarossa

When the guy said they would take part in the special military operation and then arrive home, I was hoping someone would ask "in a wood box or a body bag?"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bobarossa on September 24, 2022, 10:04:21 PM
When the guy said they would take part in the special military operation and then arrive home, I was hoping someone would ask "in a wood box or a body bag?"

I imagine a fair share of them will take Zelensky's offer to surrender and get fair treatment and expatriation to a neutral. 

Tens of thousands of Russians are clogging the roads to Georgia right now, looking to flee over the border to escape service.  Pathetically I saw a video where some of them were doing thigs like scrub the "Z" off their cars that they had to show support for the war.  A bitter irony seeking refuge in a former victim of Russian aggression.

Things are bad enough since the mobilization announcement that I saw more than a few milbloggers saying they expect Martial Law in Russia very soon. 

SirAndrewD

This is super worth a watch and goes directly into what Hertling was saying in the TV interview I saw today. 

Very informative about the massive structural problems the Russians have in being an effective fighting force for a real war. 

Anguille

I really feel sorry for these russian men right now...it's completely getting out of hand. :idiot2:

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Anguille on September 25, 2022, 02:18:55 AM
I really feel sorry for these russian men right now...it's completely getting out of hand. :idiot2:

The rumor is that Putin put in a place a secret law making the actual limit of conscription one million men, not just the 300,000 reservists.

That might explain why guys with no military experience are apparently being swept off the street.

I would like to say I am sorry for the Russian men. But Putin is going to send them down to kill Ukrainians; soldiers and a bunch of innocent civilians, including children. When I think of that, I am not sorry about what will happen to those Russian men.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

Can someone who knows more about Russian than I tell me why this douche bag hasn't been eliminated internally?

GDS_Starfury

its a shell game of favors and power.  I think hes arriving at the limits of what his people are willing to put up with.
for example, the wagner chief is throwing out lots of pr material of him being the responsible commander.
various mayors are calling for his resignation and he got snubbed by both china and north korea.
even Modi kept him waiting during last weeks summit.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Pete Dero

Quote from: acctingman on September 25, 2022, 10:18:58 AM
Can someone who knows more about Russian than I tell me why this douche bag hasn't been eliminated internally?

People around him were also members of the Douchebag family (or as they call them in Russian мафия/mafiya.)

You know those families where affection is bought with money and physical gifts.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 24, 2022, 06:21:39 PM
Dang, even Hitler got three months' training!  >:D

I've been a little surprised that memes featuring Russia as WH40K's Imperial Guards (the most obvious geek comparison imaginable) haven't started showing up yet. If this doesn't do it, nothing will?

(Maybe the problem is that fans like the Guards, who are portrayed as overachieving underdogs in a nightmare universe.)

I'm going off of memory here, but I believe the National Guard round out brigades required at least 90 days training to get ready for Desert Storm.  Given that these brigades were manned largely by Guardsmen who had 1)  already completed their basic training, 2) in almost all cases had completed their advanced training; 3) Frequently had prior active duty service; 4) were already part of organized combat units that had approximately 60 days of training/year and still required 90 additional days to prepare for combat operations shows that the 2 weeks of training is woefully inadequate.  It practical effect, it is little better than murder of the conscripts.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

al_infierno

Russian President Vladimir Putin escaped to his secret palatial complex near Lake Valdai, halfway between Moscow and St Petersburg, amid anti-draft protests in Russia, MailOnline was first to report.

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-putin-escapes-secret-palace-amid-anti-draft-protests-report-2022-9?utm_source=reddit.com

Hmm... Why am I reminded of a certain moustached Soviet dictator?  I'm sure the month of October doesn't concern him in any way :bd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

FarAway Sooner

It's pretty obvious that Putin is a sociopath surrounded by other sociopaths who are willing to do anything it takes to hang onto their privilege and their egos.  This won't end well for anybody that I can see.  But such is why the entire Western world needs to stand strong in support of Ukraine, and start putting more pressure on Russia's enbablers.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tripoli on September 25, 2022, 11:35:28 AM
It practical effect, it is little better than murder of the conscripts.

So what !?

Patriarch Kirill, the spiritual leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, has urged his compatriots not to fear death after the (partial) mobilization by President Vladimir Putin.
"Go bravely on your military duty. And remember that if you give your life for your country, you will be with God in his kingdom and glory and eternal life awaits you," he told in his homily at the Zachatyevsky Monastery in Moscow.
In support of the men sent to the front, he added that "the true believer is not subject to fear of death."

source : Newsweek