Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Russian lines NE of Kherson appear to be under significant pressure source : https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer):

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

And the Ukrainians are continuing to exploit their gains in the Lyman sector.  Based on this map, the attack in this sector has broadened, likely to continue to press the retreating Russians, and to fix Russian forces so they can not shift to the Kherson sector

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2022, 09:18:11 AM
well, so much for Lyman.   <:-)

When I saw the UAF units involved in the north pincer.... they weren't there for moral support. I am thinking they will keep pushing until they find defensive Orc positions that don't fold with a mild probe.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 02, 2022, 10:48:35 PM
Yeah, don't assign any 3D chess to what happened in Lyman.

It was the Russians not knowing what to do and failing to do very tactically logical things weeks ago.

There's at least some stories now that the Russians did at least save some of their men there.  A lot of troops did get a retreat order but had to abandon their gear and positions and just run.

Issue now is they're falling back with UAF forces at their heels.

I noticed a sudden jump in pics of newly captured equipment... it never means good things for whoever lost it.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

SirAndrewD

It's never good when the Russian MoD admits to things going badly.

They just announced the UAF have achieved an "Armored Breakthrough" in Dudchany in the south.  That is putting the entire right side of their positions across the Dniper in danger of being cut off.

Again, this didn't happen against Russia's 2nd string.  These may not be the Guards formations in Kherson, but the men around Dudchany are Russian regular army. 

The Russians can't afford to lose those troops.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

planetbrain

It's all part of a Russian Ruse  :uglystupid2:
I hope Russia falls apart and something good results. But that's not how things work in this world, is it?
i.e. The world will end in a worse state than it was pre Feb. 2022
Mostly harmless

SirAndrewD

Sadly the instant the Russian tanks rolled over the border we were guaranteed some flavor of nightmare. 

To quote WarGames, "The only winning move was not to play".
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

try this Tripoli, helps with the picture size.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 03, 2022, 06:30:17 PM
try this Tripoli, helps with the picture size.

You should use a codeblock so people can actually read what you're telling them to use:

[img width=1200][/img]
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Interesting item of note today. 

David Petraeus made the rounds today, speaking what was almost certainly language meant to communicate a warning to the Russians via "unofficial" channels. 

That message was, that if Putin does deploy tactical nuclear weapons, the response from NATO could be to commence full scale air operations with the intent of destroying the Russian army in the field in Ukraine. 

He also made it clear that such a response would include Crimea. 

A few CNN pundits echoed the message later.  Some analysis by them was that this chatter was in fact conveying to Russia that a NATO military response is fully an option in response to escalation to nukes.

Jarhead0331

There is a good analysis of the tactical nuke factor here. Starts at around 48:00...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2022, 08:37:44 PM
There is a good analysis of the tactical nuke factor here. Starts at around 48:00...

I love this guy  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

that was a great interview.   :bd:

Crossroads

There was a rather interesting discussion on Finnish TV the other day between the former head of military intelligence Gen (ret) Pekka Toveri and one of the very senior diplomats (ret as well) Rene Nyberg, both discussing this quite openly as personal opinions as they emphasized.

One comment was that nuclear deterrence as it has traditionally been considered works very well: western nations have been very cautious in "not escalating" the war any further. Hence, no no-fly zones over western Ukraine, no modern tanks, etc.
As for "tactical" nukes, there was a very interesting comment by Nyberg in that "tactical" vs "strategic" only applies within military, outside military each and every nuclear weapon despite of its size is a strategic weapon, as it involves strategic decision making.
First, he said, there's the absolute taboo of using such a weapon first and foremost. From this point of view Putin's comment that "The US has set a precedent" is quite worrying. Yet, there's the absolute stigma a nation that uses a nuclear weapon would receive. As discussed in above video, it would further put Russia as a pariah state, and, there would be consequences, of course. Military consequences as been communicated to Russia by diplomatic channels I am sure as in the open, economic consequences as discussed in this video as well.

Hence, the use of such a weapon remains "highly unlikely" as discussed here as well.
The further point was then as whether Putin would yet resort to use of such a weapon or not, and if he does, would the military command channel with its various guardrails obey such a command.
I'd assume we're still way off from such a situation. First, the annexation of the four oblasts to Russia, from the point that if those oblasts are now part of Russia indeed, Putin can legally place conscripts there as well. That would go a long way solving the manpower issue, together with the mobilization they are performing.

Finally, as what the effect on Russian society would be as basically so many families should start worrying for their sons dying in a conflict that does really not make any sense to them is a further worry for Putin. I doubt the idea of a imperialist Greater Russia is that attractive but to older generation perhaps, and some hard core minority.
"They really have no good options", Justin Bronk concluded. Easy to agree with that one.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY