The discipline of buying video games

Started by W8taminute, May 19, 2022, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I've come to the realization that more often than not, it is better to hold off on buying a shiny new video game if your instincts make you hesitate at first.  Most often you will realize that that exciting new game you thought looked so cool from all the hype is just some stale, rehashed boring game.  Then you get to save your money for something more worthy.

Tactics I use for controlling myself before splurging on a new video game include but are not limited to:

• YouTube traffic (how many people are creating content on the game of interest starting from release date to 30 days out?  If trusted YouTubers have stopped making content on the game it could indicate the game is a loser.
  • Gaming Forums.  Can you google any forums regarding the game and how much are people talking about it?
    What is the kind of feedback observed?
  • Developer site.  Is there any evidence that the developers are still interacting with the community 30 days after release?  60 days after release?  6 months after release?
  • Has the game gone on sale for a deeply discounted price anywhere from 30 days after release to 6 months?
  • Have you examined your personal interest in the game 30 days after release?  Are you a)still deeply excited but are waiting to buy due to limited budget? or b)saw something else potentially better thus keeping you from ever considering the game again?

A final thought.  Exciting video games are like hot b%^&Hs.  You want that kitty cat badly until you see something even better.  Or if you still like the first one you got hot for even if something better comes along that tells you something no? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk