What war game do you wish would be made next

Started by Con, October 03, 2022, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

I'd like to see a remake of Imperialism 2.  I still play this game at least once a year over 20 years after introduction!  Has politics,  economy, and land/naval warfare. 

SirAndrewD

Oh yeah, if we're calling sims Wargames (And why not) then I've got a few other on my wishlist. 

The Rowan classics, MiG Alley and Battle of Britain,  Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe,  Strike Fighters 3,  The Dynamix Aces series, F19 Stealth Fighter ect ect.

Something that's in the middle of the road in accessibility and values fun AND realism. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Senex

I wish they'd finally get "Crusader Rex" out the doors.

I also wish that someone would do computer versions of "We the People" and "For the People".

Destraex

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2022, 09:47:38 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 03, 2022, 09:08:02 PM
Steel Division 3 Napoleonic

Despite the same level of unit variety, that seems like a great idea!

I'd play Cossacks 2: Napoleonic wars but multiplayer does not work :(
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Quote from: Phantom on October 04, 2022, 01:42:35 PM
A computer version of Avalon Hill's Republic of Rome would float my boat, using detailed AI & Crusader Kings type personality traits to create a really authentic feeling senate.
It was tried with Pax Romana, but despite some great concepts the game was almost unplayable.

That really should be doable. A lot of the gumminess in that system comes from rule-processing, which a computer would be very handy for. When I ran an experimental forum game for RoR, here at Grogheads several years ago, I participated as the umpire or gamemaster and tried thus to reduce the load on the players by doing all the calcs and rules myself.

Marry that with some rule variations for factional types, and then some player-personality types on the AI... it really should be simpler to do than trying to AI a Paradox game! Expanding out to the fan-made prequels (Latin and Italian Eras, and the super-mod Republic of Carthage) shouldn't be too hard once the basic framework is in place. Have to buy the rights to those first, but I'm sure their creators would appreciate the compensation.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Phantom

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 05, 2022, 08:45:04 AM
Quote from: Phantom on October 04, 2022, 01:42:35 PM
A computer version of Avalon Hill's Republic of Rome would float my boat, using detailed AI & Crusader Kings type personality traits to create a really authentic feeling senate.
It was tried with Pax Romana, but despite some great concepts the game was almost unplayable.

That really should be doable. A lot of the gumminess in that system comes from rule-processing, which a computer would be very handy for. When I ran an experimental forum game for RoR, here at Grogheads several years ago, I participated as the umpire or gamemaster and tried thus to reduce the load on the players by doing all the calcs and rules myself.

Marry that with some rule variations for factional types, and then some player-personality types on the AI... it really should be simpler to do than trying to AI a Paradox game! Expanding out to the fan-made prequels (Latin and Italian Eras, and the super-mod Republic of Carthage) shouldn't be too hard once the basic framework is in place. Have to buy the rights to those first, but I'm sure their creators would appreciate the compensation.

Indeed - I think a lot of board games would be relatively easy to implement on the PC - after all, you've got the rule structure & gameplay already in place. I've very much enjoyed Labyrinth, Twilight Struggle & Pavlovs House conversions - would be great if someone could reach into Avalon Hills's back catalogue.

MengJiao

Quote from: Con on October 03, 2022, 12:57:13 PM
I'll start off that a Decisive Campaigns set in todays Ukrainian war would be irresistible for me
Con

Yep, that could be soothing or something.

al_infierno

Quote from: MengJiao on October 05, 2022, 02:25:21 PM
I'll start off that a Decisive Campaigns set in todays Ukrainian war would be irresistible for me
Con

I still like the idea of a proper DC-esque war game (not necessarily set in Ukraine) where you have to manage a bungled invasion and get events like "The Great Leader is having an existential crisis, you have been issued a mortar team and a platoon of AFVs to secure the airfield" every other turn O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Skoop

Con

Insta buy for me. 

al_infierno

For those who don't know, there's already a super well-received Panzer Corps/Steel Panthers Lite style game where you defend Ukraine from the Orcs.  As long as you don't mind the somewhat cartoonish style.

Also, it's a steal at like $3!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2005660/Ukraine_Defense_Force_Tactics/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on October 05, 2022, 02:32:18 PM
Con

I still like the idea of a proper DC-esque war game (not necessarily set in Ukraine) where you have to manage a bungled invasion and get events like "The Great Leader is having an existential crisis, you have been issued a mortar team and a platoon of AFVs to secure the airfield" every other turn O0

I have to admit to a certain desire to play wargames that are from an earlier period -- distant but still well-documented -- to escape the realities of the current world.  So I'm doing lots of
late Napoleonic stuff -- mostly bloodbaths and not very heroic but not involving, oh, you know, tanks, machine guns, guided missiles (I guess Congreve Rockets are okay)...instead you get
lots of dead horses and tubrils and such.  sort of a minimalist escape.

FarAway Sooner

A modern remake of the FASA classic war game, Renegade: Legion Interceptor, that provided more accurate play-balancing and a couple carefully-designed campaigns. 

I've never run across a sci-fi game system that so intuitively yet accurately represented what if might feel like to have your ship shot out from underneath you.     <:-)

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 06, 2022, 11:39:06 AM
A modern remake of the FASA classic war game...

Circus Imperium!

Based in the Renegade Legion universe, its a chariot racing game where instead of horses, you've got some alien monster thingy hauling your ass around the track.  Whip it enough to keep it's speed up but don't whip too much or it may turn around and eat you or worse.  Throw spears at your fellow racers!  Try and board their chariot and take it over!  Ben Hur can suck it as this baby's got it all!