What war game do you wish would be made next

Started by Con, October 03, 2022, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senex

With today's computer's processing speed and data storage capacity, would a computer version of the never-to-have-a-game-completed boardgame behemoth "Campaign for North Africa" be possible?  There may be some group out there trying to get a full game of CNA finished. but the problem is that the earth will eventually fall into the sun.

JasonPratt

I heard a couple of years ago (via someone posting here), that a CampNorthAf implementation exists for The Operational Art of War III or maybe IV (I forget which... maybe originally for 3 but works in 4).

Reportedly, it contains all the rules and mechanics, but since the computer takes care of all the heavy lifting, players can yeet it along in a quite reasonable amount of time!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Senex

Thanks so much.  I will scrounge around for it.  Naturally I hope it includes the Italian supply rule requiring extra water for pasta, Richard Berg's principal claim to immortality.

Boggit

I'd love to see a game that concentrates on sieges over the ages from the Assyrians to the Gunpowder Age. The developments from the Renaissance to the Pike and Shot era are probably the time of greatest technological progress. It would be fun to compare an ancient Roman siege like that of Jerusalem in 70AD, Constaninople 1453, to the methods used in the 80 Years war or at Lille in 1708 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Lille_%281708%29.

The closest I've seen is the siege mechanics in the 7 years war where units are involved in digging trenches and setting up batteries, but something that includes mining, circum and contravallation, sorties, raids, bombardment, repairs, fires, disease and starvation effects and so on would be interesting.

Given that most battles we see in wargaming are field battles it would be nice to see a game dedicated to the siege at both an operational and tactical level taking into account engineering, logistics etc.

Back in the day I played SPI's Siege of Constantinople and Siege of Lille and they were both fun and very different in play style. I'd love to see this done in detail on the computer.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

ArizonaTank

A good spiritual successor to SSI's Battles of Napoleon is just waiting to be made.

Histwar Les Grognards almost got there.  HLG was just so...so...so...very close.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Boggit that is a great idea for a game, maybe a tower defense like game...'great sieges in history'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

I'd like to see Advanced Tactics Gold beefed up to the scope of Shadow Empire, i.e SE game mechanics but on a procedurally-generated Earth-like planet with tech from the middle of the 20th century.  Or is that more of a mod than a new game?

Commander Cody

I'd like to second the Flight Commander 3 recommendation. Could be updated with new aircraft and new missions. I can't remember if FC2 had an AA environment, but sprinkling in some ground attack and SEAD elements would be cool if it wasn't there before. Things have certainly changed since it came out anyway.

Cheers,
CC

Vox

Rowan classics, MiG Alley and Battle of Britain.  Heck,  I would settle for just being able to run  Battle  of  Britain 2 with the BDG patches on windows  10 and 11. 

Skoop

Quote from: Vox on November 03, 2022, 05:32:11 AM
Rowan classics, MiG Alley and Battle of Britain.  Heck,  I would settle for just being able to run  Battle  of  Britain 2 with the BDG patches on windows  10 and 11.

I was thinking about this the other day with the thread about Microprose and the upcoming B17 games.  One of the games is literally a reboot of Mighty 8th.  If Microprose is willing to do that for Mighty 8th, why not Battle of Brittian (the Falcon4 of WWII sims) ?

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Skoop on November 04, 2022, 10:49:06 PM
Quote from: Vox on November 03, 2022, 05:32:11 AM

I was thinking about this the other day with the thread about Microprose and the upcoming B17 games.  One of the games is literally a reboot of Mighty 8th.  If Microprose is willing to do that for Mighty 8th, why not Battle of Brittian (the Falcon4 of WWII sims) ?

Again, remember these all have different rights holders.

SummerFrog

Quote from: Boggit on October 09, 2022, 09:51:13 PM
I'd love to see a game that concentrates on sieges over the ages from the Assyrians to the Gunpowder Age. The developments from the Renaissance to the Pike and Shot era are probably the time of greatest technological progress. It would be fun to compare an ancient Roman siege like that of Jerusalem in 70AD, Constaninople 1453, to the methods used in the 80 Years war or at Lille in 1708 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Lille_%281708%29 and https://thefoodiegeek.net

The closest I've seen is the siege mechanics in the 7 years war where units are involved in digging trenches and setting up batteries, but something that includes mining, circum and contravallation, sorties, raids, bombardment, repairs, fires, disease and starvation effects and so on would be interesting.

Given that most battles we see in wargaming are field battles it would be nice to see a game dedicated to the siege at both an operational and tactical level taking into account engineering, logistics etc.

Back in the day I played SPI's Siege of Constantinople and Siege of Lille and they were both fun and very different in play style. I'd love to see this done in detail on the computer.

Vietnam is frequently referenced in Black Ops, but I would rather to be a teenager making their way through the jungle at night while struggling to stay dry and hope Charlie isn't hiding in the woods. I want lucky son to be playing loudly on the radio when I order my chopper gunner to the scene. My least favorite television show this generation was probably WWII, but it deserves praise for not making your character a member of a global special operations squad.

Just create a grunt for me to fight in the forest.

Strela

Quote from: Con on October 03, 2022, 12:57:13 PM
I'll start off that a Decisive Campaigns set in todays Ukrainian war would be irresistible for me
Con

We had started on a 'Next War in Europe' title back in 2018/2019 using our Strategic War engine.

We almost got the starting date right as well (February, but a year too early). This was meant to focus on Russia taking on Ukraine followed by the Eastern members of NATO and the NATO response. Unfortunately events overtook us!

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.