What war game do you wish would be made next

Started by Con, October 03, 2022, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on November 11, 2022, 05:36:21 PM
^Never had a chance to play Kampfgruppe...I remember seeing it on store shelves before I had a PC or Amiga :/

The fact that you recall seeing it on store shelves means you are officially old..... >:D
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

True that. I ordered it through the mail as I recall. There were no retail stores anywhere back then. Then Sears and Radio Shack started to carry some of the games. That was a 45 mile drive for me.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 14, 2022, 07:34:52 PM
Old man shit

Was lucky to have a hobby shop next county over (+/- 30 miles-ish) that was blessed with a bounty of stuff for a nerd boy to drool over; models, RC vehicles, etc. as well as RPGs and boxed wargames.  Down side was the people behind the counter seemed to have been weaned on lemons as they had the most sour disposition I've seen in any store owners.  Bought a few things there for sure, but really wasn't fond of the atmosphere.

-they may just have disliked kids, though.

W8taminute

I remember when I was 13 or 14 there was a dime store (remember those?) within bike riding distance of me that actually sold hardcore wargames.  I'd save up my lawn mowing money to go there to buy my games, many of which I still have. 

Those were the days, never to be replicated again.  :'(
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2022, 09:21:33 AM
^What was the name of this paradise?

Dime store was the nickname for Woolworths.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Toonces

^ I'll second that!  Something a little more abstracted would be welcome....WitP:AE just took things a bit too far!

I haven't delved into Warplan: Pacific yet but I'm hoping that's a what we're discussing.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Quote from: Skoop on November 04, 2022, 10:49:06 PM
Quote from: Vox on November 03, 2022, 05:32:11 AM
Rowan classics, MiG Alley and Battle of Britain.  Heck,  I would settle for just being able to run  Battle  of  Britain 2 with the BDG patches on windows  10 and 11.

^ This!  I've tried so hard to get BoB2 to run on my computer, but it just won't work.

Along the same lines, I'd love to see something like Falcon 4 again...not BMS, which like WitP:AE just took things too far.  Falcon 4 (and Freefalcon's iteration) were the perfect balance of realism vs. gameplay.  The Thirdwire series went a bit too far to the gameplay side for me.

Although...the Thirdwire games like War over Vietnam, but with a persistent multiplayer campaign...oh man, I might not play anything else.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Senex

Quote from: W8taminute on November 15, 2022, 09:23:28 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2022, 09:21:33 AM
^What was the name of this paradise?

Dime store was the nickname for Woolworths.   :)
I remember them too.  They still have Woolworth's in Australia, but they'd more remind you of a Target.

Thomas Davie

Quote from: W8taminute on November 15, 2022, 08:28:57 AM
I remember when I was 13 or 14 there was a dime store (remember those?) within bike riding distance of me that actually sold hardcore wargames.  I'd save up my lawn mowing money to go there to buy my games, many of which I still have. 

Those were the days, never to be replicated again.  :'(

Many years ago, my friends and I hung around a hobby shop on Saturdays (and would always meet up there after work/school). The owner carried everything and would special order at no extra cost. Also had a spare room im the basement with a couple of ping pong tables set up. miniatures, DND, massive Squad Leader battles and so on.

He carried all of the SSI games.

Tom