What war game do you wish would be made next

Started by Con, October 03, 2022, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I'll start off that a Decisive Campaigns set in todays Ukrainian war would be irresistible for me
Con

Silent Disapproval Robot

And updated, more detailed version of Defending the Reich with a more robust Research and Development system.

Tripoli

A multiplayer Destroyer/Silent Hunter with a Strategic layer, so you could actually fight the North Atlantic naval war/  "They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...."  :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

It would sure be nice if the legal issues could be unsnarled for WW1:Centennial so that patching could continue on it, sigh...

Granted, not a huge forward progress, but also practically impossible aside from wishing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

I know Fire and Maneuver kinda sorta is trying to do this, but really what I'd kill for is just a straight polished remake of Age of Rifles. 

So far I just don't get the proper feel from FnM.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Not sure if qualifies for a "war game", but the type of game I most yearn for is a true Geopolitics game, sort of back to the days of Balance of Power and even the old SSI title Geopolitque game.  They weren't perfect, but none of the more modern attempts have ever provided the kind of game I would want.  I want to control all facets of running a country including all the economics, diplomacy stuff that happens in the real world.  Want to support various causes, have the potential to lead to minor conflicts, and ultimately the next major war if it gets that far, and possibly ending nuclear.  Basically a true real world simulator.  However, I don't want to actually control any of the actual armies if it comes to war, I want to give macro direction and orders and let things turn out based on other factors.  I know this will never happen but all the stuff happening in the world today makes me want this even more.  Super Power 3 is coming out and I doubt it will scratch the itch either.

Probably a close second, something like the old Computer Ambush SSI game.  If I recall correctly, soldiers had backgrounds and you "felt" their loses because of it.  Again not perfect and basic stuff, but some reason I felt a connection with controlling the squads.  Would love a squad level game that made you truly bond with your men, not simply nameless people without backgrounds you grow to like.  As you take loses, you bring replacements in also with a story.  Make me think twice before I send the soldier into harms ways.  I know Burden in Command is in development, hopefully some day it comes out, but not entirely sure if it will provide this level of experience either.

Pretty sure I am out of luck with both, but a person can hope:)

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 03, 2022, 05:50:50 PM
... but really what I'd kill for is just a straight polished remake of Age of Rifles. 

A to the men!

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on October 03, 2022, 09:08:02 PM
Steel Division 3 Napoleonic

Despite the same level of unit variety, that seems like a great idea!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

nelmsm

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 03, 2022, 12:59:35 PM
And updated, more detailed version of Defending the Reich with a more robust Research and Development system.

What he said..

planetbrain

A full on WW3 with the West against Russia & probably against China...but not cold war (why do they always do cold war?). I want current with possible (but not unavoidable) use of nukes.
Mostly harmless

Jarhead0331

A remake of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

A game that has a detailed strategic component involving management of bases and airfields, manufacturing and production sites, resources and assets with a light research element. A layer that lets the player manage squadrons, pilots and aircraft, plan complex missions and then actually take part in them by jumping into any one of the aircraft.

Delicious.

I'm also still waiting for the most perfect 4x. One that combines the depth and complexity of Aurora with AAA graphics for space and ground combat and a useful streamlined UI. I want to be able to control fleets and ground forces and when conducting ground operations, I want to be able to land forces and fight in turn-based or even real time combat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Remake of Age of Rifles

or

A remake / better version of "Muzzle Velocity" by Digi4Fun (1997). This game was ahead of the technology, so had issues. But the concept allowed the player to fight WWII battles at the battalion level or so, but then also allow them to pick any unit and fight first person.

or

A remake of "Campaign" by Empire Interactive (1992)

or

A remake of Pacific Storm by Buka Entertainment.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2022, 07:13:29 AM
A remake of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

A game that has a detailed strategic component involving management of bases and airfields, manufacturing and production sites, resources and assets with a light research element. A layer that lets the player manage squadrons, pilots and aircraft, plan complex missions and then actually take part in them by jumping into any one of the aircraft.

Delicious.

I love a secret weapons remake.  Rowan's Battle of Britain falls into this category, could be worth a remake, as most of the versions have trouble with modern windows.

Along the same theme of multi layered fight sim / game.  I've always had an idea of a Vietnam version and call it AirCav.  Basically manage an aircav troop dynamically through Vietnam in a strategy layer.  When units make contact, you jump in and take control.  You could fly helos and fps soldiers or just manage the tactical like a rts.  The gameplay would be the typical counter insurgency patrolling, but at certain points in the time line you would take part in major historical operations.

Phantom

A computer version of Avalon Hill's Republic of Rome would float my boat, using detailed AI & Crusader Kings type personality traits to create a really authentic feeling senate.
It was tried with Pax Romana, but despite some great concepts the game was almost unplayable.