Anno 1800---Is it Any Good? / Is It a DLC Money Pit?

Started by Compass Rose, April 18, 2022, 02:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compass Rose

I just came across the Ubi game Anno 1800 which looks like alot of fun however, they offer a ton of DLC's.

For those who own the game or know anything about it, what can you tell me about it?

Is it worth getting or is it a money pit that I should stay away from?

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=5b647010ef3aa548048c5958&dwvar_5b647010ef3aa548048c5958_Platform=pcdl&edition=Standard%20Edition&source=detail

Thanks in Advance

JasonPratt

Kind of curious about this, too, though I don't know if I'd buy direct from Ubi...  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I love it and think its one of the better City builders. There are tons of features, lots of buildings, citizens, and materials, resources and supplies in the various chains. It's a fairly detailed economy that can be quite challenging to balance and maintain. I've recently picked it up again and lost close 10 hours of my life.

As far as DLC's go, I tend to pick up the larger ones that add new lands to develop and/or major game enhancing features. I have the DLCs that add the snow and desert type areas, as well as the DLC that adds features related to government and docks. Now is a good time to invest as I believe Ubisoft is having a 50% off sale.

In any event, the base game alone is totally worth a look, especially if you like the city building genre that focuses on economy over war.

If there is one thing that I do not like about Anno 1800, it is that it only has naval combat. I would love the opportunity to build armies and have them invade other islands in order to take them over...sadly all conquest and combat takes place on the sea. However, whether this detracts from your experience is totally subjective. It does not seem to have held the game back, which has a huge following.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I really enjoyed it...but I found it difficult as well. It repeatedly kicked my butt when I was attempting to learn it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Compass Rose

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2022, 02:32:14 PM
I love it and think its one of the better City builders. There are tons of features, lots of buildings, citizens, and materials, resources and supplies in the various chains. It's a fairly detailed economy that can be quite challenging to balance and maintain. I've recently picked it up again and lost close 10 hours of my life.

As far as DLC's go, I tend to pick up the larger ones that add new lands to develop and/or major game enhancing features. I have the DLCs that add the snow and desert type areas, as well as the DLC that adds features related to government and docks. Now is a good time to invest as I believe Ubisoft is having a 50% off sale.

In any event, the base game alone is totally worth a look, especially if you like the city building genre that focuses on economy over war.

If there is one thing that I do not like about Anno 1800, it is that it only has naval combat. I would love the opportunity to build armies and have them invade other islands in order to take them over...sadly all conquest and combat takes place on the sea. However, whether this detracts from your experience is totally subjective. It does not seem to have held the game back, which has a huge following.

Thanks for all of that info as it was very helpful.  Which platform are you running yours on; Epic Games Store or Ubisoft Connect PC?  I'm not sure which is better as I am not familiar with either one. Does either version force you to use DRM like Ubi did years ago with Silent Hunter III, which was a mess?

Thanks Again

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Compass Rose on April 18, 2022, 02:58:56 PM

Thanks for all of that info as it was very helpful.  Which platform are you running yours on; Epic Games Store or Ubisoft Connect PC?  I'm not sure which is better as I am not familiar with either one. Does either version force you to use DRM like Ubi did years ago with Silent Hunter III, which was a mess?

Thanks Again

I run it through Uplay, which I have a hunch you will need to use even you get it through Epic. Uplay has come a long way since its initial release and I find it pretty easy to use, FWIW.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Compass Rose

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2022, 03:16:27 PM
I run it through Uplay, which I have a hunch you will need to use even you get it through Epic. Uplay has come a long way since its initial release and I find it pretty easy to use, FWIW.

Ok thanks!