Project: Close Combat

Started by TheFjordFox, March 15, 2022, 08:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I didn't recall the game having terrain elevation at all! -- buildings yes (up to three or maybe on rare occasion 4 levels, though your infantry only got into the top level of course), and vegetation and walls had different heights of course.

Maybe this explains why I never won any campaigns...  :crazy2:

Quote from: TheFjordFox on April 22, 2022, 07:28:10 AM
Yeah... it didn't really sit that well with me having enemy physics-defying tanks destroy me from flanks I really don't think they should be able to reach  :crazy2:

Ouch! What's more painful, is that the Sherman didn't get stuck somewhere a tank should get through and then start spinning in place in a panic! NOW the armor AI becomes competent??

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 22, 2022, 12:57:40 AM
yes.  in fact there were several.  but as far as I know theyve been lost to the ether.
one of them was something of a standalone app that gave you a 3d image on the map in a minecraft kind of way.
it worked well because of how the maps are terrain coded in blocks.
I never thought about in then but, you could code 1 block on the map to have the maximum cover, camo, protection and all the rest and make it visually look like a patch of grass.  >:D

Okay, there has got to be a video of this mod somewhere...!  :dreamer:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TheFjordFox

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 22, 2022, 07:45:46 AM
(up to three or maybe on rare occasion 4 levels, though your infantry only got into the top level of course)

Obviously! Except for when the building is taking fire from mortars - then they're simultaneously on the top floor shooting, and on the bottom floor taking cover from the mortars, which makes total sense  :crazy2:
I'm just another random.

GDS_Starfury

how does this look flat to you?

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Do those photos go back to CC2? Because that was the last one I put more than a few hours into.

(Just because I own them all, doesn't mean I've played them recently enough -- or enough at all -- to remember that they had non-flat maps.  ::) )

To be fair, if I had read the Panthers in the Fog review, I might recall this better. Hey, are those photos from the review?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TheFjordFox

Those photos are from CC3  ;D  (which btw is my favourite CC game of all time)
I'm just another random.

The_Admiral

Relief was introduced in CC2 - which of course was the perfect place for that considering it was very limited still outside of the occasional dyke road, bridge or sand dune (we're talking the eponymous Netherlands here). Naturally Russia offers a bit more variety in that department... ^^