Wonder Woman 1984

Started by airboy, December 31, 2020, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We saw it in the theater this afternoon.  Theater seats 250 and there were 11 people at the 1:00pm show.

It was good, though it lagged in the 2nd 5th of the movie.  The part with yard ape age Diana competing for Queen of the Amazons was really well done.

They have kept the theme of Greek human failing type of villainy - like they did in the first movie.  Gal Gadot was (of course) very hot.  Stunts and special effects were very good.  I liked it less than the first one, but it was at least 80% there.

Well worth watching.

Gusington

I loved the first one because of the First World War background - not sure if I will enjoy this one as much.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I've heard this one is actually pretty terrible.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

For a (surprisingly) less political review analysis by MovieBob than you might be expecting nowadays...

Second part is more spoilery, first part sticks with details from trailers.

I mention this review, mainly because he's the first one I've seen to dig into the idea that the film is suffering from restructured and edited out plot (which I was wondering about myself. No pun originally intended.)

He also politely elides past an idea I've seen a lot more of: that Patty Jenkins should have stayed out of trying to write it, and maybe didn't even direct as much of WW2017 as she was credited for; and this unexpected sharp gap-drop in quality, triggered some of the reshoots/rewrites/re-edits after the initial test screenings. He does on the other hand give the first credit I've seen to the idea that this crazy whiffy mess of a story is a rather classic WW setup from the comics (which was obvious to me, but like he says you can still have good quality from that if you do it right.)

At least the Hans Zimmer score works well.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Yeah, it's not very good. Especially when compared to the first one.

The actors give it their best shot, Pedro Pascal and Kristin Wiig especially, but the story is disjointed and the comedic bits are kind of buried in the background. Once again, the DC ip is not showing it's best side here.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

My wife loves to go to the movies.  That was one of the things we did regularly once I retired - and rarely before.

Then the plague hit.  I think the last movie we saw in the theater was Isn't It Romantic back in February.  That one was pretty weak.

Perhaps we were just happy to go to the movies again.  Although the first part with kid Diana was really good.  The villain fits with classic Greek mythology which we both liked - and I cannot explain without giving away the plot.

Pete Dero

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 31, 2020, 07:16:46 PM

Yeah, my family and I walked away unimpressed....watchable I guess, but nothing special...can't see us ever watching a 2nd time.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 31, 2020, 07:16:46 PM

My wife is a huge superhero movie fan. She fell asleep half-way through. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jamus34

Been hearing a lot of the same. I was on board to pick up HBOMax to check it out (and give the 2 older rug rats a chance to watch) but after hearing some of the initial reviews I think I can safely take a pass until i can watch it free.

Insert witty comment here.

Anguille

I am fairly good audience so i look forward to watch it...probably on dvd or tv.