Great Battles Of Alexander Deluxe 5th

Started by Nefaro, April 20, 2015, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Just got this in today.

Evidently there was a universal issue with some of the counter sheet backs' printing.  Sounds like most people have the unit counters numbers printed up to the very edge of the right side cut, on the back of a sheet or two.  A few even have a cut through a number. 

I was lucky in that only the back of sheet #2 is up on it and didn't go over, so I won't have to request replacements from GMT.  From what I've gathered, the whole run was like that so even the replacements will be close calls on the sheet or two in question.

There were also some reports of similar counter printing issues with the previous one, Hoplite too.

Is it just me or do most of the GMT games, even revised editions, have misprints or issues such as this?  Don't get me wrong.. my copies of Hoplite and GBoA5 look great and are probably in the best conditions possible considering the issues.  Although I will have to be extra careful clipping some of my GBoA counters.  But sweet baby raptor jesus, there often seems to be some such problem with each GMT release. 

Of the GMT games I currently own, there are incorrect map bits, charts, and counters not to mention large amounts of manual & scenario errata.   I expect the latter to some extent but only now just realized how regular some of the component misprints have been. 

Have I just been picking up the worst offenders in their catalog by accident?  Is GMT so backed up by P500s that some of it is slipping?  Or all in the eye of the beholder?   ???

Bison

My copy of combat commander has weird fit sheets where the counters are held to the sheet in the middle of the counter rather then by the corners.   I've been planning on sending an email to ask if I can purchase new counter sheets since it makes weird tabs that are hard to clean.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2015, 07:19:31 PM
My copy of combat commander has weird fit sheets where the counters are held to the sheet in the middle of the counter rather then by the corners.   I've been planning on sending an email to ask if I can purchase new counter sheets since it makes weird tabs that are hard to clean.

Maybe that whole run was cut like that?

Nefaro

Wow. 

Got this in the GMT update email today:

Counter Issues with Deluxe Alexander

Many of you are aware that we've had some significant quality issues with the Deluxe Alexander counters. They were serious enough that we have fired the printer and undertaken a detailed examination of every single Deluxe Al countersheet in our warehouse.

As a result of that evaluation, and of finding numerous problems with the counters , we have as of this week halted all shipping of Deluxe Alex. Tony has arranged with a different printer (one who has a great track record for us) to reprint the entire batch so that we will have enough eventually to be able to replace ALL of the countersheets already in customers (or distributors') hands as well as open all the in-house copies and replace the originals with the good ones. So we will replace counters for the entire original print run.

My counter sheets turned out manageable, from what I recall, even though the backs were a bit offset on a couple.  Glad they're redoing them, though.

Just as happy I didn't punch & clip the whole horde yet!

GJK

And that's what really sets GMT apart from the rest- super customer service (MMP is like that too though they are a much smaller operation so it just takes longer).  They'll be sending out "replacement kits" to everyone that purchased the game online like they did The Supreme Commander (and others).  Has to make you wonder if this has finally put a big enough wrinkle in the overhead expenses to the point that the fire alarms were going off....it sounds like it was.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on May 28, 2015, 10:58:51 PM
And that's what really sets GMT apart from the rest- super customer service (MMP is like that too though they are a much smaller operation so it just takes longer).  They'll be sending out "replacement kits" to everyone that purchased the game online like they did The Supreme Commander (and others).  Has to make you wonder if this has finally put a big enough wrinkle in the overhead expenses to the point that the fire alarms were going off....it sounds like it was.

GMT continues to be a class act, and deserving of my loyalty....  I have a minor gripe with them now and then, but my game closet is full of mostly GMT games and always will be.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Today's newsletter from GMT states they started shipping the redone counter sheets out last week.  So keep an eye out if you have them coming.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Nefaro

Hrmm... still haven't received mine. 

But they weren't supposed to be finished shipping them until this week.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2015, 12:58:51 PM

Mine came with a P500 shipment of Triumph & Tragedy and Chruchill....so maybe that had something to do with getting it earlier.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 14, 2015, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2015, 12:58:51 PM

Mine came with a P500 shipment of Triumph & Tragedy and Chruchill....so maybe that had something to do with getting it earlier.

Note to self:  rub the right parts for the related benefit.

:D