A few WWI / II-related games outside the usual mold

Started by steve58, March 16, 2021, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Saw these mentioned over on Blues News.

WW2: Bunker Simulator  ...and has a demo.
You are an American soldier. One of the distinguished 101st Airborne Division. Soldiers of 101st fought hard and died but they followed orders. They made things that others couldn't. Do you want to be remembered? You'll have to earn it. Your companions have captured the German bunker during the Battle of Normandy, and your task is to defend it at all costs. Defend your bunker! It won't be easy though.

WW2 Rebuilder

More like a city re-builder...centers on the reconstruction of war-torn cities in Europe in the aftermath of World War II.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Phantom

Saw these mentioned over on Blues News.

WW2: Bunker Simulator  ...and has a demo.

... not so much Pavlov's House as Archie Bunkers, well, bunker  :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

FarAway Sooner

I enjoy it when game designers try novel things.  The WW 2 Rebuilder game in particular looks quite interesting to me.

steve58

Here is another, War Hospital, but this one is based in WWI, hence the thread title change.  Definitely, not my cup-o-tea.

When the bullet hits the target, another fight starts.
A fight for life.
A fight for the soul.

The year is 1917. You are major Henry Wells, a retired British combat medic, drafted back and thrown into the nightmare of World War I. Understaffed and undersupplied, you are the last bastion of hope for countless soldiers at the French Front.

Treat horrible war injuries as the commander of a field hospital. Build a facility to heal them while the artillery shells explode ear-splittingly close.  Use real WW1 equipment and see how your tools and methods evolve. Your choices will make a lasting impact.

Build a micro-community of life-savers and survivors. Kindle hope in your staff and soldiers. Bring a speck of normalcy by inspiring periods of ceasefire. Play a war-themed game that celebrates life, not death.

• A war-themed game focused on saving lives, not taking them
  • Society survival that challenges tactics as well as morals
  • Faithfully recreated setting of the French Front in WW1
  • Realistically depicted conditions of a British field hospital
  • Develop and put to use innovative WW1 medical technology
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philistine

War Hospital sounds like it could be an amazing game--but given the description, I'm not really sure I could comfortably play it.

It actually made me take a moment of self-reflection to wonder why I can be perfectly happy playing a game inflicting horrific injures (at levels of abstraction from numbers on a NATO counter down to copious blood and limbs flying off) but I'm not comfortable playing a game dealing with those consequences--especially if its at all graphic.  It's not a squeamishness issue--though I've never played it, I wouldn't have a problem playing something like Surgeon Simulator.

Even this screenshot is disquieting:

It reminds me of MASH (which I love) without the humor.  Important, well done, but ultimately depressing and not something I'd want to do.

I'm a little uncomfortable with what that says about me...

--Philistine

FarAway Sooner

I hear you.  I play games to escape.  I'm not sure that is the first kind of place I'd want to escape to.  But it's a very innovative way to make a game work. 

Other games went dark and nailed the atmosphere piece--Frostpunk comes to mind as one of the best examples!

Gusington

While graphic, it does look amazingly polished. And I've always had an interest in medicine/surgery, etc., even if I may not be able to stomach it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd