DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MOS:96B2P

Those graphics are just amazing.  At first I thought some of it was real world video for advertising.  But on closer review I'm pretty sure the entire video was taken "in game".  The advancement of computer graphics is getting pretty advanced when you have to take a second look to determine if its real video or computer game generated.   :) 

Yskonyn

Can't wait to try tomorrow!  \m/
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Interesting (and encouraging) that Combined Arms is still getting love.

Not a lot of love mind you, but still.  Considering it's lack of popularity I'm a bit surprised they're still investing any time in developing it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on April 14, 2021, 02:20:04 PM
Those graphics are just amazing.  At first I thought some of it was real world video for advertising.  But on closer review I'm pretty sure the entire video was taken "in game".  The advancement of computer graphics is getting pretty advanced when you have to take a second look to determine if its real video or computer game generated.   :)

All in game, most definitely. I remember when we used to fly pixelated lines and colored polygons.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 14, 2021, 04:01:53 PM
All in game, most definitely. I remember when we used to fly pixelated lines and colored polygons.

Don't forget dealing with game authentication wheels and whatnot - and the fear of losing said items.

Jarhead0331

ED has absolutely knocked it out of the park with this patch. I notice no hit to performance, and in fact, it seems to run better! There are over a dozen pre-set cloud formations that can be loaded at present and it looks and feels amazing. The clouds add a completely new dimension to the sim. I just finished the book When Thunder Rolled by Ed Rasimus. He flew F-105s and F-4s in Vietnam. His first 100 missions was in Thunderchiefs and he would often talk about how they needed to adjust their tactics based on the clouds. For instance, they couldn't fly into the route packs deep in North Vietnam where there was a lot of SAM coverage if there were heavy clouds at low altitude since the tactic in early 1965-1966 against SAMS was to race for the ground when they launched. If the clouds were too low, they obviously couldn't do that for fear of flying into mountains or ridges. It was hard to visualize until I just flew over Syria with overcast clouds below 5,000 feet. Holy crap!

In any event, this is another major evolution of this already revolutionary sim.

Bravo Zulu, ED! 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Been a wait but yeah, I pulled the trigger on a lot of DCS I'd waited on.  I'm.....a lot poorer.  New sale set me back a ton.  But, I'm happy.  Finally going to get into DCS beyond Flaming Cliffs planes and some dabbling.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

Dayum...that's nice brother.  What's the size of your...Dic...monitor?     >:D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2021, 01:15:33 AM
Dayum...that's nice brother.  What's the size of your...Dic...monitor?     >:D

Just went to a 49" Samsung super ultrawide.  Sold my older 34" LG Ultrawide for a decent enough amount to make it tolerable on the budget.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

Are you using TrackIR or other such device?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2021, 01:38:27 AM
Are you using TrackIR or other such device?

Yep, TrackIR.  Works like a dream on the setup. 

I had ordered a VR set, well, a long time ago, but cancelled after a very deep delay.  Not sure I'd honestly like it.

Toonces

I've not even tried VR in any setting, so I can't comment on that.  I have to say, though, that with your set up I have to think that TrackIR would work exceptionally well, and even better than VR in some instances, like if you need to access anything visually outside of VR.  I just don't know; I've never done VR for anything.  I keep wondering on its utility with modern aircraft.  I've flown plenty of real-world planes, and you just can't HOTAS everything; a lot still requires you to have your head in the pit...

I'm full-on with trying VR for other things...things that don't require...well, let's just say if I was going to do VR, it'd be for simulation, but "flight" wouldn't be my first choice.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Toonces on April 14, 2021, 03:54:39 PM
Interesting (and encouraging) that Combined Arms is still getting love.

Not a lot of love mind you, but still.  Considering it's lack of popularity I'm a bit surprised they're still investing any time in developing it.

There are a lot of issues with CA that are a result of the underlying engine DCS has been using. Before 2.5, for example, all ground units had LOS through buildings and trees. This wasn't much of a problem when tanks were used in a mission as targets for air units, but once you try to simulate a proper ground battle it becomes an issue rather quickly.

Second big 'problem' is that all units aside from aircraft have very simple damage modelling. They're basically a big hitbox with a certain amount of hitpoints. Once the hitpoints run out the unit get destroyed. They're gradually working on improving this. New damage modelling tech is being developed and partially implemented for the WW2 birds now and I reckon part of that tech will see migration towards the other units over time, however not slightly as detailed for the ground units.
Priority has shifted towards the ships for now, though. Resulting from many complaints about the Harpoon behaving unrealistically.
Overall it seems ED is prioritizing stuff from the viewpoint of the pilot, which makes sense.

Personally, I expect an overhaul of CA/Ground unit behaviour somewhere around the dynamic campaign project getting public testing. Not before.

Going to patch now. 70GB is a lot! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2021, 01:51:48 AM
I've not even tried VR in any setting, so I can't comment on that.  I have to say, though, that with your set up I have to think that TrackIR would work exceptionally well, and even better than VR in some instances, like if you need to access anything visually outside of VR.  I just don't know; I've never done VR for anything.  I keep wondering on its utility with modern aircraft.  I've flown plenty of real-world planes, and you just can't HOTAS everything; a lot still requires you to have your head in the pit...

I'm full-on with trying VR for other things...things that don't require...well, let's just say if I was going to do VR, it'd be for simulation, but "flight" wouldn't be my first choice.

Low res VR is shit. Especially for flightsims. But if you drop the cash for a high-res VR unit it makes all the difference! Everything has lifelike proportions, distances can be gauged much better, air refueling gets easier, formation flying gets easier, air combat maneuvering gets easier. It's that much of a gamechanger.
But there is a considerable investment to be had. Which, incidentally, isn't much of a problem for most simmers it seems. :D

Techtip: if you run the newest Nvidia drivers, Nvidia recommends turning ON 'Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling' ,found in your Windows/Settings/Display/Graphics Settings menu, IF you're running games on a monitor. MSFS and DCS are confirmed to have increased performance with it enabled (contrary to earlier drivers), BUT it will cause severe ghosting in VR!
The shitty thing is that changing the setting requires a reboot, but there you go. YMMV.