Main Menu

Serbia 1914 Team Competition

Started by Boggit, December 14, 2020, 02:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Hi Guys,

I've had some discussions with Rich at JTS about sponsoring a Serbia '14 competition. I will ask for all participants to be provided by JTS with a copy of Serbia '14.

I am minded to run it as a Grand Campaign team game with players acting as Divisional or Corps Commanders. One player will also get the role of commander in chief who will coordinate the emails of the various players in his/her command. In a limited sense this will create an element of initiative as to the order of play.

In principle this style of play should be a lot less demanding in time, and more manageable, than individual league games for a larger campaign. It will also be fun to see how the different commanders will communicate or not.

I'm totally new to running this type of competition, so at this stage I am open to your suggestions for house rules to keep the competition functional and fun.

I haven't seen the game yet, beyond the JTS store details, so I assume this is likely to be a choice between Austro-Hungarians and Serbs (although there are other nations depending on the scenario).

https://johntillersoftware.com/WWICampaigns/Serbia14.html

I propose that we play the 2nd Austro-Hungarian Invasion of Serbia (Fighting Fire with Fire), which seems quite balanced, and also gives the Serbs an opportunity to go onto the offensive as well. However, if the consensus is that we play another scenario we can do that and put your case forward.

https://johntillersoftware.com/WWICampaigns/Serbia14/Notes.pdf

Let me know what interest you have in participating, and any preferences for the side/level of command wanted on this thread.

If we can get an idea of numbers of participants that will be good.

All comments welcome.

Best regards,

Boggit :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Blucher

I would be interested in being a Austrian Corps or Divisional Commander

matt3916

I'm interested in being a Corps or Divisional Commander, no preference as to side.

z1812

I just bought Serbia 14 and to some degree I am familiar with the Tiller operational games system.

I would be interested in being a divisional commander.

reapagan

To command a division of fighting men to glory and victory would be a pleasure for either side.

Boggit

Well we have four competitors so far, which gives two a side. Let me know on the thread if that is workable for you guys, or whether you'd like to see more players involved?

When I have a ballpark for the final numbers I will contact Rich at JTS for copies and we can get started. If you are happy to have two a side and think the Second Invasion of Serbia is too big for a two player team, then we can choose another scenario.

Please let me know your views.  :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

z1812

What were you thinking in terms of turn response. It would be more fun if more people were willing to join. Perhaps more may join if we wait until the New Year to start?

Boggit

We can do. No problem waiting a bit.

I'm just here to get things running.

I just want this to be a fun thing for you guys, so give me as much feedback here as you need. :)

Boggit

Just a bump to remind potential players that we are still recruiting for the game.

JTS have kindly agreed to sponsor the game and will provide copies of the game for the competitors.

We have four players ready so far and could do with more. However, we can do a two a side, but obviously it is a lot more work for just two players compared to four or five in a team.

Shall we wait a bit longer to recruit or so you want me to set a start date fairly soon? I will need to let Rich@JTS know how many copies of the game we need, so I will try and organise that when we have a date to start. LET ME KNOW in this thread how you guys want to do this.

In the meantime. I thought I'd start putting the team together and adding if we have more interest.

Serbia
z1812
Blucher

Austria Hungary
reapagan
matt3916

z1812

If it will only be 4 of us, perhaps a smaller scenario would work better.

nelmsm

I have a copy so wouldn't mind playing but I don't want to get into something too big. Maybe see if there is a scenario that is Corps vs Corps. I'll play the Serbian side if we aren't required to do really quick turns

Boggit

OK, time I think to get things started. If anyone else wants to join later, perhaps we can accommodate them by general agreement.

I need to get copies out to everyone without them and I think Nelmsm is right that we adjust the scenario to suit the number of players.

Let me get in touch with Rich at JTS and when I hear from him we can get things moving. :)

Boggit

OK, I have despatched the serials and links for the game and we are off!

Bearing in mind feedback from z1812 and Nelmsm I have opted to go for a smaller scenario. Unless anyone has strong objections I suggest we play either
Scenario 1914_0821_01: A Matter of Honor (Sabac) (Medium size - 27 Turns), or
Scenario 1914_0906_02: Obliged to Attack  (Syrmia Offensive) (Medium size - 43 Turns)

I suggest these teams...

Serbia
z1812
Blucher
Nelmsm

Austria Hungary
reapagan
matt3916

House rules: Each team will select a commander in chief who will coordinate the order of play for their side. Essentially all this means is that the save file for the turn is passed by the commander in chief to each sub commander for the turn before sending the completed turn to the opposing commander in chief. That way we should be able to coordinate the pace of play without too much trouble.

As this is all new we need to stay in touch on the thread so we can iron out any issues that arise to keep things on track.

Decide your scenario within the next few days and we can get started! :)

z1812

I would prefer the shorter scenario. The shorter the scenario the less likely real life will interrupt the game flow. It also provides more time to consider the strategic and tactical approach.

I was thinking that the person having the most experience with this game system would probably be the best Commander for our side.

NikolaiB

Hi, I just saw Rich Hamilton post about this game in the JTS Facebook page! I am definitely interested in being a divisional commander (any side). Commanding a division is perfect for me and a great chance to try a team game and a larger scenario.

I have some experience playing against the AI in East Prussia '14, but have not played the WWI system in PBEM. I do have PBEM experience from years ago, and recently started getting back into it and have reported a few games.