Main Menu

New Rig, part deux

Started by Jarhead0331, November 26, 2021, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Having just sold my secondary rig, which was a modest 9th generation i7 with a 2080 Ti, and eager to get my hands on intel's new 12th generation of processors, I just built this monster from CyberPowerPC:

CAS: [RAZER EDITION] LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Tempered glass on the front & side
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz [Turbo 5.2GHz] 30MB Cache
FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 240EX ARGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)
FREEBIE_MB: Dual Band 802.11ac AC600 Wireless USB Network Adapter [+0]
HDD: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7000/5100 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1000/1000k [+314] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD [-1] (Single Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB Ports (Based on motherboard and case selection)
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 64GB (16GBx4) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+300] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX ARGB 2.5GbE LAN 3 PCIE X16, 1PCIE X1 6 SATA3 3X M.2 SATA/PCIE
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC FPS Gaming Mouse Pad [+0] (Large 14x12 Inches)
RUSH: Standard processing time: Guaranteed Delivery Before Christmas or Earlier.
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)

I'll bet you DCS in VR will still struggle, but nothing else on the planet better!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

Do you own stock in your local electric company?   :)

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 26, 2021, 03:41:22 PM
Having just sold my secondary rig, which was a modest 9th generation i7 with a 2080 Ti

That is the basis of my NEW rig - how the other half live, eh?

steve58

Very nice, but Windows 11 already? 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on November 26, 2021, 05:08:28 PM
Do you own stock in your local electric company?   :)

All part of my evil plan.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on November 26, 2021, 05:35:51 PM
Very nice, but Windows 11 already?

It's going to happen eventually anyway. Meanwhile, none of my other rigs will be updated to win11.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Been on windows 11 since release day, no issues for me, not really a drastic difference from windows 10.  all games and software work with no issues.

W8taminute

Nice specs on the new system JH.  Let us know how this beast performs once you put it through the paces.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2021, 07:03:47 PM
Nice specs on the new system JH.  Let us know how this beast performs once you put it through the paces.

It's got like a 4 week lead time, so it'll be awhile!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Oh wow.  Well hopefully it will arrive sooner.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Shockingly, this shipped today! Should have it by next Monday.

I'll be honest. I sort of bought this on impulse on Black Friday and after looking a little deeper at reviews for CyberPowerPC, I started to get pretty nervous. A lot of killer negativity out there. Shit being DOA out of the box, bad quality assembly, careless packaging, extremely poor customer service and warranty policies, etc. I was considering canceling. But, they assembled and shipped so quickly despite the holidays and I had no trouble reaching someone on the phone with a couple of questions so I figured give them a chance. I guess it's like anything else...the people who are pissed are the loudest and the ones who are happy are too busy playing. I had no issues with my CyberPowerPC pre-built, which I beat up for two years.

I've got 30-days for a full refund if it gives me any aggravation. Still, my fingers are crossed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

The CyberPower PC I bought 10+ years ago is still running without issue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I bought one years ago and didn't have good luck with it.  Not well put together and had nothing but issues with it where it locked up a d had errors, even after clean installs.  Had to return it and they didn't make it easy. From that point on I have always built my own, which I have never had a major issue since.  I understand people not enjoying that, but I do and nice to pick the components I want and usually only takes a few hours.

With that said, it was long ago and certainly could have just a bad unit which every brand could have. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2021, 07:44:47 AM
I bought one years ago and didn't have good luck with it.  Not well put together and had nothing but issues with it where it locked up a d had errors, even after clean installs.  Had to return it and they didn't make it easy. From that point on I have always built my own, which I have never had a major issue since.  I understand people not enjoying that, but I do and nice to pick the components I want and usually only takes a few hours.

With that said, it was long ago and certainly could have just a bad unit which every brand could have.

I did pick most of the parts that were put into the build, so none of them are really cheap low quality or after market parts. Intel processor, msi motherboard, gigabyte gpu, Samsung ssd, etc. The only major component that I did not specifically select by brand is the ram, but it is described as "performance memory by major brands". The build is so expensive, I needed to try to save money somewhere. Hopefully that won't be my downfall.

Honestly, I'm most concerned about quality at the manufacturing level given the impact of COVID, labor and materials shortages. QA has dropped drastically. In my last CLX build, two different GPUs arrived pretty much DOA. That had nothing to do with the retailer. Apparently, it is extremely common these days.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 07, 2021, 07:57:54 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2021, 07:44:47 AM

I did pick most of the parts that were put into the build, so none of them are really cheap low quality or after market parts. Intel processor, msi motherboard, gigabyte gpu, Samsung ssd, etc. The only major component that I did not specifically select by brand is the ram, but it is described as "performance memory by major brands". The build is so expensive, I needed to try to save money somewhere. Hopefully that won't be my downfall.

Honestly, I'm most concerned about quality at the manufacturing level given the impact of COVID, labor and materials shortages. QA has dropped drastically. In my last CLX build, two different GPUs arrived pretty much DOA. That had nothing to do with the retailer. Apparently, it is extremely common these days.

It's funny, the main issue seemed relaed to the memory in my case:)  I bet you will be fine, this was 10+ years ago anyways.