Microprose Resurrected

Started by steve58, June 24, 2019, 07:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

http://www.combatsim.com/topics/combat-flight-sim/warbirds-2020/

Warbirds was one of the few titles I never played.  Wonder if they will relook at any of their other titles.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Sorry for the triple post.  Im on a DSL connection  :(

LOL....and posted in the wrong area of the forums >:( ;D ...sigh.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Interesting, but I'm a tad skeptical. 

It takes more than the name to bring me back.   The Warbirds brand hasn't exactly kept up with the Joneses on modern combined arms battlefield online titles.   And if Microprose is back, I really would only be truly excited if their legendary sim titles like M1 Tank Platoon, F-19, F-15 Strike Eagle, Ect were back with them.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

^What he said.

I still have my original M1 Tank Platoon manual. Somewhere...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

Covert Action was a great spy game back in the day.

Gusington

I would welcome a renewal of Airborne Ranger! And Gunship.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I got pretty excited about this when I read the thread title, but not the linked article.  (Who know Combatsim.com was still around?)

This is just a resurrection of Warbirds.  Warbirds has been around a really long time, but it got usurped by Aces High like a decade ago.  Only a small hard core of people played Warbirds, if it was even still alive these last few years.

If I'm reading this correctly, Microprose is teaming up to bring back this multi-player flight sim...I'm not seeing a lot to get excited about TBH.  Aces High has had a pretty robust player base and has invested a ton in bringing their graphics up to modern standards and even it is having trouble keeping players.  There are just too many other free options, and I think World of Warplanes is the new king of the block.  It's just what the new generation of players wants.  The monthly subscription model is a tough sell in today's market.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on June 25, 2019, 12:09:19 PM
Bring back MiG Alley!!

I think that one was by Rowan.

IIRC, the source code was voluntarily released into the wild when Rowan went under so the modders could keep.., uh... modding.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Toonces

It's a real shame they couldn't do with Mig Alley what they did with BoB2. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

^Yeah. BoB2 is kinda the M:TW of WW2 air sims. It's still available from Matrix last I looked.

Toonces

Right, but the modders really took it and ran with it.  It came a long way from the stock version.

I know I read something about those guys taking on MiG Alley, but I think they said they only had time to focus on one sim and BoB got the pick. 

Kind of like B-17 2, I'm starting to think we may not see another dedicated sim on these planes again in my lifetime.  It's really too bad.

DoctorQuest

I did manage to find an update to Mig Alley does by the BOB2 team. If I recall it did make some updates for resolutions among other things. I have MA installed on one of my legacy OS partitions.

Note sure the mod is generally available any more.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.