Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

1.7 Beta is out. Game is now 64-bit. Please note: 64-Bit. If you do not have a 64-bit system do NOT install this update.

NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-hydra-1-7-0-beta-patch-checksum-485b.1180595/

FlickJax

Had this since just after launch and still not fired it up :(  even bought an expansion ;)

MC

If you are like me, you will wait until you get all necessary expansions before you even consider never playing it. I got all DLC for HOI 3 and then HOI 4 was released before I could play HOI 3. Might as well hold off on HOI 3 since Hoi 4 is now out. HOI 5 will probably be out until I'm ready for HOI 4 and then the cycle continues.  :idiot2:

solops

Quote from: MC on May 23, 2019, 09:35:00 AM
If you are like me, you will wait until you get all necessary expansions before you even consider never playing it. I got all DLC for HOI 3 and then HOI 4 was released before I could play HOI 3. Might as well hold off on HOI 3 since Hoi 4 is now out. HOI 5 will probably be out until I'm ready for HOI 4 and then the cycle continues.  :idiot2:
+1
Did try them both. Unimpressed. Playing HOI2 Arsenal of Democracy, a much better game that is still supported.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on May 23, 2019, 07:57:49 AM
1.7 Beta is out. Game is now 64-bit. Please note: 64-Bit. If you do not have a 64-bit system do NOT install this update.

NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-hydra-1-7-0-beta-patch-checksum-485b.1180595/

Thanks for the heads up IC...I have the beta downloading right now.  I struggled with the last update and dlc because of the large increase in areas that needed researching yet little in the way of increased research ability. Maybe I just missed something?

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on May 23, 2019, 10:14:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up IC...I have the beta downloading right now.  I struggled with the last update and dlc because of the large increase in areas that needed researching yet little in the way of increased research ability. Maybe I just missed something?

You're welcome Rayfer. Yep, the new research areas are nearly all naval. However, you can now use Land, Air or Naval experience points to buy reduced research times in most land sea or air techs. It does add a new layer of planning and strategy to building and research, as it has long-term impact.
A good tactic is to send navies and air forces on exercises to build XP and then spend it on research. Of course, it depends on fuel reserves. It works well for Major Nations like the US, UK and Germany. On a 1936 start, those nations will be pretty much all covered with historically accurate naval tech by the time war breaks out if you have built up naval XP with exercises.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on May 23, 2019, 10:34:05 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 23, 2019, 10:14:34 AM

You're welcome Rayfer. Yep, the new research areas are nearly all naval. However, you can now use Land, Air or Naval experience points to buy reduced research times in most land sea or air techs. It does add a new layer of planning and strategy to building and research, as it has long-term impact.
A good tactic is to send navies and air forces on exercises to build XP and then spend it on research. Of course, it depends on fuel reserves. It works well for Major Nations like the US, UK and Germany. On a 1936 start, those nations will be pretty much all covered with historically accurate naval tech by the time war breaks out if you have built up naval XP with exercises.

Agreed...but I still think research needs some further tweaking.  Just firing it up now with the beta upgrade and see that, as with all upgrades, none of the mods are compatible.  Oh well, onto war!

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on May 23, 2019, 01:21:15 PM
  Just firing it up now with the beta upgrade and see that, as with all upgrades, none of the mods are compatible.  Oh well, onto war!

Any graphics-only mods should be ok.

Geezer

Bought HOI4 a long time ago but never got into it.  Just watched quill18's 7 part tutorial series based on the 1.6 update and I'm going to start playing soon.  Also watched a couple of Dustinl796's videos that were helpful.  Any other current "must watch" tutorials out there?  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Yskonyn

Cool! I always plan to start as well, but never seem to do. Many times with Pdox games, once I do sit down all tutorials are out of date. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

For me, the naval and air components of the game are too draining and I don't have the focus to sit down and really pay attention to them. Unfortunately, by managing these critical aspects of the war effort in only a very tangential fashion, I usually end up losing the wars when all is said and done.  As Germany, it takes all of my effort to subdue Western Europe and Poland that I am almost always unprepared to take on the Russians. I'm not sure how to get over that hump...I always seem just one army short of being able to hold the line and accomplish my goals.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

I'm playing as the Soviets so hopefully the naval game won't have a big impact for me.  Will focus on land and air in that order.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Geezer on August 03, 2019, 01:00:06 PM
I'm playing as the Soviets so hopefully the naval game won't have a big impact for me.  Will focus on land and air in that order.

As the Soviets you don't need air or sea.   In fact, concentrating too much on either at the expense of land production can be dangerous, especially post MtG.   Germany alone, even as the AI, will have more industry and manpower than any single western ally, including the USA.  This doesn't count the extra resources it gets from the still very powerful AI Italy and Axis minors.  That makes matching them on the ground vital and requires a huge concentration of resources.

I've found the best post MtG Russia strategy to be fortifying behind the Daugava and Dnieper rivers and posting arty heavy 40 width divisions behind the river crossings.  I then concentrate on building breakthrough armor and motorized armies for localized counterattacks and the later mass counterattack after the Germans have exhausted themselves.

Destroying ALL factories west of the Daugava and Dnieper when the Germans start justifying will leave the infruastructure there the only thing that your partisans can target.  That'll mean the entire German army will be sitting before large river crossings with forts behind them, and zero supply.  In that circumstance their air power really won't matter, and will just drain their supply further.

It's also useful to assert claims on Finland when you get the chance BEFORE the Winter War event.  That way you can conquer Finland and close off the northern front to the Germans/Finns.  This also lets you get the Lessons of War focus early, removing those nasty Purge penalties.

Just draw offensive plans once your lines are set and manually place the armored armies that are the most vital and then crush the Germans the minute the western allies make a significant landing in the West.   By then you'll have caught up with air production, which I generally just concentrate on fighters.   You still honestly won't really need it if things went well.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Geezer

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Destraex

I am just looking at hearts of iron Iv and playing it... I have owned it for a while but not really ever played it. I only have the base game.

A few things I notice right away is that I cannot find money or a cost to upkeeping my units in the field. Is this correct? Am I just to build units as fast as I can without penalty to keep paying them? Do I not have gold or currency reserves to use?
I can understand this once a war begins, but in all the years of buildup and diplomacy / trading. It seems to be an oversight?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"