Changelog - picture heavy

Started by Andy ONeill, January 02, 2018, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy ONeill

Map

Increased movement costs of BUA and Fortification.
The former is to make couriers move along roads inside BUA.

Andy ONeill

Game

Sketching out game objects- this is the set of objects used to hold pretty much everything makes up a "game".
There are a lot of these so I'm currently kind of chipping away at the mountain roughing out rock for my statue.
Lots of pieces of rock are flying around and it's a huge mess.
But you need to start from somewhere.

Picking a scenario for a new game now actually has some noticeable effect.
Probably way less than you're thinking though :^)

Click the button and you get to see the scenario name and description set, so far.

Andy ONeill

Game

Added more infrastructure.
Most noticeable effect is that new game now loads the map.

Andy ONeill

Game

Added prototype PieceView.
A unit "on the board" and in action becomes a Piece which additional properties such as location.
A PieceView is the piece of UI which has the circle that can "light up", the triangle indicates facing and the symbols representing unit formation and type.

Andy ONeill

Scenario Editor
Adding message to indicate the ui is busy if the user ignores the spinner and tries to save.
Warning when saving scenario to tell you if there's an orphaned unit - one whose CO is not in the scenario.
This doesn't stop you saving the scenario - you might only be part way through building the thing and want to head off out or something.

Game

More work on Pieces.
Which turned out to be rather more complicated than I was thinking.
I can't "just" re-use code out the scenario editor.
Partly because you don't have to use all of an army in a scenario.

Andy ONeill

Places

There are two labels, one above and one below the plaque for a place.
The plaque is hidden when the points are 0.
The bottom one is usually hidden.
When the place is within a certain distance of the top of the map, the top label is hidden and the bottom one shown instead.
This is the simple mechanism used to stop labels running off the map.
Upped from 30px to 60px.

Game

More work on Pieces - something to show you.
Now visible on map.
Added OOB structure to Units tab.

This first iteration is still very much a prototype EG which army is the player's is still hard coded.
I need to implement the player0 = which army and player1 = other army and a way to switch which is the current player.
Along with pretty much everything like everything to be input and saved per turn like orders and results. 

Andy ONeill

Scenario Editor

Warn user when closing app with unsaved changes.
Similar to the army and map editors.

Andy ONeill

All Menus

Refining look.
Refactor of user message and busy indicator into re-usable common control.

Andy ONeill

Kriegsspiel

Fix piecesize bug.

Andy ONeill

Kriegsspiel piece

Fix width of 3rd kstrength displayed

Andy ONeill

Kriegsspiel pieces

Made the line formation icons square.
Unit type width multipliers are now no longer applied to kriegsspiel line icons.

Andy ONeill

Game

Added mechanism tracks which the "current" side is.
Because ( naturally ) as you play the game you should only be able to order your own units about, see what your entire army contains etc etc.
Add "second" army's pieces to board.
Clear old pieces when starting a new game.

Sitnam

It's gone quiet here and still no word on a release date.  Should backers be worried?

Andy ONeill

Ezra is working on the ai but posts on his blog.
The pause in my development work is due to several factors.
It's a pause rather than end though.

Dr D Ezra Sidran

For the last six weeks or so I've been working on porting the AI code that I wrote for my  PhD dissertation (http://www.riverviewai.com/download/SidranThesis.html) and the MATE project code that I did for DARPA into the General Staff Sand Box which was created for testing AI, combat, etc.

The thing about AI is that I like it's often like being a submarine commander: it's all happening below the surface and often there's nothing much going on visually. AI - especially tactical AI - requires numerous 'building blocks'. For example, one of the most important is being able to identify battle lines. Here is a screen shot from the Sand Box showing how the AI perceives battle lines: .
This scenario uses a restored map from the original 1882 American Kriegsspiel.

I've written at more length about what's going with the battle lines calculating AI on our development blog here: http://general-staff.com/battle-lines-commanders-computers/

As always, please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments (or just reply to this post). I'll be glad to respond.