Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

JasonPratt

I'm thinking of upgrading the map to Westeros 1.2 (which will provide us room for another player or two if they join); but while I have a copy already (which looks quite decent via map editor), Llamaserver doesn't provide download links to it. I think I found it at one of the Shrapnel Dom3 threads. Anyone want to check on that? (I've got to go do something else for a few hours this afternoon... something... TAXING... ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 06, 2013, 01:33:33 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading the map to Westeros 1.2 (which will provide us room for another player or two if they join); but while I have a copy already (which looks quite decent via map editor), Llamaserver doesn't provide download links to it. I think I found it at one of the Shrapnel Dom3 threads. Anyone want to check on that? (I've got to go do something else for a few hours this afternoon... something... TAXING... ;) )

missed out on it last night - do you still want me to post on des and shrapnel, or are we closed?

JasonPratt

Yes we're still open. With 10 players we're getting a bit tight on the Warhammer map; Westeros will give us room for a few more.

Go ahead and put up a thread on Desra and Shrapnel, please.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

CptHowdy

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 06, 2013, 01:33:33 PM

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47697&highlight=westeros

is this the map??

JasonPratt

That's it! -- I know there's a 1.5 version uploaded to Llamaserver, too, but I don't know what's different about it.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 06, 2013, 01:53:33 PM
Yes we're still open. With 10 players we're getting a bit tight on the Warhammer map; Westeros will give us room for a few more.

Go ahead and put up a thread on Desra and Shrapnel, please.

done, and matrix

claes

Ok I have downloaded the map and the mods; is there a guide somewhere that can walk me through their installation?  This is all a learning experience for me so I am not concerned as much with the outcome as much as I am with how much strategic insight I can absorb in the process. 

So is there a guide for installing the mods, and the map?  I may very well have more questions but I am hoping you can point me toward a thread where someone else has already answered them like the mods and maps and whatnot.  I'll keep looking but I'm hoping someone has a good one bookmarked already...

undercovergeek

claes - dont worry about it - all happy to help

download the maps and extract the folder to wherever - it doesnt need to be your dom3 folder

look inside the new folder - there will be 2 files - i THINK .rgb, .map or .tgb - copy these, go to your maps folder inside DOM 3 and simply copy them into there - thats it

to test, open dom 3 and start a new game - the map should show in there

note though i think Jason is map twiddling at the minute and/or he may be picking a new map soon

Huw the Poo

To install a mod, just extract the files in the archive to the mods folder in your Dom3 folder.  It's as simple as that.  Mods must also be activated, which you do from the main menu in the game ("Mod Preferences").

claes

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 07, 2013, 01:57:10 AM
claes - dont worry about it - all happy to help

download the maps and extract the folder to wherever - it doesnt need to be your dom3 folder

look inside the new folder - there will be 2 files - i THINK .rgb, .map or .tgb - copy these, go to your maps folder inside DOM 3 and simply copy them into there - thats it

to test, open dom 3 and start a new game - the map should show in there

note though i think Jason is map twiddling at the minute and/or he may be picking a new map soon

Great!  Thanks, I have the mods mentioned in the OP enabled and have the map in the map folder - it shows up in the game.  Next step is creating my pretender god correct?  But I don't start a game, I just save the god and then I will be emailing that file to the server for turn 0 am I on the right track so far?

undercovergeek

Spot on - I forget which menu its in but yeah stay clear of the game itself and just choose the create pretender option, build your god and your dominion scales and save it - send that file to the llama server - check the first post for the subject heading to place on the mail and just attach your pretender file to it - you should get an email back saying he/her/it has been received 

When the game starts you will also need a folder in saved games in dom 3 folder with the same name as the game - this is where you drop the game turns to and find the files to send to llama

Beelzeboss

I would like to join as Pythium. This would be my first multiplayer game. I think I installed all the mods but do we have to use the sprite mods? In my opinion they look worse then the standard sprites.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Beelzeboss on April 07, 2013, 04:43:43 AM
I would like to join as Pythium. This would be my first multiplayer game. I think I installed all the mods but do we have to use the sprite mods? In my opinion they look worse then the standard sprites.

as far as i know it doesnt care what graphics mod you have - but it will look for CBM - i would say the best way is to not import them, get the starting turn and press go - if it needs them it will tell you it cant continue without mod XXXX

and welcome to the forums and the game

CptHowdy

for future reference but about 5 posts down on page 1 of this thread is a huge Q & A post by jason that explains the steps involved in setting up the game ie..installing the mods, mailing the pretender etc... ;)