a story of a cradle.

Once,
there was a world,
bobbing and spinning within the center of her space,
infused with life, alit by lights both great and small,
upon her and above her.
From the beginning, she had borne her children
—not to stay, but to leave.

But, the children did not always play well.
And, they did not always leave well.
Sometimes they pushed each other out.

Sometimes, they pushed each other hard.

On this cradle lay a vastness of mountains and forests, lakes and islands, rivers and valleys and plains. Half the cradle, the children called Mikon; the other half was water.
On the land, the children lived.
The children often grew into monsters.

Fires and floods, storms and quakes, blood and steel and wood and life, crackled and cracked. This happened many times in Mikon.
And monsters laughed—
while a mother cried, and a father sighed...

I didn't have Dom3 in mind (I don't think Dom1 had even been released yet) when I wrote that introduction for Cry of Justice, but it fits well enough. :)

(Aside from "Mikon" not being "Faerun" I guess... ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Curious. I've found one of my two underwater rivals on the map, but haven't found the other one yet. Specifically, I've only found two victory points in an ocean area (one of them mine of course).

If someone got plopped in an inland sea or something like that, let me know if that's a problem!--I'll tweak the map to remove that as a starting location and we'll reload and start the game again. (Which will take a few days, probably, but better than for someone to start crippled.)

Edited to add: ah, yep, I see you there. Never mind, you're in a completely awesome location (especially if you're R'yleh)! I'd switch with you in a heartbeat if I could!

Also, a warning to my underwater brethren, if not to anyone else -- the map designer accidentally forgot to attach the far southwest water territory to its nearest underwater neighbor to the east, despite that other province being neighbored with the southwest one. Meaning you have to go ashore to reach the southern sea areas moving from west to east, but not when moving east to west. A minor problem but one I ought to fix one day.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

I have set the game delay to 80 hours to begin with (in order to give myself time to run my turn Monday night along with two other Dom3 games I'm playing), but afterward I'll set it back to 48 hours.

We can still send as many turns as possible tonight and tomorrow (Saturday), and of course anyone can send in their turn from Saturday night Central Standard US time until Monday night (just not me, because I'll be at work, out of town, and/or asleep. {g})

claes

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 12, 2013, 11:34:51 AM
LET EVERYONE BE SURE THEY ENABLED (not just installed) CBM BEFORE YOU SUBMITTED YOUR PRETENDER!!

I just checked my Mod Preferences and I am pretty sure that CBN was not enabled when I submitted my pretender.  Because I just enabled it now.  My apologies; in my rush to get my god submitted it seems I may have skipped a step.  Hopefully this is not too difficult to rectify.  What should I do?  My mods are now enabled...

Huw the Poo

I can't run the game.  Console output says it's expecting a .tga map file, but I only have a .map file for Faerun...?

Edit: Never mind, I got it.

W8taminute

I ran into the same problem with the map tga file.  There are two zips you need to dl to get this to work:

http://koti.welho.com/ehalttun/dom3/faerun_466_adventure_fixed.zip

then

http://koti.welho.com/ehalttun/dom3/faerun_466_fixedmapfiles_2009-05-01.zip

Just sent my turn in and got confirmation that it was received.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bison

Received file with no apparent issues.  Although I think my pretender was changed a little bit but I cannot figure out how to check the scale thingys, so I guess we roll with the wing warriors we have and not the winged warriors we want.  :P

P.S.  Huw I must crush you.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bison on April 12, 2013, 08:01:13 PM

You have to find me first!

(Just follow the trail of massive piles of elephant poo)

JasonPratt

No one received any messages about pretenders being changed though, did they?

If not, there shouldn't be any problems. I mean no problems with the mod affecting pretender design.

Scales (due to bad game design in this case) can only be checked by clicking (left-clicking I think) on any little icons appearing to the right of any candles in the province information window at the top of the main map screen. (Clicking on the candles does nothing, even though it should do the same thing.)

Sometimes scaled are altered due to local province factors, and current dominion strength may be a factor, too. Domstrength will always be 1 out of the gate, and increase during each game turn. (Or not, as the case may be, due to other factors, but this early in the game odds are good that everyone's capitol province will eventually reach maximum original dominion before the end of the first year.)

Having said that, I have heard reports from other players that the pretender creation scripts are a bit bugged. Specifically, I've heard (although until now I've forgotten) that adjusting the scales back and forth will confuse the game during pretender creation: it's better to quit without saving your pretender once you've dialed him or her in, and then start over from scratch going to just those settings without any further fiddling around and THEN saving the pretender.

Bison

Well let's all be honest here.  I wouldn't know if I gimped my Pretender or if the game gimped my Pretender or if my Pretender gimped himself to be put out of his memory quicker.

Bison

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 12, 2013, 08:06:36 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 12, 2013, 08:01:13 PM

You have to find me first!

(Just follow the trail of massive piles of elephant poo)

Is that the excuse you have for the stench that follows your army? 

claes

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 12, 2013, 08:12:34 PM

If not, there shouldn't be any problems. I mean no problems with the mod affecting pretender design.

Does this apply even if, as I mentioned above, I did not have CBM enabled during pretender creation?  Sorry Jason...  should I just load up the turn and see if everything is ok?

Philippe

Received the e-mail and everything appears fine.

Except for one minor point which is entirely my fault.

When I sent in my pretender I had installed the balance mod but not the three graphics mods.

Since then I've installed the graphics mods and I've become rather fond of them.

It's not the end of the world if I can't use them, but is there any way to activate them at this late date?  I haven't made or saved my first turn yet.

I also don't remember exactly what went into creating my pretender, so I'd probably rather stick with the current graphics if the alternative is to redo everything from scratch.

I guess I wasn't expecting the game to set a selection (or non-selection) of graphics mods in stone.  Sure was surprised when I saw the strands of toilet paper hanging from those telephone polls.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

claes

Quote from: claes on April 12, 2013, 08:16:39 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 12, 2013, 08:12:34 PM

Does this apply even if, as I mentioned above, I did not have CBM enabled during pretender creation?  Sorry Jason...  should I just load up the turn and see if everything is ok?

After writing the above message I have loaded the turn and everything appears to be fine, or at least the game has not told me that anything is wrong, and the mods are now enabled, so I will continue to do my turn as if everything is normal and hope for the best.

I will have some questions later, but as they relate to gameplay I am sure that anyone with a better understanding then me can answer them and I will hold off for the moment.

My okkenites are thirsty...

JasonPratt

The balance mod doesn't mod all pretenders, so creating a pretender before enabling the balance mod doesn't necessarily result in the game trying to "fix" your "cheating" pretender. If there's no message, the game has no problems. So don't worry, Claes.

You can turn your graphic mods on any time, Philippe, the server doesn't care about those, only about mods that change the stats of units or objective changes of that sort. At worst, the game will turn your mods off when you load a turn.