Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I'm not even sure I'll ever be to expand in this game.  I might just make a super duper mighty huge army to defend my lone province!

elitesix

Some nations definitely have trouble expanding against independents. If you're one of them, some tips:

1) It can be helpful to recruit heavy mercenaries to boost your forces.

2) Also it can be nice to have a prophet near your front line, in your army, but behind a big nice solid block of infantry scripted to smitex5. Smite can kill even heavy cavalry in one hit. Just don't put him much further back then midfield or he might be out of range.

3) In many cases where all you have is melee, but have good protection to arrow fire (heavy armor versus anything but crossbows, or armor + shields), it can be useful to place all your units all the way back with a hold and attack closest. That way, when you attack any independent with mixed speed melee, by the time your forces engage them, they will be strung out. Corresponding, make sure your melee blobs are made up of roughly the same speed of soldiers.

4) If your national troops are really bad, check each and every decently resourced province you conquer for independent troops. I like leather armor crossbowmen and barbarians in particular (though they are the harder indies to conquer).

5) Make sure to keep your commanders out of harms way! Usually that means putting them behind your front line, not in it.

I'm no expert (just started playing my first MP game 3 weeks ago), but these are some things that I have done that have helped me in the past!

Cheers :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 17, 2013, 12:49:55 AM
Great tips!

you know that guy i was telling you about in another game that came too close to my capital so he could get round the mountain range?

and we agreed i should block him and kick his ass?

and then he sent a 100 strong army of freaking demons to kill me?

thats elitesix

elitesix

Well that army is mostly monkeys..but yes a good amount of demons-ogres!!

undercovergeek

pffft monkeys - you should have said!!!

<<comes out from behind castle>>

elitesix

our war in that other game hasn't even really started...

whereas jason and I have already started our knife fight...:/

undercovergeek

Quote from: elitesix on April 17, 2013, 11:03:53 AM
our war in that other game hasn't even really started...

whereas jason and I have already started our knife fight...:/

yeah i perceived it to be more handbags at dawn hence my PM - but since you broke my castle and we're talking monkeys - its on!

ScottWAR

Watch out for those monkey missile weapons,...they are not pleasant,....even if you survive.

JasonPratt

Merc heavy cav is often one of the most cost-effective troops in the game. Heavy cav is notoriously pricey on a per-unit troop basis.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ScottWAR

I myself like conjured, magic, creatures. Cheap and it doesn't bother me one bit when they die. But of course you have to have mages that can lead magic creatures.

undercovergeek

there are many still to send in turns

jesus thats a scary pic

elitesix

Quote from: ScottWAR on April 17, 2013, 12:09:17 PM
Watch out for those monkey missile weapons,...they are not pleasant,....even if you survive.

sticks and stones may break your bones!! (the ingame weaponry for default monkeys includes "sticks and stones" :) )

ScottWAR

archers,...slingers,...I think the monkies should have flingers..........