War Thunder MMO flight sim

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 16, 2012, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Finally got my beta access and I'm downloading now.  This fame is from the team that made the console/PC sim Wings of Prey

I've not tried it yet but the videos I've seen look fantastic.  Hope the gameplay matches the visuals.

Here's a video from the beta showing a dogfight between an F-86 and a MiG-15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3Ps53bLA8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Toonces

Hmmmm.....ok, you have my attention.

Is this an arcade game, or do those planes do more than just look pretty?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Looks so good, but why oh why does it have to be an MMO?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Toonces on August 16, 2012, 12:44:31 PM
Hmmmm.....ok, you have my attention.

Is this an arcade game, or do those planes do more than just look pretty?

Not sure yet.  Their initial offering was based off the IL-2 engine but with significant graphical upgrades.  Flight and damage models weren't as robust though as it was initially designed for consoles.  Also, you could set the game up to fly in full realism mode which was pretty good but you couldn't complete the campaign missions because the objectives were designed with arcade mode in mind (bomb 12 tanks with your P-51.  Not really possible if you've only got 2 500 lbers)

This new game is supposed to have fully scalable realism settings so hopefully that's the case and that the full realism servers are populated.  (I never could find a full realism server for Wings of Prey that was populated and had good ping.  Seemed like it was the Russians who liked full realism and the N Americans who liked arcade settings.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Hellcats vs. Zeros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbm6xSXabM&feature=player_embedded

Damn, I wish I could get this downloaded.  My router's crapped out on me twice now.

Rekim

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 16, 2012, 03:33:14 PM
Damn, I wish I could get this downloaded.  My router's crapped out on me twice now.

I started my download about 24hrs ago. ~55% completed now...and still chugging away at at slow pace. Probably would have been faster to use the torrent. Should be ready to go for the weekend in any case.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried the torrent but there was only 1 seeder and 1460 leachers so it was coming down at about 1kb/s.  Having said that, the launcher d/l hasn't been much better.  Mine's been running all day and I'm still at about 60%  (For some reason, this download is causing my router to lock up and lose connection so I have to unplug it and plug it back in to start it going again.  Thankfully I don't have to reboot and lose all my progress.)

Great Ajax

War Thunder is basically the console game Birds of Steel on steroids using a free to play model similar to World of Tanks.  It does have single player and coop with several dynamic campaigns.  Some of these features you have to pay for though.  I really enjoyed Birds of Steel on the Xbox and this one looks even better as the graphics are great.

Trey

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Rekim on August 16, 2012, 09:39:51 PM

I started my download about 24hrs ago. ~55% completed now...and still chugging away at at slow pace. Probably would have been faster to use the torrent. Should be ready to go for the weekend in any case.

Get yours up and running?  I got a fair amount of play in over the weekend.  Wish I could share my thoughts but the NDA is very strict.

Rekim

It took me a second attempt to completed the download, but finally finished and installed ok. I'm able to start the app and connect to servers ok, but having some difficulties getting my controllers setup right. Think I have the control surfaces close to usable. Still having some show serious issues with the view control though. Not sure if my TrackIR is complicating things.

Eager to get into the fight.

Pretty tight NDA alright.

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 19, 2012, 08:37:50 PM
Quote from: Rekim on August 16, 2012, 09:39:51 PM

Get yours up and running?  I got a fair amount of play in over the weekend.  Wish I could share my thoughts but the NDA is very strict.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I used the setup wizard and it worked like a charm.  TrackIR's working fine and controls are pretty smooth.  (I did have to tweak the rudder a bit to smooth it out.)

Rekim

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 19, 2012, 09:20:03 PM
I used the setup wizard and it worked like a charm.  TrackIR's working fine and controls are pretty smooth.  (I did have to tweak the rudder a bit to smooth it out.)

I tried the setup wizard again for simplified controls, and everything working now including TrackIR.

being able to fly straight has opened up a whole new can of worms though...