VICTORIA III - Available now!

Started by CJReich46, May 21, 2021, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Easy.  You've got 174 hats that have been run through with swords vs 23 something-or-others backed up a whole lot of zeroes.  Also there's a lake.

al_infierno

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 05, 2022, 11:52:06 AM
Also there's a lake.

:2funny:  I can't tell you how relieved I am that the game thought to provide such a helpful tool-tip!   O0

The more I play with the front system the more I absolutely despise it.  It really is just glorified whack-a-mole, but with "fronts" instead of dudes on a map.  I'm just constantly reshuffling generals around, and there's no way to actually assign division to a general.  The enemies have 200 divisions stacked on one front and 2 on another?  Too bad, you're forced to split your forces 50/50!  It seems like the AI intentionally just keeps opening new fronts to screw around with the player.  I also somehow ended up getting St Petersburg navally invaded and got NO warning (!!!!!)

Teleporting troops with absolutely no control over which divisions are assigned where?  Yeah, real awesome immersive stuff!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Commander Cody

In HOI4 the only time I used fronts was for amphibious invasions, since I'm pretty sure that's the only way you can do it. Otherwise I was moving divisions individually. It's a lousy system and I'm sorry to hear Vicky 3 has it. I'll pick this game up on Humble Bundle in five years for $16 with five DLCs like I did with HOI4.

Cheers,
CC

al_infierno

OK, this Reddit post made me laugh.   :2funny:

https://old.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/z0f7ip/i_understand_imperialism_now/

Like most people, I always believed imperialism was an inherent evil. I understood why the powers of the time thought it was okay due to the times, but I believed it was abhorrent on moral grounds and was inefficient practically. Why spend resources subduing and exploiting a populace when you could uplift them and have them develop the resources themselves? Sure you lose out in the short term but long term the gains are much larger.

No more. I get it now. As my market dies from lack of raw materials, as my worthless, uncivilized 'allies' develop their industries, further cluttering an already backlogged industrial base, I understand. You don't fucking need those tool factories Ecuador, you don't need steel mills Indonesia. I don't care if your children are eating dirt 3 meals a day. Build God damned plantations and mines. Friendship is worthless, only direct control can bring prosperity. I will sacrifice the many for the good of the few. That's not a typo

My morality is dead. Hail empire. Thank you Victoria, thank you for freeing me.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Gave me a chuckle as well. Thanks.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

^They should put that post on the Steam page as an endorsement  :nerd:

'Victoria opened my eyes to what the world lost when imperialism died.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Is anybody playing VIC III currently?

Old TImer

Quote from: fran on November 24, 2022, 12:44:00 PM

Waiting for a couple of patches.   Maybe a couple of DLCs.

al_infierno

Quote from: fran on November 24, 2022, 12:44:00 PM

I still fire it up from time to time, but in its current state it feels rather empty and disappointing.  Especially the god-awful war system.  This one definitely needs some DLC before I'd consider it a solid game IMO.

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on November 29, 2022, 07:58:34 PM
Does it 'play itself?'

Yeah, at a certain point it feels a bit like Cookie Clicker but you can choose your strategic goals.   :crazy2:

- MengJiao

Gusington

I felt that way all the way back in EU1... :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Update 1.1 "Early Grey":

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-update-1-1-earl-grey-is-now-live-checksum-0d2e-not-for-problem-reports.1560487/

Features

- Reworked Morale to inflict a base loss for every round of battle, modified by the difference in casualties inflicted between the sides as well as various other modifiers
- Reworked Legitimacy to provide bonuses and penalties to countries at different Legitimacy levels
- Added a new Legitimacy modifier based on Votes in Government
- Replaced Legitimacy Penalty from Government Size with a Legitimacy Penalty from Ideological incoherence
- Treaty Ports will no longer function if the owner's Power Rank isn't greater than the market owner's, ensuring Great Powers cannot use them to get access to the markets of other Great Powers

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on November 05, 2022, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 05, 2022, 11:52:06 AM
Also there's a lake.

:2funny:  I can't tell you how relieved I am that the game thought to provide such a helpful tool-tip!   O0

The more I play with the front system the more I absolutely despise it.  It really is just glorified whack-a-mole, but with "fronts" instead of dudes on a map.  I'm just constantly reshuffling generals around, and there's no way to actually assign division to a general.  The enemies have 200 divisions stacked on one front and 2 on another?  Too bad, you're forced to split your forces 50/50!  It seems like the AI intentionally just keeps opening new fronts to screw around with the player.  I also somehow ended up getting St Petersburg navally invaded and got NO warning (!!!!!)

Teleporting troops with absolutely no control over which divisions are assigned where?  Yeah, real awesome immersive stuff!

I don't buy brand new Paradox games anymore and you just reaffirmed this for me. This new front system sounds terrible. I hate whack a mole games.

fran

Anybody playing this at the moment?

Not bought it but would like to know your thought a few months in

Thanks