Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam

Started by spelk, September 17, 2013, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

It's on my To-Get list.
Has anyone here tried it?

I've got a similar game already, Quintet.

panzerde

Bought it last night because, hey, $7.  Unfortunately, my lack of friends makes it hard to play. :'(
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Do you have to jack with something like Hamachi to get it to work over the net? 

It's an excellent concept, but being a multiplayer game, it really needs more internet multiplayer features.  Other than some of the Trek SuperGeeks and their Trekkie clique, who has enough friends to not only want to play this, but do so on a LAN.  I've not attended a LAN party in ages, and I suspect it's not all that popular anymore now that internet speeds have risen so much.

Looks like a lot of unique fun, but desperately needs some matchmaking, and probably built-in voice, to get much use from most gamers.  Sadly.  :'(

JasonPratt

Its Steam greenlight page automatically asks for redirection to some other places now, so here's the Steam store page instead:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

I love this idea.

I'm going to buy it. Maybe we can get together with it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Yskonyn

I have played it at a LAN party.
It's fairly simple and only a few missions are available or were working properly, but the concept is fantastic and provides for some fun evenings!
If only they would kick into the next gear developing it...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

spelk

Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 11:08:13 AM
I love this idea.

I've bought it, but have no-one to play it with :)

I tried to set up a solo server, but I think you need the server and a client to play it. dunno if that means you need two copies, to play solo or not. But solo would probably be a very tedious version of the game.

Skype or Google Hangout, and a team of 5 others with the game, one running a server, should work.

Here's the FAQ
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=9

Q: The bridge license is for up to 6 computers, but I've put the game on 6 computers, and now a new buddy is replacing an old one. How can the new buddy play without breaking the 6 computer limit?

A: there's no copy protection or complicated systems or limits. I just ask that you share with your bridge crew, and not the whole world. It's okay to install your purchased game on any computer that makes up your crew. But if your crew member takes that copy and starts her own bridge crew, you should encourage her to buy her own copy.

LongBlade

Quote from: spelk on September 18, 2013, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 11:08:13 AM
I love this idea.

I've bought it, but have no-one to play it with :)

I tried to set up a solo server, but I think you need the server and a client to play it. dunno if that means you need two copies, to play solo or not. But solo would probably be a very tedious version of the game.

Skype or Google Hangout, and a team of 5 others with the game, one running a server, should work.

Here's the FAQ
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=9

Q: The bridge license is for up to 6 computers, but I've put the game on 6 computers, and now a new buddy is replacing an old one. How can the new buddy play without breaking the 6 computer limit?

A: there's no copy protection or complicated systems or limits. I just ask that you share with your bridge crew, and not the whole world. It's okay to install your purchased game on any computer that makes up your crew. But if your crew member takes that copy and starts her own bridge crew, you should encourage her to buy her own copy.

Thanks for the link to the FAQ. Looks like my question is answered about how many are needed to play:

QuoteA: No. The game takes 3-6. There are 5 bridge stations (Helm, Weapons, Science, Engineering, and Comms). Only Helm and Weapons are REQUIRED to play and win the game. The others greatly enhance the game, but you can play without them. In fact, the free demo of Artemis only lets you play the Weapons and Helm stations.

I also note with glee that a server can host multiple bridges, so you can do pvp against other ships.

Sweet, we can order uniforms, too! http://incandescent-workshop-store.myshopify.com/products/artemis-uniform-pack

panzerde

I'd give it a shot if we managed to get a game together.  Sounds like a good time!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

LongBlade

Quote from: panzerde on September 18, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd give it a shot if we managed to get a game together.  Sounds like a good time!

We will. This weekend - maybe Saturday.

jomni

A multi-player game without good matchmaking? They should have dropped the idea where everyone sits in  the same room and allow for easier online play.