Main Menu

Building a pit

Started by Jarhead0331, January 10, 2019, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

As mentioned in the DCS thread, I've started to build a cockpit since I have been devoting more and more time to high fidelity flight simming. So far, I've set up the Next Level Stand with the Flight and desk-top add-on kits.

I'm getting used to it, and for flying its great. The problem is more the impact on all of my other gaming. Even the stand takes up a lot of space and if I just want to use the PC for traditional gaming, work, or anything else, the stand and associated equipment is definitely in the way. Additionally, forget about room scale VR gaming. The thing takes up most of the space where I stand and move around.

Now, the arms of the stand can slide down so I can push the thing under my desk. This takes only a minute or two.

I think I'm going to stick with this set up for awhile and see how it works out. Anything more and the impact on my other gaming, work activities, etc. will be more permanent.

FYI - Before anyone says anything...my daughter picks the desktop pictures...   :-\

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Great, keep it simple like that.  When you first mentioned it, I thought you were going to spend a bunch of money on some premade consumer model.  A simple stand DIY is just as good.  If your going to spend money, I'd spend it on new sticks or rudder peddals.

Gusington

Before you said your daughter picks the desktop pictures I thought the image was a reflection.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Is that the helmet you wore during your Marine days on your PC case? :P

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on January 10, 2019, 01:57:56 PM

Negative. its the helmet I wore during my Mandalorian Bounty Hunting days.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 10, 2019, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 10, 2019, 01:57:56 PM

Negative. its the helmet I wore during my Mandalorian Bounty Hunting days.

How would you compare that job to your current one, being a lawyer?

Yskonyn

Nice one JH! It seems quite practical. I also thought you were going for a full on pit.

Here my setup:

The monitor on the right is 22" by the way, for reference.😜
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

^ Whats that switch pad above your keyboard ?

DoctorQuest

My set up looks a lot like Yskonyn's. I have one desk set up for simming and another one for everything else. The joystick and throttle "holders" look nice.

Nice, practical pit, JH. It looks like it would fit the bill very well.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Skoop on January 10, 2019, 03:50:56 PM
^ Whats that switch pad above your keyboard ?

That's a DSD Flight series buttonbox.
I use it to control radio volume in DCS and several other functions like course and heading pointer control, altimeter setting, lights and pitot switching, etc.

http://derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-flight---flt1flt2.html

The rotaries for volume, course and altimeter especially are a great quality of life improvement in multiplayer when trying to stay in formation or execute certain procedural maneuvers.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

I have the same challenge using my sim pit for any other gaming other than flight simming.  Thus, I actually end up doing most of my gaming on a laptop and just leave the pit for the sim stuff.

If you've got the disposable cash, that might be an option.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DoctorQuest

I use a single desktop for both simming and regular gaming. I just have two monitors, keyboards and mice. My video card has no problem with two monitors and the magic of USB takes care of the keyboards and mice. I didn't spend any money on the joystick stand, only a few dollars on my throttle stand and my pilot's seat is a good quality office chair I got when my former company remodeled.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Holy mother of God, Yassy...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

Yskonyn's  O0

WOW those stick und throttle mounts at the table look sturdy ...i bet you can pull a lot of Gs with that when someone on your 6 ;)

it looks like frame parts i knew from lab equipment or for a pilot plant setup?

FlickJax