Agnadello, May 14, 1509

Started by MengJiao, June 20, 2019, 01:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

For some reason, I dwelt avidly on these battles of the "Italian Wars" in my youth.  Even in workman-like games like the Men-0f-Iron series (which has now, almost melodramatically -- but not quite -- reached the days of the arquebus) you can see the Banda Nerri (as the "Black Band" -- a bunch of Medician Mercenaris) showing up on two different sides in the counters and there's Gonzalo de Cordoba, but you can't see the white hats and shoes.

I guess nothing about Agnadello captured my youthful imagination -- just another slaughter where the French are aggressive and it really pays off.  We'll believe you me -- they aren't going to have quite so easy a time obliterating the Venetian Mercenary Mainland Holdings this time if I can help it.  I've altered the game so that it works solitaire with chit-pull-style die-roll alternations and what not AND the Venetians are going to be reinforced as allowed by an optional version of the battle.  Anyway it all starts with Barthelomeo getting his mercenaries together on a hill to face the French King and his mercenaries:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 20, 2019, 01:29:22 PM

For some reason, I dwelt avidly on these battles of the "Italian Wars" in my youth.  Even in workman-like games like the Men-0f-Iron series (which has now, almost melodramatically -- but not quite -- reached the days of the arquebus) you can see the Banda Nerri (as the "Black Band" -- a bunch of Medician Mercenaris) showing up on two different sides in the counters and there's Gonzalo de Cordoba, but you can't see the white hats and shoes.

I guess nothing about Agnadello captured my youthful imagination -- just another slaughter where the French are aggressive and it really pays off.  We'll believe you me -- they aren't going to have quite so easy a time obliterating the Venetian Mercenary Mainland Holdings this time if I can help it.  I've altered the game so that it works solitaire with chit-pull-style die-roll alternations and what not AND the Venetians are going to be reinforced as allowed by an optional version of the battle.  Anyway it all starts with Barthelomeo getting his mercenaries together on a hill to face the French King and his mercenaries:

But only about half-an-hour into the battle, the Venetians are falling apart pretty fast.  Things look sort of calm in this picture because the Swiss and the Gendarmes have just won all of the hand-to-hand engagements and eliminated the Venetian Sword-and-Buckler men they were facing.  If the Venetians can hang on for another half hour they will be getting reinforced...but it all looks kind of iffy at this point:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 20, 2019, 07:26:47 PM

But only about half-an-hour into the battle, the Venetians are falling apart pretty fast.  Things look sort of calm in this picture because the Swiss and the Gendarmes have just won all of the hand-to-hand engagements and eliminated the Venetian Sword-and-Buckler men they were facing.  If the Venetians can hang on for another half hour they will be getting reinforced...but it all looks kind of iffy at this point:

This attack was the beginning of the end and about 45 minutes into the battle, the Venetian mercenaries began to take off.  Historically, that was enough to trigger other forces of Venetian Mercenaries to disband as well: