What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I've not been reading war books recently - until the last month or so.

Started and then stopped a poorly edited book on the Spanish Civil War.  Two other books I read were much, much better.

I'm listing to an audiobook version of Black Hawk Down currently.  Reads like a horribly chaotic situation - but what would you expect from a country with no functioning government - for the last 1000 years or so.

Toonces

^ I read about half of Black Hawk Down years ago, but I never did finish it.  Be sure to post your thoughts when you're done.  I could be convinced to give it another go.   :)

Edit:  Ah, I missed the audiobook part.  I'm definitely not an audiobook guy.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

The Afghan Campaign is even better than Gates of Fire IMHO. Pressfield is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. Definitely going to get his books on Alexander the Great and The Six Day War. He's got some books on writing too that would probably help me help myself too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I just got my copy of, "Normandy '44" by James Holland, 720 pages. That should keep me busy until X-Mas.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Good for you, Gus.  I am really glad you like it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Can't believe it took me this long to get to these books :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Gusington

I can't get over how quickly I get through them...they are really quick reads. Pressfield has a gift. I am going to pickup. Virtues of War next.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Just finished up, "Rampage:The Battle of Manila" by James Scott. Great book about the battle and commanders, Mac Arthur & Yamashita as well as the soldiers stories as well. Also a fact-based and brutal telling of the Japanese atrocities committed against the Phillipino and American civilians caught in the middle. Enjoyed it but you need a strong stomach to get through it at times. 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Toonces on June 22, 2019, 10:51:39 AM
^ I read about half of Black Hawk Down years ago, but I never did finish it.  Be sure to post your thoughts when you're done.  I could be convinced to give it another go.   :)

Edit:  Ah, I missed the audiobook part.  I'm definitely not an audiobook guy.

I've found Black Hawk Down to be poorly edited and of questionable accuracy.  The guy keeps writing about what is going on in the minds of individual US Soldiers and Somalis which I find difficult to believe.  Did he interview all of these people - doubtful, especially the Somalis and the ones who died.  Did he actually get what was going through the minds of all of those people at the time - highly doubtful.  I'm sure quite a bit of it is an accurate description of chaos and old night when an urban battle goes to absolute hell unplanned - but I think he went too far.

The book is also poorly edited.  He keeps jumping back and forth from backstory to current events and back again.  He also takes on so many viewpoints that it is even harder to follow what is going on even given the chaotic situation.  I would not recommend this one.

Gusington

Started Legion vs. Phalanx by Myke Cole, another quick read. The author has had quite an interesting life in the military and law enforcement and is a self-professed nerd and wargamer.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Tearing through books this summer. Now reading Taken by the Flood: The Roman Invasion of Greece...forgot the author's name.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

"Lincoln and the Abolitionists" by Kaplan  Just started it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Just started Life in Egypt Under Roman Rule by Naphtali Lewis. Slightly academic but the author has a good sense of humor too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

Just finished The Good Shepard by C.S. Forester which I hear Tom Hanks is making into a movie, and have now started Dividing the Spoils, The War for Alexander The Great's Empire. Should be a nice read to accompany my Field of Glory Empires play.