What to do about Religion and Politics?

Started by Jarhead0331, October 20, 2020, 07:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

OK...for the time being, I have added a feature that permits members to ignore boards that they do not wish to see. So if you decide to ignore the R&P board, the board and posts should be hidden.

Anyone want to give it a shot and come back to report if it works with the index?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2020, 12:17:00 PM
OK...for the time being, I have added a feature that permits members to ignore boards that they do not wish to see. So if you decide to ignore the R&P board, the board and posts should be hidden.

Anyone want to give it a shot and come back to report if it works with the index?

I used it...will let you know how it works.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Works like a charm for the "Recent Posts" index, but interestingly it doesn't seem to actually remove/ignore the board and posts itself from the forum.  That's a perfect solution in my mind, but not sure if others wanted to be able to block it from view entirely.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Can we choose to ignore members instead? JUST KIDDING!  ;D  I for one do plan to spend less time at R&P. Seems pointless to just argue. That I can get from the Wife.  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Father Ted

Keep it as it is would be my vote.  I appreciate the opportunity to see how people think about such stuff.  For the most part  I'm in the contrary position to everyone else around here, but I like to understand what those positions are.

SirAndrewD

I feel like we lost a lot of valuable contributors to this forum because of it. 

I honestly like everyone here, so when someone leaves, and they generally express because they feel that the site is extremely right wing, to the point of it being uncomfortable, it's painful. 

I respect your opinions even if I don't agree with them, but I feel some of the R&P topics and threads don't respect ideas that are left of center.   I've said several times I'm, politically a Republican and have been for my life.  I'm voting Democrat this year but I voted for Johnson in 2016.  I don't particularly agree with the left, but I don't demonize it and understand that both sides have a lot of right and wrong. 

There's a lot of what we historians call "The Erosion of the Middle" here.  And trust me, I've seen it from leftist people too.   I've literally lost friends on the left since 2016...in VERY ugly fashions.  Not forum friends, actual personal IRL friends.  I lost them because I did things like not vote for Clinton, and defend some stuff on the right. 

So, yeah, I'm one of the votes for shut it down.  I'll keep participating in it if it's here and I understand why people want it.  But, I feel we've lost a lot more than we've gained.   The silence from some of the people that are gone is deafening.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jamus34

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2020, 08:10:45 PM
I feel like we lost a lot of valuable contributors to this forum because of it. 

I honestly like everyone here, so when someone leaves, and they generally express because they feel that the site is extremely right wing, to the point of it being uncomfortable, it's painful. 

I respect your opinions even if I don't agree with them, but I feel some of the R&P topics and threads don't respect ideas that are left of center.   I've said several times I'm, politically a Republican and have been for my life.  I'm voting Democrat this year but I voted for Johnson in 2016.  I don't particularly agree with the left, but I don't demonize it and understand that both sides have a lot of right and wrong. 

There's a lot of what we historians call "The Erosion of the Middle" here.  And trust me, I've seen it from leftist people too.   I've literally lost friends on the left since 2016...in VERY ugly fashions.  Not forum friends, actual personal IRL friends.  I lost them because I did things like not vote for Clinton, and defend some stuff on the right. 

So, yeah, I'm one of the votes for shut it down.  I'll keep participating in it if it's here and I understand why people want it.  But, I feel we've lost a lot more than we've gained.   The silence from some of the people that are gone is deafening.

I'm with you SirAndrew.

I would charactorize myself as a conservative but even that is being tried due to some personal issues I've been dealing with.

That said, at the end of the day I can't really support either side based on what the parties are made up of currently vs my current economic position. I consider myself / family as middle class, probably would be classified middle high class in in most states but property taxes alone will get you anywhere from a nice used car to brand new accord every year, depending where you live in NJ. So, because I am not ultra rich, so the Republican right has no use for me as I am not a major corporation, I do not run a major corporation and I am not one of the 1%. However, I have a mind, I don't follow people easily and I like to call BS when I see it, so the Democratic left also has no use for me. Therefore, no matter who gets elected I know I am getting screwed over.

So ultimately I consciously vote most specifically on things that effect me directly, IE state and local referendums, local town council, county seats, school board, etc. Since I know regardless of who sits in the WH I am getting screwed I really don't give a shit; they both suck.

Ok, I'll get off the bourbonbox now.

Have a good night Grogs.
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

+1 to the last two comments.  I'd actually like to re-rescind my vote and cast it as Option 1.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

I'm literally not lying in that my voting history as a "young" man is this...

Dole, Bush, Bush, McCain, Romney, Johnson, Biden.

That's where I am at.  And please get, I'm not getting there from an uninformed place. 

We're not in a vacuum. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

guys....you're proving my rationale for even starting this poll. Even this thread is crossing over into politics. It finds a way to seep into everything.

The only thing I want to add is on a personal note in response to SirAndrews comment about how certain people left the site over "right wing" politics. I've never accepted that as the true cause for why certain people left. It is completely unreasonable. If you're going to abandon something you helped build over a period of years and friends you've had for decades simply because some people hold different political views, then you should be in therapy. That's just not how the world works. If you have a problem with something that was posted or with certain members, you talk about it. You don't abandon your friends without any prior notice, complaint or discussion. It was a bullshit excuse then and it's a bullshit excuse today.

We don't allow extremist views of any kind here. Period. We never have and we never will. If anyone ever feels like a line is crossed, you come to me, Gus or one of the mods. Your concern will be addressed.

In the words of the great Forrest Gump, that's all I've got to say about that.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Although I have already written many posts in R&P, I am convinced that this has not changed anyone's vision. And although I now understand a number of points of view better, I haven't really changed my mind either.

As long as society remains so polarized (and this is certainly not only the case in the US) R&P has no real added value, I fear.

News facts can still go to Current Events if we can keep that forum fairly clean.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 21, 2020, 07:22:36 AM
Although I have already written many posts in R&P, I am convinced that this has not changed anyone's vision. And although I now understand a number of points of view better, I haven't really changed my mind either.

As long as society remains so polarized (and this is certainly not only the case in the US) R&P has no real added value, I fear.

News facts can still go to Current Events if we can keep that forum fairly clean.

I agree. But therein lies the problem. What's a "fact"? Facts and data are all manipulated now to support one agenda or another. You post a lot of links around here to articles that you probably view as factual. Others here probably view them as satire.

I don't want to be in the business of having the final say on what is a permissible fact and what is  impermissible fiction. I'll leave that to Facebook and Twitter. See what I did there?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

FWIW, I am 100% certain that yes, our old partners and members left and used the 'extreme right of this site' as an excuse. I miss most of who left because I considered them good, if virtual, friends, but they left for other reasons and the 'rightism' of GH was clearly a BS excuse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 21, 2020, 07:22:36 AM

Pete - you occasionally post things that change my mind.  And your response to my Fallout New Vegas modding question has shaped my gaming for more than a week and still going strong.  Thanks!

Ubercat

Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2020, 07:57:20 AM
FWIW, I am 100% certain that yes, our old partners and members left and used the 'extreme right of this site' as an excuse. I miss most of who left because I considered them good, if virtual, friends, but they left for other reasons and the 'rightism' of GH was clearly a BS excuse.

I'm not convinced that it was just excuses from their perspective. Left leaning people seem to have a mental caricature of the positions of conservatives and centrists that doesn't match reality. Just recently on this board we've seen an assumption that a supporter of gun rights would only want them for white people. Also, bringing up cultural differences as a possible cause of racial disparity seemed to lead to the assumption that I was naive and had little to no familiarity with actual black people.

Head scratchers for sure.

Edit: sorry this post seems a little harsh. I'm posting from my phone at work and it's more difficult to settle on a tone. Maybe I should have a rule that I only post from home.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell