P-38 Found In MI Field

Started by LongBlade, November 12, 2012, 09:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Electric_Strawberry on November 29, 2012, 09:44:42 PM
Here's another book on the P-38 that I highly recommend.  The name "Forked Tailed Devil" was given to it by Luftwaffe pilots.

I can't quite see that book from way over here... can you hold it up a bit higher so's I can try and make out the title?? 

:D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

Wow, tha's a name you don't see much.
Martin Caiden wrote a lot of World War II aviation books that were put out by Ballantine paperbacks.  Think as a teen, you couldn't check the books in a drugstore, and not see something by him.
Vaguely recall that his best one may have been "The Ragged Rugged Warriors" on the early war fighter pilots.  Had a good section on the aerial fighting in New Guinea I think.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Electric_Strawberry

The P-38 is my favorite aircraft of all time.  Here's a video of one on U-Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZas43xm2U

The Confederate Air Force used to visit St Louis nearly every year in the 1980's and I always enjoyed seeing all their vintage WWII aircraft, especially their P-38.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Electric_Strawberry on November 30, 2012, 11:39:58 AM
The P-38 is my favorite aircraft of all time.  Here's a video of one on U-Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZas43xm2U

The Confederate Air Force used to visit St Louis nearly every year in the 1980's and I always enjoyed seeing all their vintage WWII aircraft, especially their P-38.

Thanks for the video link.  The P-38 is in my to three favorite WWII planes.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

steve58

...and another WWII plane, an FM-2 "Wildcat" Fighter, pulled not from a Michigan field, but Lake Michigan...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/07/world-war-ii-plane-recovered-from-lake-michigan/?intcmp=obnetwork

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)