Main Menu

Sony's Spine

Started by BanzaiCat, December 17, 2014, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

...or lack thereof.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-scraps-the-interview-1201328639/

QuoteIt's Official: Sony Scraps 'The Interview'

Sony Pictures has made official what has been painfully obvious to everybody since yesterday morning, when hackers threatened to blow up movie theaters if The Interview was released next week. The studio has officially scrapped its release plans. Sony had little choice here, after the major theater chains announced earlier today they would not display the film given the threatening circumstances. Here's the statement:

In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the
film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the
planned December 25 theatrical release. We respect and understand our partners'
decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety
of employees and theater-goers.

Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against
our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our
intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material,
and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the
release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen
effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to
our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers
and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this
outcome.

Say what you will about Seth Rogan's movies or The Interview in particular, but this sets a very, very dangerous precedent. It's been painfully obvious over the last few years that the picture studios/distribution houses are starting to pander more and more to the Asian markets, and this is pretty much a collapse of will in the face of threats. I can't believe this.

F&ck it. I would go to see this movie on 12/25 just because I doubt these idiots can blow up movie theatres - what a crock of sh!t. I probably would not have seen this until it comes out on DVD, but it's the principle of the thing, dammit. The precedent that has now been set is any group can decide they don't like a movie and threaten entire chains to get them to not show it.

I mean, it's a SATIRE movie, for chrissakes. Rogan admitted they make fun of the U.S. just as much - nobody is safe in this film. These idiot hackers probably don't even know what it's about. Nor does the fat twinkie in charge that all of this can no doubt be traced to.

I know, it's "just a movie" and some people might think 'who cares.' Still, I am very disturbed by this precedent.

Staggerwing

If Sony wants back at the little fatty and his code serfs there is an easy (though not cheap) middle finger: release the movie for free on the internet. Skip the DVD release, let it go everywhere at once, and watch Li'll Kimmy 2.0 swell up into a giant blueberry with impotent rage. Hilarity ensues.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

One less Seth Rogan film in the world...  Not exactly a bad thing in my book.

bbmike

No desire to see the movie but to not show it is dumb, dumb, dumb. It's clear that North Korea is behind this and
their powerless threats should be ignored.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Well, what I'm reading online says Sony is just telling theaters they don't have to show it if they don't want to. I hope they all show it.

[edit] Nevermind, it's been pulled by Sony. Cowardly bastards.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

I expect Sony to make some kind of amends to Lil' Kim like a huge donation( bribe) to the N.Korean widows and orphans fund or something and all the threats will go away. Then Seth and Sony can make their millions back.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Im still seeing adds for it on tv.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Con

Rumor I am hearing is direct release to PPv.

Con

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 17, 2014, 08:08:42 PM
Im still seeing adds for it on tv.

Ad slots were probably bought and paid for months ago. It could take time to pull them out of rotation.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

NBC News says it has confirmed NK is behind this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-behind-sony-hack-u-s-officials-n270451

Now I really want to see it just to tell the norks to suck it. And I'll buy the blu-ray, too, as support.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

The whole thing is stupid, but I'm not sure what else Sony was supposed to when all the major theater chains refused to show it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on December 17, 2014, 08:29:21 PM
NBC News says it has confirmed NK is behind this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-behind-sony-hack-u-s-officials-n270451

Now I really want to see it just to tell the norks to suck it. And I'll buy the blu-ray, too, as support.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have bothered with it before. Now I want to see it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

or this is among the most brilliant marketing ploys ever.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I still haven't ruled that out. The movie may blow chunks and this is the only way they could make something out of it.

Staggerwing

After that asshole shot up the theater showing the Batman film the chains don't want to take any chances. How long before they also shy away from any films which are the least bit critical of Islamic Fundamentalism?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys