Main Menu

Sony's Spine

Started by BanzaiCat, December 17, 2014, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2014, 05:45:41 PM
I still maintain that Rodman was possibly the most brilliant CIA plant ever.

There was even a recent movie satirizing that ide... ohhhh...  :))
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

Just a stray thought, but aren't we kinda helping out the Norks by shutting down their internet access?  I mean, don't they *want* it shut off so that no one can read about what a craphole they live in?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

I don't think they're allowed to visit the, "We're Living in a Craphole" sites. N. Kor. has 2 websites. The first is the government propaganda website and the second one has one post that says, "GO BACK TO OTHER SITE!!!" I know that's an old one but not as old as the Korean War. If we really want to scare the shit out of the N. Kor's, we ought give them access to Grogheads I say.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

I will probably go see The Interview when I get a chance, because I don't like the idea of some third world moron telling me what I can go see. And then I will probably never go see another Sony movie again if I can help it, because they caved to a tin pot thin skinned dictator with the brains of the trout instead a standing up and having some balls
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 22, 2014, 05:44:16 PM
They shut down a company, we shut down a country. Now if only we would release all the found emails detailing various depravities and the videos of Supreme Brat Kim Jong-un playing naked patty cake with Dennis Rodman......you know we have them.

Shutting down a country with perhaps a whole seven functional computers in total isn't exactly impressive... :P

Look, if North Korea now controls Hollywood, maybe they could throw us a solid and demand an end to the Paranormal Activity series? Perhaps we could send them Michael Bay and have him torn apart by dogs? This could work out for both sides!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 23, 2014, 01:32:33 PM
Well, ain't THIS sh!t interestin'...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/alamo-drafthouse-announces-christmas-day-screenings-of-the-interview/

Yep. Sony decided to release in a 'select number of theaters'. My guess is that they got plenty of small chain and single owner theaters volunteering to show the film once the media went crazy with the story.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

If they wanted to bomb a bad movie, they should've bombed Evita. I'd throw a hand grenade at that one myself. The only 99 cent movie I've ever walked out on. I mean ran.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

The Year of Living Dangerously.  And the only concert I ever walked out on was Ozzy.  On his birthday.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Harry probably just wants to see if the Norks can really detonate a theater.

(But if they do, it'll be okay, he'll act as a shield and buffer everyone else.  O0 )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

The movie is on YouTube now, for rent.

I assume it's going up elsewhere as I type this, too.

BanzaiCat

I found one site where it's been streamed free, and it's a DVD quality copy, but it's running very slow as there's thousands of people no doubt checking it out now.

Slow clap for Sony. They knew exactly what they were doing. I wonder how many are paying the 5.99 for YouTube viewing.

BanzaiCat

Welp, I just watched it on one of those free sites.

The Interview is pretty terrible. At the very best, it's totally underwhelming. But I can see why Kimmy wouldn't want this to see the light of day. I won't drop spoilers but it will be obvious just before the credits end.

Rogen and Franco do make some decent movies - I actually enjoyed This Is The End quite a bit - and this movie was what sounded like a really good idea, but it boils down to poo jokes, anal intrusion, and over-the-top bloodshed, 'just because' and not for any really redeeming comedic value. The entire time I watched it (and my daughter and son watched it with me), I kept hoping something funny would happen. I snickered occasionally, but it just didn't generate any funny in me.

To put it bluntly, my daughter said, once it ended: "That sucked."

On a 40@ the movies scale, this was maybe a 16, 18 tops.

Nefaro

They also reportedly approached Apple about putting it up on iTunes, but they refused. 

Sony and the theater industry weren't the only ones being limp about it. 

BanzaiCat

I've read so many gushing, glowing reviews of this movie that I keep wondering if I saw the same one they did.