Cold War Game coming to Steam in November.

Started by AchillesLastStand, October 07, 2019, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IICptMillerII

I watched a YouTube clip of gameplay in which I heard Soviet infantry say lines literally straight out of World in Conflict. Another person I talked to said the helicopter pilot lines were also ripped from Wargame: European Escalation.

I am not making the argument that only one game can cover one time period or anything absurd like that. Nor am I making the argument that games cannot share similar features. After all, games sharing similar features is how genre's are created. First person shooters are largely similar in overall mechanics and experience, but most of them have the decency to create their own artwork, lines, stories, etc to fill out the single FPS feature. Cold War Game clearly did not do that. It is a carbon copy of Wargame with ripped assets from it and other games covering a similar time period. Aside from some minor paintjob differences and a new engine (unreal apparently) I honestly cannot see the difference between it and Wargame.

Here's the thing too; if they had created this game with the Wargame dev's blessing in some way, I would be fine with it. As I said, I want more Cold War games because it is one of my all time favorite periods of military history, and because there are so few games right now that cover that era. But I cannot support something that is so sleazy.

And for what its worth, I think Regiments is a very promising game. That is a great example of a game that draws some very clear inspiration from other games (Wargame, Company of Heroes, and World in Conflct) but does it in its own way. I'm very excited to see how Regiments develops as it gets closer to its Fall release date, and I'm hoping that it is successful enough to prompt more studios to work on more games set in that era. Sea Power also gets an honorable mention in this category as well. There are great new games being developed right now that are either direct sequels to, or directly inspired by past amazing games, and I'm all for it. The way Cold War Games decided to go was the wrong way.

AchillesLastStand

Was just going to mention this, game was only on Steam a few hours before it up and vanished like a fart in the wind.
Would Steam be responsible for its removal?
Or did Eugen sic their dogs on em?

Destraex

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 03, 2020, 01:10:12 AM
I watched a YouTube clip of gameplay in which I heard Soviet infantry say lines literally straight out of World in Conflict. Another person I talked to said the helicopter pilot lines were also ripped from Wargame: European Escalation.

I am not making the argument that only one game can cover one time period or anything absurd like that. Nor am I making the argument that games cannot share similar features. After all, games sharing similar features is how genre's are created. First person shooters are largely similar in overall mechanics and experience, but most of them have the decency to create their own artwork, lines, stories, etc to fill out the single FPS feature. Cold War Game clearly did not do that. It is a carbon copy of Wargame with ripped assets from it and other games covering a similar time period. Aside from some minor paintjob differences and a new engine (unreal apparently) I honestly cannot see the difference between it and Wargame.

Here's the thing too; if they had created this game with the Wargame dev's blessing in some way, I would be fine with it. As I said, I want more Cold War games because it is one of my all time favorite periods of military history, and because there are so few games right now that cover that era. But I cannot support something that is so sleazy.

And for what its worth, I think Regiments is a very promising game. That is a great example of a game that draws some very clear inspiration from other games (Wargame, Company of Heroes, and World in Conflct) but does it in its own way. I'm very excited to see how Regiments develops as it gets closer to its Fall release date, and I'm hoping that it is successful enough to prompt more studios to work on more games set in that era. Sea Power also gets an honorable mention in this category as well. There are great new games being developed right now that are either direct sequels to, or directly inspired by past amazing games, and I'm all for it. The way Cold War Games decided to go was the wrong way.

Thanks mate. I hope they come back with whatever it is fixed, but not at the expense of wargame. I own every tiny little bit of Eugen's stuff and love them to death. So I have some loyalty that way for sure.
As for Regiments. No multiplayer means no dice for me. I am a social creature when it comes to gaming.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"