Main Menu

Time for an Xbox

Started by DicedT, September 04, 2012, 10:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

You won't find many games that have only 4Gb so if you want to install games you need at least the 20 Gb HDD. If the 720 comes out in a year...if...there's always an if or a but...I would say shoot a basic 360 with 4 Gb now and look on ebay for a cheap 20 Gb HDD and you are ready to play NOW. Many gamers switched to the 60 Gb drive and sell the 20 Gb drive (and then even to the 250 Gb selling the 60 Gb thingy) so it shouldn't be to difficult to find one :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...I bought an Xbox 360 with kinect last year, primarily for the kids.  I've bought a bunch of games for the kids, and a few for me.  I can't play FPS games on the xbox controller (my copy of Ghost Recon sits mostly un-used) and "good" flight-sims (Birds of Steal) are similarily unplayable unless you invest in a proper xbox-compatible joystick.  Action-oriented sandbox games (like Assassins Creed) are fun enough, but I find they get just a little repetitive (and I hate the popular game concept of "bosses").

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...maybe I should try other titles...but for me I'm zero for six on the Xbox.

Yours in non-console gaming,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

junk2drive

I haven't bought a console since N64 but saw this in the news yesterday

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows/games

xbox games that will be playable on Windows 8. I would suppose that a controller will hook up to the PC.

Bison

I'm holding onto Win7 for a long time I fear.

Florian

Quote from: DicedT on September 04, 2012, 12:45:44 PM
Now I'm not sure I want an Xbox after all...

Michael

I'm sure you want an Xbox ... really :)

eyebiter

Quote from: junk2drive on September 04, 2012, 09:03:43 PM
I haven't bought a console since N64 but saw this in the news yesterday

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows/games

xbox games that will be playable on Windows 8. I would suppose that a controller will hook up to the PC.

"Despite the name, you won't be able to just insert an Xbox disc into your PC and play it using the Xbox Games on Windows app (if only!). In fact, the Xbox Games on Windows branding won't be used for retail games at all, but only for downloadable games on the Windows 8 Store."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/what-xbox-games-on-windows-actually-means/

DicedT

What it comes down to is that I thought it might be more comfortable to play a shooter with an Xbox in the den, sitting in a comfy chair and watching a 37-inch HDTV, then hunched over the PC. But it sounds like the Xbox experience may actually be inferior (didn't realize that auto-targeting is different).

At $300, it's an expensive experiment. I think what I need to do is buy an Xbox from a store that I can return it to. Does Target or Kmart allow console returns without restocking fees? Do consoles go on sale pre- or post-Christmas?

Here's the Xbox selection at Target. I guess the 250 GB Value Bundle is best?

Michael

W8taminute

I'm not sure about being able to return consoles.  I picked up my Xbox with 250GB hard drive and 1 controller last year on black Friday for 200.  I also got a whole year of Xbox Live Gold for half price.  Crazy sale that day and I got it at Best Buy.  I definitely don't regret my purchase.

As far as shooters on consoles go let me just add that on the PS3 I do horrible but on the Xbox 360 I do much better and I suspect it's because of the Xbox's controller layout.  My best performance though is on the PC when it comes to shooters.  Taking all that into account if you ask me on which platform I'd prefer to play an online shooter it would be the Xbox simply because I can lounge around and view the carnage on the big screen.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grimnirsson

QuoteWhat it comes down to is that I thought it might be more comfortable to play a shooter with an Xbox in the den, sitting in a comfy chair and watching a 37-inch HDTV, then hunched over the PC.

Exactly :)

QuoteBut it sounds like the Xbox experience may actually be inferior (didn't realize that auto-targeting is different).

Your impression is wrong. Inferior it might be to those who only know the kb/m combo and are used to it. I'm used to the 360 controller and trust me, I'm good with it when it comes to FPS but I suck with kb/m, I can't hit anything and I walk around like a slow zombie. The controller is part of my body when I play, I don't think about holding a controller, my hand just acts and it feels great because it feels so natural. 'Auto-targeting' is a wrong term, the game does not aim for you, the feature (which can be turned off) just gives a very small snap on if you are near the target and you don't move the weapon. But usually you are running around and while you do that aiming at your enemies you won't even notice any 'auto' in your aiming.

www.homefrontcenter.de

DicedT

That's my situation. I find the keyboard and mouse awkward for shooters, though good enough for strategy games.

Michael

Grimnirsson

So go and buy a 360 and you will be fine :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

MetalDog

I think you can rent systems.  Or you used to be able to.  If there are still any brick and mortar video stores, Blockbuster or the Hollywood one, go in and see.  You might even try Gamestop.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: DicedT on September 04, 2012, 03:53:53 PM
If the Xbox 720 is coming out in a year, then 360 prices should start to drop over the next 12 months. Maybe I'm better off waiting. $199 for a 360 isn't so bad, but that's with only a 4GB hard drive, I think. Sounds like you can't have more than one game on your HD.

Looks like the next Xbox may be pushed back until 2014.

QuoteThe Xbox 360 turns seven this November, which is an awfully long time for a console to still be kicking around. According to a report from SemiAccurate, Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360 successor might not arrive until early 2014 because of chip production snags.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/next-generation-xbox-might-delayed-2014-due-chip-162059529.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: DicedT on September 06, 2012, 09:44:01 AM
What it comes down to is that I thought it might be more comfortable to play a shooter with an Xbox in the den, sitting in a comfy chair and watching a 37-inch HDTV, then hunched over the PC. But it sounds like the Xbox experience may actually be inferior (didn't realize that auto-targeting is different).

"Inferior" is a subjective statement. If you only play games on the Xbox you'll never know or care what the PC experience is like.

I have played both and I like the PC much better, but I've never seriously tried to get very good at console games. Is it laziness? Or do I really prefer a truly better product? I have no idea.

The strength of an Xbox is that the software works. You don't need to worry with upgrading drivers. And it's cheap.

PCs are finicky. I liken PC gaming to fly fishing - it is an expensive, technical sport. If you aren't interested in upgrading your video card drivers every couple of months then a PC isn't for you.

Personally, my Xbox was a waste of money. The only redeeming quality is that my family enjoys playing Guitar Hero from time to time other than that, it's a giant paperweight in this house.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on September 11, 2012, 11:09:37 AM
Quote from: DicedT on September 04, 2012, 03:53:53 PM
If the Xbox 720 is coming out in a year, then 360 prices should start to drop over the next 12 months. Maybe I'm better off waiting. $199 for a 360 isn't so bad, but that's with only a 4GB hard drive, I think. Sounds like you can't have more than one game on your HD.

Looks like the next Xbox may be pushed back until 2014.

QuoteThe Xbox 360 turns seven this November, which is an awfully long time for a console to still be kicking around. According to a report from SemiAccurate, Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360 successor might not arrive until early 2014 because of chip production snags.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/next-generation-xbox-might-delayed-2014-due-chip-162059529.html

After reading this news I'm a little worried.  I would not buy one of the initial production units.  When a company needs multiple contract manufacturing foundries to produce it's chips because yield is low that can only mean trouble.  When yield is low on a new product there is either a problem with the design or the production process or both.  I wonder who is the designer of the chip?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk