?Fallout 3 - Actually Playable Again?

Started by airboy, August 13, 2018, 05:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Fallout 3 has been unplayable without a huge headache for a while.  I have the boxed edition and some of the DLCs. 

GoG supposedly has the game of the year version for $20 that is playable again on the PC without the DRM crap.

You can see at:
https://www.gog.com/game/fallout_3_game_of_the_year_edition

Anyone here played this and can verify that it works again?

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Mine worked fine on my old rig, but on this new one it would not play. A lot of sources said you had to connect it to Microsoft Play, but as I was stubborn I refused to mess with that. It worked before, so why not again, without having another damned download shell to run it through?

I had to go register a free account at nexusmods and downloaded a couple of items. Can't recall what they were exactly but I could go back and find out. Once installed the game ran with no problems.

airboy

Banzicat I had similar issues.  It once worked fine and on the new rig it was not functional.  This is the only game in the fallout series that will not work on my rig.  Others on gog had the same issue but say the gog version works fine.

BanzaiCat

If you have Intel graphics, this is the first mod you need - the Intel HD Graphics Bypass Package.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/17209

Apparently Fallout 3 has issues with Intel graphics, so this mod somehow spoofs Fallout 3 into thinking you're using nVidia. No idea how it works exactly, but as I said, Fallout 3 works fine on my rig now.

You'll also want the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19122

For this one, you need to have all the DLC for Fallout 3 (Anchorage, Pitt, etc.). It fixes a lot of bugs and errors; a full list is at the link.

Gusington

I never bought any of the dlc for Fallout 3 - I really loved the base game. You guys recommend the dlc?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2018, 06:26:47 AM
I never bought any of the dlc for Fallout 3 - I really loved the base game. You guys recommend the dlc?

Yes, wholeheartedly. But buy them when they're on sale - I wouldn't do it full price.

IMO, the DLC for Fallout 3 is much more enjoyable than Fallout: New Vegas. Some of the F:NV DLC is frustrating and annoying; Fallout 3's DLC are great for powering up your character quickly and are a lot of fun.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I just made my way through the Anchorage DLC, which is a sim you go through for the Brotherhood of Steel to open a weapons cache; you are put in as a Special Forces soldier helping retake Anchorage from the invading Chinese. Lots of combat and you come out of it with some very nice toys.

Mothership Zeta is probably my favorite - you get kidnapped by aliens (yes, really), but given this Fallout universe it's not really that implausible. You get a ton of awesome energy weapons in it, and the storyline is great too.

Broken Steel significantly changes the ending of Fallout 3.

Point Lookout is just frigging weird, but it's a different experience (you're fighting inbred hillbillies instead of Ghouls and Super-Mutants).

The Pitt is pretty good, too.

The DLC really aren't that expensive to begin with (I think they're $2.99 each right now, on sale from $4.99). You can get the full GOTY edition for $9.99. On Steam there's a warning that it's not optimized for Windows 7 or later, but the fixes above should make it run - if you have Intel graphics, of course. Not sure what the fix would be if you have nVidia already. Maybe the Unofficial Patch can help with that?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: airboy on August 13, 2018, 11:01:34 PM
Banzicat I had similar issues.  It once worked fine and on the new rig it was not functional.  This is the only game in the fallout series that will not work on my rig.  Others on gog had the same issue but say the gog version works fine.

I'd buy it on GOG, then, if they have newer systems and it's not giving them trouble. One thing I really like about GOG's efforts is in making these old games work fine on new systems. Granted, it's DosBox doing most of the heavy lifting, but still...

Gusington

Sounds like I should re-buy it on GOG. My copy is old - I reviewed the base game for WG years ago. I want to understand the issue though - isn't the graphics problem with Intel, not NVidia? And GOG has the GOTY edition that runs better on Windows 7 or later?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I dunno about the GOG version - mine's Steam, and I'm running Intel graphics, unfortunately. If you have nVidia and buy it on GOG, I imagine it would run fine on your PC.

Gusington

I love when old games that I had totally forgotten about come roaring back again!

Ok so in the mod package you posted above, are there any graphics updates?

I imagine that there have to be some graphics modernization packs floating around out there somewhere.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Yeah, the link above goes directly to the page and it lists all the changes it makes to the game. You might need an account to view that page, though. If you don't have one you do not need to pay, though it will ask you to get a paid account - just FYI.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd