Justice for Juggalos!

Started by airboy, September 17, 2017, 10:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The Juggalos have been labeled terrorists and they aren't taking it anymore!

The largest rally in DC this weekend was for Juggalo Justice!

Juggalo Lives Matter!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/juggalos-on-the-mall-just-another-weekend-of-washington-protests/ar-AAs1y20?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=spartandhp

Gusington

Far be it from me to judge others' musical taste but I never saw the allure of Insane Clown Posse's music or following. That said, albeit weird and possibly demented, I don't think they are really a gang. Maybe they have members that are sort of Crips or Bloods 'like,' but not really much worse than that...right?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

There was a young man murdered near Spring, Texas about a year ago. The alleged perpetrator was a Juggalo, as was his girlfriend and many associates, one of whom witnessed the slow strangulation of the victim without interfering. If you had gone to the accused's Facebook, most of his friends are Juggalos and it is alleged that the murderer took friends and family to see the body and the burned out truck of the victim. I have a personal connection with the family of the murdered boy and they are counting down the days until the murder trial starts in late October.

I visited the Facebook page of the accused before he took it down. Juggalo allegiance was everywhere in sight. The murder did not occur because the Juggalos ordered it or because the murdered boy had somehow offended the Juggalos, rather it was because the murdered young man was gay and this offended the murderer. Personally, I've come to believe that the lifestyle, shared "values" and willingness to consider each other "family" because of the Juggalo connection qualifies as gang-like behavior. The murderer was very proud of his actions and as I mentioned, is accused of taking friends and family to see the body and burned truck of the murdered individual. He openly shared his crime among those he trusted, bragged about it, and it was only when one of them led the police to the body after being pressured that he was arrested after fleeing Texas.

We often associate the violence found in certain segments of gang activity with the glorification of said behavior found in the music listened to. Rap has particularly been accused of normalizing violence, misogyny and even cop killing through it's lyrics. I think Insane Clown Posse is a musical gimmick that found a niche and I have no personal issue with the group. People can find meaning in anything. People can worship an oddly shaped rock and then collectively decide human sacrifices upon the rock somehow make sense. I don't think the Juggalos are an organized gang by any means. I know people who are in organized gangs and they would eat the Juggalos for lunch. But in my eyes, whatever "lifestyle" that draws them to self-identify as Juggalos is disturbing and does not make for people I want to associate with.

I realize this thread was tongue in cheek and my response is a bit of a wet blanket. But there truly is a dark side to Juggalo Nation; no matter how many well-groomed office workers have a little hidden tattoo of the guy running with a hatchet, there are folks who take it much more seriously.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

That little guy's hatchet looks more like a meat cleaver.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

What you state above Steelie makes me think that the murderer is a murderer first and a juggalo second. The article above along with what you posted makes me think that the juggalos are formed primarily as a club to enjoy Insane Clown Posse's music, not to murder. So this makes the juggalos very different than crips or bloods or ms13 etc. that are formed with the express purpose to commit crime.

The crime above is gross and heinous but it was committed by just one person [and yes then supported by more] but I'm willing to believe that not all juggalos, or even the majority, are killers.

Whereas the crips, bloods, etc. want me to believe they are all criminals because it is part of their 'mystique.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

My point is more reflective of the mind set which leads one to self-identify as a Juggalo, Gus, and not simply as a fan of ICP. Through the accused murder's Facebook list of friends and posts, I viewed the Facebook pages of several other Juggalos and certain themes were consistent. I think I'm clear in stating that in my viewpoint Juggalos are not an organized criminal group, but the people drawn to self-identify as such may not be the folks you want as neighbors. I believe I was also clear in laying the blame for the murder on one individual, but the fact that he was so proud to share of his crime with others of the same ilk seems significant to me. Furthermore, and not taking issue with you personally in any way (you know I love ya, Gus), from my youth in Houston I do know people who are fairly high up in certain organized, well-known gangs and I acknowledge the difference in magnitude between the Juggalos and those organizations, much as there is a difference between half a dozen street punks with knives claiming their turf and MS13. But they are still lifestyle choices which glorify violence and have other identifying factors which tie them together, much as Juggalo Nation does.

But if we can't acknowledge the violence in the music from ICP may have anything to do with the lifestyle or crimes of Juggalo Nation members, then we need to give violent rap a break as well. Seems only fair.

airboy

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 17, 2017, 12:31:26 PM
My point is more reflective of the mind set which leads one to self-identify as a Juggalo, Gus, and not simply as a fan of ICP. Through the accused murder's Facebook list of friends and posts, I viewed the Facebook pages of several other Juggalos and certain themes were consistent. I think I'm clear in stating that in my viewpoint Juggalos are not an organized criminal group, but the people drawn to self-identify as such may not be the folks you want as neighbors. I believe I was also clear in laying the blame for the murder on one individual, but the fact that he was so proud to share of his crime with others of the same ilk seems significant to me. Furthermore, and not taking issue with you personally in any way (you know I love ya, Gus), from my youth in Houston I do know people who are fairly well high up in certain organized, well-known gangs and I acknowledged the difference in magnitude between the Juggalos and those organizations, much as their is a difference between half a dozen street punks with knives claiming their turf and MS13.

But if we can't acknowledge the violence in the music from ICP may have anything to do with the lifestyle or crimes of Juggalo Nation members, then we need to give violent rap a break as well. Seems only fair.

I'd rather listen to NASCAR than Insane Clown Posse.

If the guy you mention is guilty, I hope they fry him.  My wife likens Juggalos to Skinhead music fans.

I made the post because the whole thing is weird.

I can take it down if it upsets you.  That was not my intention and I had no idea it would be met with anything other than "those people are weird in public."

Steelgrave

It doesn't upset me in any way, Airboy. I probably should have left it alone and not commented at all. My knowledge of this crime and the level to which the murderer glorified his Juggalo lifestyle is inseparable in my mind, but a lot of people wear Sons of Anarchy jackets and it doesn't mean squat. Let someone put on that jacket and start thinking he's an actual 1%er and well...results may vary, you know?

I think your wife's comparison may be more accurate in any case. Juggalos = Skinheads. Pretty smart.

Gusington

I don't know any Insane Clown Posse music, thankfully. Same as I don't know any modern (released in the last 5 years) rap. Or any fans of each. Just not people I associate with.

I think there's a difference between people who self identify with these groups and the hardcore center, though. Like the 12 year old kid who puts on a red bandanna hoping to 'become' a blood vs. the murderer in prison who is 27 and has been a member since he was 12.

I don't know - both groups are not my cup of tea, for different reasons. But I personally take the crip/blood type gangs much more seriously than juggalos. Maybe that's a mistake. Maybe not.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on September 17, 2017, 01:09:01 PM
I don't know any Insane Clown Posse music, thankfully. Same as I don't know any modern (released in the last 5 years) rap. Or any fans of each. Just not people I associate with.

You mean I'm more up to date on modern music than you? Sad!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Fuckin' magnets, Gus.  How do they work?

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat