No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

<-- 468, actually. Just checked. :bd:

As much shit as I get here, I'm amateur hour compared to some o'youse.

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2017, 09:56:30 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 12, 2017, 09:04:30 PM
Man alive, does Jarhead even have 400 games on Steam?   :idiot2:

985, bruh.
I'm actually a little surprised it's still under a thousand.  Not hugely/entirely so, but a little.  ^-^ 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MikeGER

....in an act of zen-master style consumer reticence i have only 96 :o

but most of them were full prize 0-day purchases. Especially those with Matrix/Slitherine key migration to Steam for convenient updates, and anything with a WH40k tag 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on August 12, 2017, 10:22:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2017, 09:56:30 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 12, 2017, 09:04:30 PM
Man alive, does Jarhead even have 400 games on Steam?   :idiot2:

985, bruh.
I'm actually a little surprised it's still under a thousand.  Not hugely/entirely so, but a little.  ^-^

Give me a few days. I will try not to let you down.

In truth, the number is very deceptive. I think it includes DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Eh, DLC doesn't really count in my book.  If it did, I'd probably have closer to 80 games on Steam, when it's really about 40 (and that includes titles originally purchased through Matrix/Slitherine). 

So that means you probably only 500-600?  :D 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

HoodedHorseJoe

According to my Steam profile I own 234 games + 322 items of DLC.

Jumped back into this over the weekend. The tutorial is still pretty naff I think - needs to be more structured and definitely NOT on a hostile planet. Having to run back to your ship every 5 mins to recharge your shielding really hampers the first hour or so.

After that though, easy to fall in love with everything all over again.

Really going to try and give it a better go this time. Will be interesting if I do end up doing co-op, only really interested in doing it with my friends but it's very randomised/requires a lot of coordination.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 14, 2017, 02:06:57 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you on the game. Quite frankly, I enjoyed it for what it was, and wasn't really that disappointed by what it was not. Still, I think its pretty well established that the pre-release marketing trailers were disingenuous and misleading. Can it be absolutely proven? Perhaps not, but nobody has seen anything close to what was suggested by those trailers.

JH....I remember you posting about Empyrion-Galactic Survival.  I have quite a few hours into that game and was wondering how it compares with No Man's Sky.  Thanks.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on August 14, 2017, 03:24:21 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 14, 2017, 02:06:57 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you on the game. Quite frankly, I enjoyed it for what it was, and wasn't really that disappointed by what it was not. Still, I think its pretty well established that the pre-release marketing trailers were disingenuous and misleading. Can it be absolutely proven? Perhaps not, but nobody has seen anything close to what was suggested by those trailers.

JH....I remember you posting about Empyrion-Galactic Survival.  I have quite a few hours into that game and was wondering how it compares with No Man's Sky.  Thanks.

I have not played No Man Sky since the last two major updates have dropped. Overall though, NMS is more about exploration and discovery, whereas EGS is more about crafting, mining and building.  On the MP servers, you will have much more contact with other players in EGS than you will in NMS and I think combat and trade are larger pieces of the EGS experience, than what's in NMS. EGS is still in alpha state so its tough to compare. EGS is very likely to grow and change as it is further developed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

QuoteWill be interesting if I do end up doing co-op

NMS does not offer actual coop play, it's more a gimmick and maybe first step to include something more meaty someday although I am not sure the technical side of the game actually supports that level of coop play with you seeing the avatars, ships of the other players, doing missions, combat and stuff together etc.. These glowing orbs are just markers to speak with someone.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

Huge update hit today. Adds multi-player and major new features and polish.

https://www.nomanssky.com/next-update/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Well... time to give it another go....

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2018, 03:33:54 PM
Huge update hit today. Adds multi-player and major new features and polish.

https://www.nomanssky.com/next-update/

It would be pretty funny if after all the updates it would turn out to be an extremely amazing game.

Staggerwing

Here's hoping...

I had such great anticipation and I yet never even got off the first planet before I put the game away for future reconsideration.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

The game is definitely much better. Remains to be seen how it will hold up in the long run though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ian C

It's also now multiplayer by default.