Friday Bloody Friday

Started by FarAway Sooner, January 29, 2021, 01:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 30, 2021, 10:49:23 AM

Is there a non-ASCII version of Catalysm around? Seems like an interesting game, but I really cannot handle those ASCII graphics.

Yeah, the default release comes with a few different tilesets you can use.  It's just set to ASCII by default.  I like ASCII with a lot of games, but Cataclysm is not one of them.   :buck2:

The most popular (and best, imo) tileset doesn't come with the game by default due to some copyright issues or some such.  This one is called "UndeadPeople" and it looks awesome, and it's fairly straight-forward to set up.  https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

Quote from: airboy on January 30, 2021, 11:04:29 AM

Are you playing Cataclysm on your phone or a PC?

PC - I tried the phone version and found it very clunky and annoying.  The only roguelike that I enjoy on mobile is NetHack, which has a terrific Android port.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Quiet Sat. so I got in a little CMRT time with, "The Road to Minsk" a user-made campaign with an absolute massive map and I command a  whole Guards Tank Brigade.  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Quote from: al_infierno on January 30, 2021, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 30, 2021, 10:49:23 AM

Is there a non-ASCII version of Catalysm around? Seems like an interesting game, but I really cannot handle those ASCII graphics.

Yeah, the default release comes with a few different tilesets you can use.  It's just set to ASCII by default.  I like ASCII with a lot of games, but Cataclysm is not one of them.   :buck2:

The most popular (and best, imo) tileset doesn't come with the game by default due to some copyright issues or some such.  This one is called "UndeadPeople" and it looks awesome, and it's fairly straight-forward to set up.  https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

Quote from: airboy on January 30, 2021, 11:04:29 AM

Are you playing Cataclysm on your phone or a PC?

PC - I tried the phone version and found it very clunky and annoying.  The only roguelike that I enjoy on mobile is NetHack, which has a terrific Android port.

Thanks! In that case I am going to take a look.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

I spent the whole day in the yard yesterday and then sacrificed gaming time in the evening for sexy time.  You gotta take those targets of opportunity when they present themselves.

Today we're heading the a nursery to pick out some palm trees and cacti, but I am going to game tonight for sure!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Game time is sexytime for me. I am making sweet love to Panzer Corps 2 right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CptHowdy

reinstalled division 2 and have been grinding that. story is a little more relevant now with virus, quarantines, lockdowns, shortage of supplies etc.... definitely looking at the game from a new perspective!

jamus34

Here's what I'll be dealing with for the next 2+ days...
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Damn Jamus, that looks pretty tough. I've always wondered how you find a white car when it snows. Now I know, look for the tires.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH   :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

My best run in Cataclysm: DDA just went down the drain.  I chose the Helicopter Crash start, where you choose between a few different soldier classes (I picked Nat Guard, as it was the cheapest in character points) and start fairly well kitted up, but with grievous injuries.  I found an evac bunker and boarded up the windows and blocked off the doors, and had plenty of gear and wood and food to last me for, like, days at least...

Then I figured out how to get cars moving.  A whole new dimension of the game opened up.  I found out you can Examine a car/truck/bike/etc the same way you examine objects on the map, and it tells you everything that's wrong with it and what needs to be fixed.  It turns out, there's more driveable vehicles lying around Pelosigrad than I thought.  I was mobbing around in a sedan for a while before the doors got ripped off by hungry zombies, and I ended up having to leave it behind.  Luckily, there was a pickup truck down the road, ready to go, just like a bad Deux Ex Machina in a zombie movie.

Well, I snagged the pickup and took off in it, but in all my wisdom I decided to go back and get the spare tire and scissor jack I had in my sedan's trunk.  Long story short, I only barely made it back into the pickup in once piece (without the spare and jack), took off, and quickly lost control and drove into a lake.   #:-)

I dragged myself out in one piece - fairly badly injured, but no broken bones or anything.  Then I got mobbed on by a big angry group of... I don't know, flower people of some description.  CDDA is full of wacky enemies and these guys were faster than effing zombie dogs and feral runners, and killed me about ten times as fast with venomous bites.  I was dead before I could get more than 15 tiles away from the lake I crashed in.

Rest in peace, Frank Froste.  :'(
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

Quote from: al_infierno on February 01, 2021, 01:02:00 AM
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH   :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

My best run in Cataclysm: DDA just went down the drain.  I chose the Helicopter Crash start, where you choose between a few different soldier classes (I picked Nat Guard, as it was the cheapest in character points) and start fairly well kitted up, but with grievous injuries.  I found an evac bunker and boarded up the windows and blocked off the doors, and had plenty of gear and wood and food to last me for, like, days at least...

Then I figured out how to get cars moving.  A whole new dimension of the game opened up.  I found out you can Examine a car/truck/bike/etc the same way you examine objects on the map, and it tells you everything that's wrong with it and what needs to be fixed.  It turns out, there's more driveable vehicles lying around Pelosigrad than I thought.  I was mobbing around in a sedan for a while before the doors got ripped off by hungry zombies, and I ended up having to leave it behind.  Luckily, there was a pickup truck down the road, ready to go, just like a bad Deux Ex Machina in a zombie movie.

Well, I snagged the pickup and took off in it, but in all my wisdom I decided to go back and get the spare tire and scissor jack I had in my sedan's trunk.  Long story short, I only barely made it back into the pickup in once piece (without the spare and jack), took off, and quickly lost control and drove into a lake.   #:-)

I dragged myself out in one piece - fairly badly injured, but no broken bones or anything.  Then I got mobbed on by a big angry group of... I don't know, flower people of some description.  CDDA is full of wacky enemies and these guys were faster than effing zombie dogs and feral runners, and killed me about ten times as fast with venomous bites.  I was dead before I could get more than 15 tiles away from the lake I crashed in.

Rest in peace, Frank Froste.  :'(

Started playing this with your recommended tileset. I have no clue yet what I am doing, but having fun regardless. :)
First character I made started in some kind of shelter with another dude who requests me to find an American Flag, so we can raise it at the shelter.

I go outside and follow the road a little until I reach some houses.
Turns out everyone's turned to zombies, including the kids, who also seem to have gotten lightning quick reflexes!

I enter one of the houses in search of useful stuff, when one of those kid-zombies comes crashing through the window and sprints through the kitchen towards me.
I only have a swiss army knife to defend myself with and I can't outrun that kid.
To make matters worse, a zombified police K9 comes running into the house as well.

Suffice to say it didn't end well for me. I survived a whole 29 minutes! wow... :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 31, 2021, 11:32:01 PM
Damn Jamus, that looks pretty tough. I've always wondered how you find a white car when it snows. Now I know, look for the tires.  O0

That was just the start. Supposed to get 8-12 today on top of the 5 or so that dropped yesterday and last night. Plus another 1-3 tomorrow morning.

I hate the white stuff. Growing up my old man worked road department so I was stuck shoveling with every storm while my friends got to have snowball fights and enjoy other winter activities.
Insert witty comment here.