Friday Bloody Friday

Started by FarAway Sooner, January 29, 2021, 01:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 01, 2021, 07:13:19 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 01, 2021, 01:02:00 AM
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH   :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

My best run in Cataclysm: DDA just went down the drain.  I chose the Helicopter Crash start, where you choose between a few different soldier classes (I picked Nat Guard, as it was the cheapest in character points) and start fairly well kitted up, but with grievous injuries.  I found an evac bunker and boarded up the windows and blocked off the doors, and had plenty of gear and wood and food to last me for, like, days at least...

Then I figured out how to get cars moving.  A whole new dimension of the game opened up.  I found out you can Examine a car/truck/bike/etc the same way you examine objects on the map, and it tells you everything that's wrong with it and what needs to be fixed.  It turns out, there's more driveable vehicles lying around Pelosigrad than I thought.  I was mobbing around in a sedan for a while before the doors got ripped off by hungry zombies, and I ended up having to leave it behind.  Luckily, there was a pickup truck down the road, ready to go, just like a bad Deux Ex Machina in a zombie movie.

Well, I snagged the pickup and took off in it, but in all my wisdom I decided to go back and get the spare tire and scissor jack I had in my sedan's trunk.  Long story short, I only barely made it back into the pickup in once piece (without the spare and jack), took off, and quickly lost control and drove into a lake.   #:-)

I dragged myself out in one piece - fairly badly injured, but no broken bones or anything.  Then I got mobbed on by a big angry group of... I don't know, flower people of some description.  CDDA is full of wacky enemies and these guys were faster than effing zombie dogs and feral runners, and killed me about ten times as fast with venomous bites.  I was dead before I could get more than 15 tiles away from the lake I crashed in.

Rest in peace, Frank Froste.  :'(

Started playing this with your recommended tileset. I have no clue yet what I am doing, but having fun regardless. :)
First character I made started in some kind of shelter with another dude who requests me to find an American Flag, so we can raise it at the shelter.

I go outside and follow the road a little until I reach some houses.
Turns out everyone's turned to zombies, including the kids, who also seem to have gotten lightning quick reflexes!

I enter one of the houses in search of useful stuff, when one of those kid-zombies comes crashing through the window and sprints through the kitchen towards me.
I only have a swiss army knife to defend myself with and I can't outrun that kid.
To make matters worse, a zombified police K9 comes running into the house as well.

Suffice to say it didn't end well for me. I survived a whole 29 minutes! wow... :D

:DD Sounds about right for a first Cataclysm run!  BTW, the traits Fleet-Footed and Parkour Expert will allow you to easily outpace most enemies without burning stamina by sprinting.  I almost always take those 2 together!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

CJReich46

Quote from: airboy on January 29, 2021, 06:02:36 PM
I've been in a dungeon mood - and it has not worked out well.  I tried Wizardry 7 - and on a bigger monitor the pixelization was too much.  Then played Wizardry 8 - and remembered how slow the combat was and hit the first "the leveling system for monsters really sucks" part and decided to quit.

I'm now trying Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition which I've never played and hope that works.

Plus, I'm writing a review this weekend.

Some advice for Divinity: OS - While there's less "grimdark" it doesn't mean it's less deadly.  Two: Try to get the right synergy with your party members. I won't give spoilers, but one of the best features I liked about this game is you aren't stuck to a particular class. You can craft weapons and armor, and with skill they get better than the ones you find.  Use skills or spells every chance. Another one is to be careful with your exploration. But it is a well done game, the puzzles are fun too. But like most RPGs you know the drill: Save often, and talk to everyone. You will get clues better that way.  :)
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

Got just about a foot right now (of snow) and it's supposed to keep snowing until tomorrow night @ midnight. This is going to be a storm for the ages...Top 10.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2021, 02:41:44 PM
Got just about a foot right now (of snow).....

How much snow are you expecting? We just got 6" yesterday.    Also, JH you feeling better yet? 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tripoli on February 01, 2021, 06:08:32 PM

How much snow are you expecting? We just got 6" yesterday.    Also, JH you feeling better yet?

Feel like crap, although it's  all in the chest now. It's been a shit day. Wife is working overnight again, nanny called out due to the snow and I've been stuck in the house all day with the kids. Thanks for asking, bud.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Hang in there Big Man. Whatever doesn't kill you....Yeah, I hate it when people tell me that when I'm sick too.  >:(  Think about how GREAT you're gonna feel when this shit gets gone. It's like being 10 years younger.  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2021, 06:23:04 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on February 01, 2021, 06:08:32 PM

Feel like crap, although it's  all in the chest now. It's been a shit day. Wife is working overnight again, nanny called out due to the snow and I've been stuck in the house all day with the kids. Thanks for asking, bud.

Sorry to hear your still feeling bad, but it sounds like you are beginning to get over it, despite feeling bad. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

Being home alone with two sick children is pretty bad.  Being sick yourself at the same time is pretty much living hell.  I don't think I've ever had to do that, thank goodness.

I am a total baby when I get sick, like rub my tummy baby.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on February 01, 2021, 09:46:56 PM
Being home alone with two sick children is pretty bad.  Being sick yourself at the same time is pretty much living hell.  I don't think I've ever had to do that, thank goodness.

I am a total baby when I get sick, like rub my tummy baby.   :-[

LoL. My wife would tell you the same thing about me....but, of course, it's not true!  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I only had to do it once when my daughters were 2 years old and 6 months old. We all had head colds and The Wife was in Houston. I couldn't even scream at her over the phone because I couldn't breathe. Feels like it was just yesterday :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

.... Aaaand the power just went out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

I've heard it said, "When God closes the power, he opens a window."

Wait...ummmm....I hope I got that wrong somehow.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Sounds like a rough time, JH.
I remember us all getting food poisoning once. Having to care for sick children while sick yourself is total hell. Hope you get a good night's sleep. Hang in there.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ComradeP

I hope you and the family will feel better soon Jarhead.

-

The first day of February offered a reminder that, though air temperatures are not below freezing, it's still winter.

A light drizzle froze when it hit the bricks and transformed large parts of the city into a skating rink. Getting any work down outdoors took a while yesterday, but on the positive side: as I had switched having any kind of mood "off" for the rest of the day, I decided to spend some time on frustrating game sections that bugged me for a while.

I ended up making some decent progress in a Neverwinter Nights module and got some turns done for Panzer Campaigns.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45